Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bloody unix!

• 03-06-2001 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok,
    i have been looking at a lot of support jobs in england recently, for both desktop and network positions. but bugger me if most of them are looking for unix as well.
    can someone point me in the right diretion of unix. ie, what the fluck is it?
    ive never used it, and ive never even seen what it is.
    anyone know any nice websites that explin unix in nice easy terms so i can at least say i konw what its is....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    ok,
    i have been looking at a lot of support jobs in england recently, for both desktop and network positions. but bugger me if most of them are looking for unix as well.
    can someone point me in the right diretion of unix. ie, what the fluck is it?
    ive never used it, and ive never even seen what it is.
    anyone know any nice websites that explin unix in nice easy terms so i can at least say i konw what its is....
    </font>
    Unix is an OS for big servers, usually. Linux is a variant of it. If you know your way around Linux, you pretty much know your way around Unix (at least until xinetd came around frown.gif ). FreeBSD might help you too.

The FreeBSD handbook is definitely worth a read. Just check out http://www.freebsd.org .

And if you see any spare jobs, give me a shout! smile.gif

... except they're damn well in England! Sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Eamonn, install Linux somewhere and start ****ing round with it. Maybe do some simple C programs on it too, give you an idea of whats there. It's not that hard to get the hang of. Cmd line like DOS is really powerful in UNIX (its the main way to interact with the OS).

Nae bather to ya.

Alo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trojan:
    Eamonn, install Linux somewhere and start ****ing round with it. Maybe do some simple C programs on it too, give you an idea of whats there. It's not that hard to get the hang of. Cmd line like DOS is really powerful in UNIX (its the main way to interact with the OS).

Nae bather to ya.

Alo.
    </font>

i figured it was a command line OS. to be honest one of the reasons i dropped out of college was because i was crap at C.
    lets face it, i think that anyone who can program a computer language is either a)very boring, b)a coplete maniac or c)obviously cant spell....
    might just have a look at it though even if it is to just load it and look around. i was going to try it earlier in life, but back then there was nice gui interfaces and people always moaned that you had to write your own drivers etc for adding cards etc smile.gif
    just seemed like to much hard work!

...but just like DOS, it has things like Windows 3.1 (only a lot better). KDE and Gnome rock as GUI's.... X Windows is what's used to display graphics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

To me Linux and Unix are more about a state of mind than os'. And that's a state of mind I don't want to be in.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ya get gui's to run on os, eg. red hat, i looks quite like windows but has some more interesting features!

cuts out the need to remember all those dos like commands!

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Learn about vi - it's the "Notepad" of Unix. Your main tool for the job.
    If someone talks to you about Emacs - run away and phone the Gardaí.

vi-emacs.jpg

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    We were all set for a game of Ice Hockey when Frank Williams says "Sorry lads, I've forgotten my skates!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:

</font>

i spent 3yrs working with unix and kept learning new stuff about it everyday ... i don't think its something you can learn from a book, you need the hands on experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Kharn - I want that t-shirt biggrin.gif

P.S. Whitewashman - Read this and all will be revealed http://www.samag.com/articles/1998/9807/9807f/9807f.htm

I just started messing around with Linux and am trying out Solaris as that is what they use at work(Linux much nicer tho biggrin.gif) I always have Google open and just type what I am looking for usually get best answers from bulliten boards etc G'Luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 unsane

can i axe you a question??

you are a moderator of this board and you dont know what unix is.

right, i understand that you might not moderate the board in the sense that you actually work with the html etc.

but christ. how can you not know what unix is????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Ah, now it all becomes clear. 'unsane' is not the only one to see a direct link between a general 'Work' board and a server operating system. rolleyes.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I told you this would happen Conor. biggrin.gif
    Just cos he's a Mod, doesn't mean he has any involvement with Unix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭[fist]Pi$$er

didnt bother to read the replies btw if u have no idea the For Dummies books are a must, they are great for covering all the stoopid Qs.

Dont want to buy them? #bookz on Undernet

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by unsane:
    can i axe you a question??

you are a moderator of this board and you dont know what unix is.

right, i understand that you might not moderate the board in the sense that you actually work with the html etc.

but christ. how can you not know what unix is????
    </font>

i tell you what, you can ASK me a question.
    at least try and use english. its the prefered form of communication here.
    i am a moderator of a board and yes i do know what unix is. the meaning of my post is to find out how unix operates and works.

and since you seem to know so much, why dont you explain the meaning of life to me. i mean, youre living, you are alive, therefor you should be able to tell me that?

normally id say the most stupid question is an unasked one. but im seriously thinking of redefining my definition on that one.
    try not to be such a plank in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Learn about vi - it's the "Notepad" of Unix. Your main tool for the job.
    If someone talks to you about Emacs - run away and phone the Gardaí.</font>

Aah no way... Emacs is the daddy and VI knows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

you'd be surprised.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NinjaBart:
    you'd be surprised.</font>

correct. i would be surprised, but only if it was a really wet paper bag

shouldn't you be off getting some unix skillz?

shouldn't you be off getting some unix skillz?</font>

shouldnt you be having your afternoon nap or is creche out early today?

• Advertisement

I've just had my nap thanks. Beats working. biggrin.gif

don't make me smack you.

don't make me smack you.</font>

you wouldnt smack your way out of a wet paper bag

I've just had my nap thanks. Beats working. biggrin.gif</font>

yes i can see youve had your nap. it has obviously allowed you to think up some really good comebacks....

I'm not sure what to say to a man who's so intent on stopping me from smacking Regi.

I'm not sure what to say to a man who's so intent on stopping me from smacking Regi.</font>

im a pacifist and its my board so i'll post what i like

Ok, I didn't realise you were mod, I assumed a moderator would be trying to keep retarded threads like this to a minimum rather than encouraging them.

I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

WWMan is really a cuddly teddybear NinjaBart.. that will probably rip your throat out 5 months later when you least expect it. He has your IP address at least. tongue.gif

wwman.gif Unix is a large ham sandwich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Hay Eamo

If you find out anything of intrest could you mail me?

I've been asked by my new boss to learn how to use it

Thanks

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement

Ok, I didn't realise you were mod, I assumed a moderator would be trying to keep retarded threads like this to a minimum rather than encouraging them.

I'll leave it at that.
    </font>

well, no...
    its not a retarded thread as it originally asked about information regarding unix.
    but since you appeared and started making silly statements i felt i ought to oblige and reply back to you.
    anyway, i am a very easy going moderator and dont mind engaging in mindless banter every now and then.
    sutty, the links given above are useful for an over view of unix which is exactly what i was looking for. however, i dont think there is a 'grasp' that you can get with unix, you either do it or you dont. i didnt realise you had to do programming and stuff with it either, so its of my list of things to do
    i'll stick with NT and win2k. much easier

Advertisement