Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not detecting hard disk

• 26-07-2002 12:41pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Right, I have this old (at least 6 years old) HD that I want to pull some info off. It was detected fine yesterday in two different machines but today it's not being picked up in either machine. I've changed the cable (after checking the new cable worked) and that's made no difference.
    Anything I can try to get it picked up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

Can you give more information please
    Like HDD make/model and MB + BIOS model & versions

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Motherboard: whatever comes in a dell optiplex GX1
    BIOS: A02
    HD: Seagate st-1144a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Is the drive spinning up without any odd sounds. If this is okay then I would check your primary/secondary jumpers on the drive. Also worth spinning up the drive with no other IDE's on the cable to see if it's a clash with another HDD, CD etc.

There's no other ide devices on the cable.
    It does spin up, with no unusual sounds.
    No jumpers on the drive itself.
    Fecking thing. I must have buggered it yesterday when I took it out of one of the machines.

You will have Primary/Secondary jumpers somewhere on the drive (many old Seagates had these on the drive controller board and not on the end of the drive).

If you've tired the drive on different IDE cables in different machines(on which it has previously been seen) then you've got it down to the drive, in which case the only changes you will be able to make are slave/master/ATA compliant etc.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Occidental
    You will have Primary/Secondary jumpers somewhere on the drive (many old Seagates had these on the drive controller board and not on the end of the drive).
    Oooh...found them. It's set to mtr which I presume is master and ACT which I dunno. The other options are EWC, SLV and LT. SLV is obviously slave, and I don't know what the rest are. Should I try EWC and LT rather than ACT?

Just realised how old that drive is, 130MB. Have a look at the link below which gives you the Seagate settings. First off I would try it as a slave drive.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/ata/st1144a.html

If you don't get any joy, Seagate should have a diags program that you can download which will run a few diags on the drive.

Yeah, it's fairly ancient. And it decided to work all on it's own without changing anything. Bloody typical. That's a few hours of my life down the tubes.

Advertisement