Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP formatting probs..

Options
  • 26-07-2002 1:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When i try to format my primary hd i get the following message.

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD BE INVALID. would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (y/n)

When i press yes. I am returned to the c: prompt and no format takes place.

I have also tried formatting from the XP recovery console, after typring y to proceed with format after about 5 seconds i am returned to the command prompt. Have also tried using a boot disk to boot to dos but to no avail.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Run fdisk and wipe your partitions, then reformat.

Or use a linux boot disk to get you a more powerful fdisk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

no partitions to delete is what fdisk says.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gah, I didn't read your first post properly.
    Originally posted by Chief---
    When i try to format my primary hd i get the following message.

Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD BE INVALID. would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (y/n)

When i press yes. I am returned to the c: prompt and no format takes place.

OK, so now the HDD has been dismounted, now you can try format it. If that doesn't work, get a decent partition manager, or a linux boot disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

make a boot disk & reboot w/ it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Are you trying to format from an XP install CD or from withing Xp itself.

Also is you have a Win95/98 boot diskette handy you will be able to delete XP partitions without any problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm assuming you're trying to format from within XP, with XP running off the primary drive? That's not going to work. When it asks you to force a dismount, say no, and it should give you an option to format it next time you reboot. Say yes, then reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Here..im running XP at the moment, and Im wondering is it possible to work with your hard drive in dos, if the HD is formatted for NTFS.

I created a boot floppy and it loads into real dos grand, but my hard drive isnt there. Cant detect or anything. Im guessing its cause of it being NTFS. Is there anyway around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

DOS or WinWoes 95,98 can`t see NTFS drives, not sure on a way around it, although i(myself) would have no reason to do this as i dual boot 2k+xp and have a spare computer to access hard drives from.

You can of course boot into the recovery console which is PC-DOS(i think) and you can access NTFS drives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I was able to format from the windows xp cd using the recovery console.

Tks for the help lads and ladettes

Advertisement