Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hiscores in mame...

• 25-07-2002 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭

for some reason the hiscores aren't being saved..

using the latest version.. mame 0.61
    and have downloaded the latest hiscore.dat file as well..
    but for some reason it doesn't create the .hi (or whatever) file for the specific game (in this case its pang)

anyone a clue?
    or is there some config option you have to change in mame.ini?

cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Instant solution, stop using mame, it blows monkies. Its programmed to 'preserve old games', in other words....they're annoyingly sh1t programmers (i know one or two of them) and their emulator stinks as a result. Post whatever game you're playing (pong i presume) and i'll find another emu that runs it without the gayness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by bugs
    Instant solution, stop using mame, it blows monkies.
    Post whatever game you're playing (pong i presume) and i'll find another emu that runs it without the gayness.

Can't disagree with any of that LOL:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Aaah don't be such a twat, bugs. Just because MAME won't run on your 486, no need to take it out on everyone else.

I'm guessing you're one of those 15 year old Super Street Fighter Alpha Beta Turbo Ex III w4r3z kiddies who wouldn't know a good
    game if it bit you in the ass! :)

(Sorry - long day! I feel better after that!)

MAME maybe a little bit over the hill, but its still going strong, and still very popular. I've been following it (and using it!) for years now and it'll always have a place on my harddrive.

As for your question, Kali, I don't have pang installed, so I can't test it. I'll grab Pang and test it tonight.....

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Yes, i'm 12, i have no brain but with my "no brain"(tm) i can see that mame is not a functional emulator. Sound emulation and gfx emulation work, ugly but work. However, its probably got the worst coded core EVER seen in an emulator. Nothing else comes close to how badly they emulate sound. Run bubble bobble (a 3Hz arcade game) thru mame on anything 300Mhz or lower with sound on, and it knocks out about 20fps which sucks :)

I can only say that it does what it says on the tin, it preserves games, but makes them unplayable.
    There was an emu based on the drivers released by the mame team that was more for playing the games, (ie. it wasn't crap) but i can't think of the name. In fact i think its back being worked on again if i remember seeing it on a retrogames site somewhere.....now to go find it.

Yeah... Retrocade. I'm on the private beta list for it. Neil should have a release out soon.... The ONLY emu that plays Gyruss properly! :)

Retrocade in Windows does, indeed, rock.

- Dave.

• Advertisement

Kali ... I couldn't get high scores working in Pang either.

So I downloaded some extra bits (hiscore.dat and mameinfo.dat), stuck them in the same dir as MAME.EXE and now highscores are working. (Pang.hi was created automatically in the hi directory)

- Dave.

Advertisement