Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hi there, Newbie Looking For Advice...

• 26-07-2002 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hello, this is my first post although I've been lurking in the shadows 'watching you all' for a while now. I'm now looking for a little advice.

I've got a Sky Digibox/ FTV setup (fixed on 28°E) and would like to receive Astra at 19° also (just for the FTA French channels). Can someone tell me where I can get, mail order, an LNB block which will take, with the correct spacing, the 2nd LNB needed for this. I know it's not commonly done, but I also know it is an option for those, like me who cannot fix a 2nd dish or a motorised system.

Has anyone else done this? How hard is it to setup? I had my Astra 2 system set up in 5 minutes using a compass so reckon I should be able to handle it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seca2

If you only want one dish it will have to be at least 80cm,with two lnbs,a block lnb will not work[these are only good for astra1& hotbird]
    Where to buy...Get What sattellite and Tv..it has lots of adds
    Is it difficult ? If it took you 5 mins for astra2 then this will take you 10mins
    Success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Icehouse

Thanks for the reply, but yes I was aware that I'd need 2 LNB's. I'm looking for suppliers of LNB blocks (i.e the blocks that go on the arm of the dish and hold the LNB's in position) for Astra 1 and 2. They're more commonly available for Hotbird + Astra 1

Any takers with more info? Wotsat is not available where I am, so maybe a couple of links from that magazine would suffice? Cheers....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well click here for Wotsat Online

Click here for buying LNB's etc online, though not sure about blocks for Astra and Astra 2. I would imagine you'd need a bigger dish. chernobyl's yer man! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

/me*wipes the sleep from my eyes...*

Straight away, i would not advise using your digibox for this because it puts annoying obsticles in your way and thats no accident.
    Although 19.2 is pretty much all defaults when it comes to FEC ratings etc, you may find a channel or two that you want but because of the software limitiations of the digibox you just are not allowed to recieve the channel.

/my advice: get a FTA box.

Becuase the digibox has no DiseqC switching within the software it means that you would need to constantly keep changing to coax leads from 19/28 depending on what you intended watching and this is certainly feasible but will get annoying.

You could in theory just add a second LNb to the minidish and feed the second box from there but if thats an issue then i would be more inclined to upgrade to a bigger dish and place both LNb's of this and dump the mini dish.

If you go for a FTA box a world of possibilities are suddenly open to you and one for example is a motorised system.

A digibox is no fun and very restrictive, feed hunting is teh win sorry..
    :p

byte

Since we're on the subject of FTA receivers, I am considering getting one. I would ideally like one with loopthrough to go to my EON service (I imagine I can watch certain channels and use EON at same time provided they're both on same polarity and band). Would there be significant signal loss via the loopthrough?

What would you recommend, chernobyl? I considered a Humax F1 Fox though dunno if it's got loopthrough.

I believe there's also Strong FTA receivers. I am acquainted to the 4375 model with positioner (not my own though). Seems OK.

Or maybe Manhatten or Echostar? Gbsat?

TIA :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

hmm...what would i reci?
    At the moment i have the financial power of the punt but if i was getting into the game this is what i would be considering:

FTA: If i was trying to really save money i would opt for a FTA box but they are so limiting no just in Conditional Access terms but universally.

byte, you want a loop through but my old Fox did not have one but the Hummy 5400 did but that feature just gathered dust.
    I cant imagine it having an adverse effect of signal but im just guessing.

You can find lots of info that is still current on DVB recievers here
    If the box has a loop through, it is mentioned.

There are two recievers that have caught my eye this year, one is aimed at budget users but is an absolutely amazing box and the only feature it is missing is a lack of NTSC support (all Nokia users can breath a sigh or relief, the crown has not yet been removed) but other wise, for a STB <€300 this is unbelievable value and Tony might even be able to source one for you?

Enter the "Digenius tvbox ci"
    Input frequency 950-2150Mhz
    Symbol rate 4-45 MSys/S (SCPC/MCPC) (tested for 2MSys/S)
    LNB control 22kHz tone A/B, DiSEqC 1.0, 1.2
    LNB type Universal Type 1 or 2 / C band, overload protected
    Picture format 4:3, 16:9 Pillarbox, Letter Box
    Audio mode 32, 44.1, 48KHz Stereo, Dual, Mono, Join Stereo
    Memory 2500 TV and 1000 radio channels, 50 satellites
    Compatibility PAL
    RF modulator CH 21-CH 69 (supports PAL-B/G/I/D/K)
    Outputs 2xSCRT, 1xRS232, 1xCINCH audio, 1x F
    CA Slots 2x PCMCIA DVB CA type I, II

http://www.digenius.de/tvboxci_en

The box is super fast @ boot up, super quick at channel hopping and completely wipes the floor with every other €400+ reciever on the market.
    Im not kidding byte.
    With enough support Digenius will incorporate NTSC and thats when this reciever will be a "must have".

The other box is yet to launch and will come in at about €350 but this box has a list of features that im in awe at(all user optional though).

Enter the "Dream Box".
    Recently shown at mediacast: (but did not recieve much attention as most ppl were camped opposite the stands housing NDS and Canal..and why?..because those stands were parked next to each other..geeks waiting for a bar fight??).

250 MHz IBM PowerPC Processor (350 Mips)
    - Linux open source (most parts under the terms of GPL, accordingly expandable)
    - Supports Linux Standard API (Direct-FB, Linux-FB, LIRC, ...)
    - DVB Common-Interface Slot
    - 2 x Smartcard-Reader
    - Integrated Compact Flash Interface Slot
    - MPEG2 Hardware decoding (fully DVB compliant)
    - Support for MPEG4 decoding
    - Common available NIMs (DVB-S, DVB-T, DVB-C)
    - 100 MBit full duplex Ethernet Interface
    - USB Port Keyboard, Pointing Devices, WebCams and other devices
    - V.24/RS232 Interface
    - Big-size LCD-Display
    - Up to 256 MByte of RAM
    - integrated IDE UDMA66 Master/Slave Interface
    - Support for internal HDD in any capacity
    - unlimited channel lists for TV/Radio
    - channel-change time < 1 second
    - full automatic service scan

and on and on...this thing is digital hágendas.

More info here:
    http://www.dream-multimedia.tv/

..and the compulsory fanboy forum:
    http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/index.php

Hope i have helped.

byte

Hmm. That Digenius box seems to be a great piece of kit and €300 isn't bad for a box with twin CI. But, it doesnt seem to have LNB loopthrough which is a must if I want to connect both the receiver and DVB card at once without constantly swapping cable. :( I was offered a Nokia Mediamaster for €250 but I turned him down coz of lack of loopthrough (the reason he's selling it)

Looking at the limited list of boxes in Wotsat mag, ones that interest me (with loopthrough):

Hyundai HSS730 @ STG£149
    Manhatten Skyline 1000 ;139
    Manhatten Skyline 3000 ;169 (twin CI & digital audio output)

At just £98 is a Botech Star1 with loopthrough & Diseqc1.2, 2000 channels, 16 sat positions,

Of them all, I reckon the best would be Manhattan Skyline 3000 with 1.2 USALS? 5000 channels, twin CI, and digi audio input.

Whadda ya reckon? BTW, thanks for the very informative reply.
    Tony's away on hols at the moment and shopping on his site is suspended:(

Advertisement