Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get Angry

• 26-07-2002 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Let me start by apologising for not posting in an existing thread but this touches on a few different bases.
    The time has come to stop pussyfooting around and get ANGRY!.
    Sky have really lost the plot this time.They offer us a half service no ITV, C4, C5, BBC4, Choice, CBBC, CBEEBIES, Interactive E4, (Mostly) no BBc Interactive, no BBC radio on the EPG, no SKY+, no Mirror Subscription, No Sky Active. So what do they do ?, you think that they would be working around the clock to try and elieviate the problems and bring us up to the same standerd of the UK. No they increase the prices by 10 to 15%. We can not take this lying down Sky are showing a blatent disregard for the needs of their ROI customers. They are seeing just how far they can squeeze that extra Euro out of us. It is time we showed them just what a pain in the arse we can be. We should cut our subscriptions and hit them where it hurts, make our discontent known to our Celtic cousins in customer services (they seem blissfully unaware that we have a problem at all. And we should make our situation known to the press who are only too glad to print a Sky rip off story at the moment. Sky will not cut their prices they are too money minded for that, but they can make the increase more attractive ie some of the channels and services that we desire. Just pick up your phone, ring 1800 535 767 and say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore".

Thank You
    Corm5000
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Brian OD

UK viewers do not get 'ITV, C4, C5, BBC4, Choice, CBBC, CBEEBIES, BBC Interactive, and BBC radio' as part of their subscription, so why exactly (and considering we are outside the broadcast area for the channels and UK viewers pay a licence fee) do you think you have a right to them?
    Don't you think if you had a point that the newspapers, in the current climate over Irish internationals and this price rise, would be desperate to run the story?

As it happens, we - in the shape of the Irish terrestrials and BBCs 1 & 2 - get more channels for our subscription fee, which is now level with the UK, so if you continue to moan to Sky about it, they might just decide to charge us more for the extra channels, as that is the false logic applied above.

The only valid point you can make is about Sky's own interactive services, and they have said they'll be available later in the year.

Honestly, I think most of you on this forum are just desperate for any excuse to moan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seca2

Here Here Brian O D,in the last while this site is like the back seat of the bingo bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Brian OD
    UK viewers do not get 'ITV, C4, C5, BBC4, Choice, CBBC, CBEEBIES, BBC Interactive, and BBC radio' as part of their subscription, so why exactly (and considering we are outside the broadcast area for the channels and UK viewers pay a licence fee)

Obviously my point is weak given that I'm going to single out ITV, C4 and C5 but anyway... the licence fee has nothing to do with the argument wrt these channels given that they don't see a penny of the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭tombenjr

Don't forget that UK Sky Viewers
    can't get RTE 1,Network 2,TV 3 ,TG4
    so don't moan about it.And about ITV ,C4
    and C5 Sky are trying at the moment
    to get it on Irish EPG as said on Sky Cust
    Channel last month and if you want to
    moan take it out on the ITV,C4 and C5 managment
    not Sky manangement as they have no power to
    make them come on.

the licence fee has nothing to do with the argument wrt these channels given that they don't see a penny of the money

There are a lot of people using this site who seem to have no idea about the basics of tv coverage, reception and pricing - hence this being the only place that you have a ridiculous argument that Sky are at fault for not giving us channels that we have absolutely no right to have and it is not up to them anyway!

The licence fee argument covers the myriad of BBC tv and radio channels mentioned by the original poster. Other than that, programme rights are bought by ITV, C4 & C5 for the UK ONLY - what part of that is so difficult to comprehend exactly?

Do you seriously think that Sky DON'T WANT these channels on their RoI packages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There are a lot of people using this site who seem to have no idea about the basics of tv coverage, reception and pricing - hence this being the only place that you have a ridiculous argument that Sky are at fault for not giving us channels that we have absolutely no right to have and it is not up to them anyway!

The licence fee argument covers the myriad of BBC tv and radio channels mentioned by the original poster. Other than that, programme rights are bought by ITV, C4 & C5 for the UK ONLY - what part of that is so difficult to comprehend exactly?

Do you seriously think that Sky DON'T WANT these channels on their RoI packages?

Actually Brian I didn't say anything of the sort - don't start a flame war you won't win.

My point, which I freely admitted didn't apply to all the channals you mentioned, but only to the three I singled out, was that you're bringing up the issue of Irish viewers not paying a UK licence fee was irrelevant to the availability of ITV, C4 and C5 in the Republic. I didn't say any more - I didn't say anything less.

I assume your third paragraph is angled at someone else as it has bugger all to do with anything I said. Same with the first one. And I can comprehend the conept of territorial rights (and reception, and pricing - not exactly rocket science) - slightly more relevant than the licence fee but I didn't address that (mostly because it was a fair point - pointless coming back and arguing the toss when no-one's disagreed with you on that one yet).

So did you quote me by mistake?

