Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bloody unix!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sutty:
    Hay Eamo

If you find out anything of intrest could you mail me?

I've been asked by my new boss to learn how to use it

Thanks
    </font>

Sutty, just get him to give you an old machine, p1/p2 whatever and install something on it. Linux or freebsd are good choices and fiddle with it.

Ive learned so much more from fiddling and breaking things(which happens very often) than from books wink.gif

If you need cd's for either you can give me some blanks and ill sort ya out. Im not that far away from you (unless youve moved from leixlip wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Snaga (edited 19-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

wwman.gif you don't have to know programming. It helps but it isn't important. What is important is that you know how operating systems work and how hardware/software works together and networking and security.

The rest to Unix is just knowing the commands. (I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for that. smile.gif)

Get a good book, and install the OS on your machine and play with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ta snaga

How many CD's do you need?

would you be able to meet me tomorrow?

What Linux is it btw?

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    but since you appeared and started making silly statements i felt i ought to oblige and reply back to you.</font>

It was a simple joke regarding what Regi said about emacs. He and I have had pico/vi slagging matches before. My statement regarding the "retarded thread" was about the exchange you started with me. Just drop it.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">sutty, the links given above are useful for an over view of unix which is exactly what i was looking for. however, i dont think there is a 'grasp' that you can get with unix, you either do it or you dont.</font>

There are certain concepts which you need to "grasp" when using unix. If you don't get them at first, things will still work for you in general, but certain things may appear strange if you are not used to the semantics of stderr Vs stdout when redirecting output, or understanding exactly what the shell does when you construct a pipeline, the concept of "everything is a file" etc. Most introductory unix books will cover these though, and they're not tough once you know them.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">i didnt realise you had to do programming and stuff with it either, so its of my list of things to do
    i'll stick with NT and win2k. much easier
    </font>

Using unix doesn't demand that you learn how to program, although unix administrators do get into the habit of writing scripts (shell, perl, python etc) to automate simple tasks, mainly because it tends to be a lot more straightforward to do so than it is on Windows.

As for windows being simpler, I think it's a lot simpler to begin with as finding how to get at configuration options etc is a lot more obvious, while unix can be arcane for the novice. Just about any unix admin who becomes used to using it will generally not want to touch windows with a barge pole, generally because of what is viewed as inflexibility, and general pain when changing configurations etc. Remote access to windows machines is a royal PITA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sutty:
    Ta snaga

How many CD's do you need?

would you be able to meet me tomorrow?

What Linux is it btw?

</font>

Well in linux ive mandrake 8 and RedHat 7.1, both of them are 2 cd distros. Id recommend mandrake for ease of use.

And ive freebsd 4.2, 1 cd. I havent had the chance to play with it yet.

So mail me whichever ones you want and ill burn them in work tomorrow. The mail addies in my profile and we can arrange a meet too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I send the mail last night, along with my mobile number

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

Advertisement