Time for us all to lighten up - pointless getting a bug up somewhere uncomfortable

My point, which I freely admitted didn't apply to all the channals you mentioned, but only to the three I singled out, was that you're bringing up the issue of Irish viewers not paying a UK licence fee was irrelevant to the availability of ITV, C4 and C5 in the Republic. I didn't say any more - I didn't say anything less

Erm, if you'd read my original post I said - and indeed you quoted it yourself!
    we are outside the broadcast area for the channels and UK viewers pay a licence fee

We are outside the broadcast area for the channels. Programme rights do not apply here. Full stop. That covers the channels you mentioned, while the licence fee covers the BBC channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

So if you are not happy with sky. Either cancel your sub and get a b.b.c Ftv card or get chorus or ntl. And tell sky shove their crap service where the sun dont shine !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

The main thrust of my arguement seems to be getting lost. What I am trying to say is that I and many other people chose Sky as their service provider and the service we are getting is shoddy to say the least. We are bombarded with advertising from BBC and E4 promising us these great interactive treats but in the ROI we are treated to a blank screen. This I believe is due to SKY negotiating a bare bones contract with these channels in order to lure customers away from NTL/Chorus. we are treated as an afterthought a bit like the Irish editions of the british newspapers (slip in a page or so of Irish news that should keep them happy).This is Digital TV, the future. SKY need to understand that we expect the same standerd as our UK customers. Network 2 will be showing a blank screen tomorrow afternoon and the only way to watch the GAA is to pay Setanta for the privilige.This is Digital TV, the future....if you live in ROI that is.

Corm500

We are outside the broadcast area for the channels. Programme rights do not apply here. Full stop. That covers the channels you mentioned, while the licence fee covers the BBC channels.

I dissagree.
    UTV and channel four in their guise as services for Northern Ireland carry a lot of advertising aimed at the ROI.
    The former is actively seeking to be on the ROI Sky EPG, the main stumbling block being Granada tv's interest in TV3.
    They through their huge influence at ITV network centre do not want UTV there.
    Sky do have a conflict of interest in being both a platform owner and a channel owner.
    It is not in their interest to have UTV there as it would take viewers and ROI advertising revenue away from them.
    NTL and Chorus are platform owners and successfully got the likes of UTV and channel four on their system for a price.
    They did this because their customers want those channels.

Sky digital is a much bigger and more influential company than chorus.They could negotiate and get UTV and channel four on Sky in ROI.
    They do know that their customers want them.
    But the conflict of interests between being a platform owner and a channel owner means they will be less than helpfull.
    So you see it's not strictly correct to say that Sky have no blame in this matter.
    And that is likely to remain the case untill Sky is regulated in ROI, the cable companies are regulated here but Sky is not.
    And indeed the lack of nationwide DTT here which would not own tv channels and which would carry UTV and channel four means again the not entirely blameless Sky have no incentive to encourage the arrival of UTV and ch4 as it would be competition for Sky one etc
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

"Network 2 will be showing a blank screen tomorrow afternoon and the only way to watch the GAA is to pay Setanta for the privilige.This is Digital TV, the future....if you live in ROI that is."

corm500 you havent researched that enough. Sky havent blocked the GAA on Digital TV, RTÉ havent Blocked it. The GAA have. If you have a problem with that, as I do, Go to the GAA about it. Its being well documented not just on this site, but also in the national press. People are pointing the finger at the wrong People. BBC is a british company aimed at the British Market, that is why they have advertisted BBCi, Sky were the same to a few years ago, as were Channel 4, UTV and E4. Sky Sports is 100% aimed at the British market, why because they are British Channels. So why should a channel with a British License prodcasting in the UK, but!! subscrided to the same Channel by Irish and European viewers change there adverts???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by DaveH
    Sky Sports is 100% aimed at the British market

why then would they buy the exclusive live rights for ROI home games :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

The Ex-pats living in the UK, Not meant to be rude but, Anyone want to guess how many ex-pats live in the UK? The have the rights to the German and Spanish League!! Why cause it will up their subscribitions. You see this is were Sky Sports worked and ITV Digital failed. Sky bought the rights to the big Soccer. Premier League, Spanish League, German League, Scottish, English, Irish internationals. What happens 6 Million subscribers in the UK, 250k in ireland, plus the Sky sports subscribers on NTL\Chorus, and on cable in the UK. My family watched the Irish matches vs Holland and Nigeria in Spain via Sky Sports. ITV Digital crazy money for 2nd rate football..end product....Bankrupt. Sky pay crazy money for Top Class Football...end product...one the biggest tv broadcasters in the World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by DaveH
    The Ex-pats living in the UK, Not meant to be rude but, Anyone want to guess how many ex-pats live in the UK?

I don't, but I'd put money on it being less than the population of Ireland.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seca2

irish people living abroad are very irish minded and anything irish is worth the money,even i pay 4euros for the Sunday indo here in Holland,so it does not matter how many ex pats there are,they are willing to spend good money for irish sentiment and sky know that

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Culchie Boy, please change your sig now! I'm editing your message to omit it in this case...I refer you to the rules of the ICDG forums regarding sigs.

A lot of the issues here have been debated before. However I think both Sky and UTV/Channel 4 agree on the major points of those channels being available in ROI. But its not as easy as that.

Look at RTE and Sky...a deal is signed, sealed, and delivered for the RTE stations to be available in NI...but it hasn't proved simple to clear the rights issues, but until they are cleared, they won't be available.

Advertisement