Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

V

• 26-07-2002 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Anyone else love that programme ? It used to scare the bejaysus out of me when i was a kid

Anyway ..... I bought " V- the original mini series" on DVD about 6-8 months ago and only got around to watching yesterday, brilliant, but its only the first 2 hours. So i went to play.com and WOOOOHOOOOO the sequel is out on DVD on the 6th of August !!!

Look here if your interested

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Anything Michael Ironside is in gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I missed it the first time around but Sky One repeated it around (at a guess) five or six or seven years ago, the whole thing too. God it was awful, but terribly addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Aye the original mini series was very smart indeed.It was show by UTV to countet the Olympics that the BBC were showing.

Sadly the curse of success hit the show and this led to the dreadfull second ongoing series which was complete crap.The budget was so low they couldnt even afford to use the funky alien voice for the visitors and this also led to the use of the same old scenes for the various shuttle and mothership effect clips just like in Battlestar Galactia.

The story was also terriable with the whole "starchild" subplot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

Agreed ... the original mini-series was 2 hours long then a year later was "the final battle" which was just as good ...that ended with them killing the visitors with the red powder stuff up untill then it was a continous story and was brilliant

But then thay came back with a second series (technically a 3rd)
    and that was a different story every week , repeated SFX and no more alien voice ... but i still watched it as did many due to the fact the original was so good. They didnt even finish that damn series ..the last episode was a huge cliff hanger with that bloke getting onto the leaders ship with a bomb ( i think) and then we never found out what happened. pfff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I remember the "Here, mousey mousey..." scene freaking me out when I was young. Saw it again a couple of years ago, and it looks like its made of marshmallow! :)

Great show, though.....

Do you think a big budget remake would do well?

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Venom
    Aye the original mini series was very smart indeed.It was show by UTV to countet the Olympics that the BBC were showing.

Sadly the curse of success hit the show and this led to the dreadfull second ongoing series which was complete crap.The budget was so low they couldnt even afford to use the funky alien voice for the visitors and this also led to the use of the same old scenes for the various shuttle and mothership effect clips just like in Battlestar Galactia.

The story was also terriable with the whole "starchild" subplot.

Aye, the tv series was utter pants. Beyond question.

But - and its a big but - what ITV showed was actually a combination of V - the original miniseries, and V - The Final battle which was a second miniseries. The TV series was only comissioned after the repeat success of the second mini.

It is this second miniseries which is about to be released on DVD, and damn have I been waiting for it since the first one was released last year sometime.

jc

Funnily enough, the final episode of the spinoff series WAS made, just never aired.

So to put you out of your 17 year misery, go to the following link to find out how it ends!!!!

http://www.tvtome.com/V/eplist.html

- Dave.

Oops, my mistake.

It was scripted , but never made! :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I always though that the first V to be shown on UTV was a 5,2 hour long mini series.

What part was the first and second of this as the filming of the visitors arriving and the balloons droping the red dust as none of the cast had aged from start to finish,where by the second series they did look older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

The first mini series was in 1983 and was 2 X 2 hour episodes and ended with the formation of the rebels starting there campaign ... it ended with the black guy spray painting a red V on to a door.

The second mini series (the final battle) was in 1984 and was 3 X 2 Hour episodes and ended with the red dust and the visitors retreating ...then later in 84 the came back with the tv series, it suffered a huge drop in ratings and was cancelled in the second last episode (Bastards !!!!)

• Advertisement

I always thought it was one 5 episode series too. I believe episode 2 was the end of the first series, followed by 3 episodes the following year, ending with the red dust.

Follow the link I posted above for proper series/episode breakdown and timeline.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭JarJar blinks

Day of the Triffids. > spelling? and War o' the Worlds were much better.

V was still great, I still remember when the mistress swallowed and ate that Rat, yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah, this thread has bought back some happy memories!

V was very cool in a terrible, cheesy US TV mini-series sort of fashion, I have to admit to not seing even a single second of the follow-up series but it sounds like I did'nt miss much. In a way,
    V was the Independence Day of its er day.

Speaking of aging telly sci-fi, any Blakes 7 fans here? :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

Anyone else love that programme ? It used to scare the bejaysus out of me when i was a kid
    Scared me too can still remember when the alien ate a mouse live saying "mousey mousey" the alien not the mouse. We had a spanish student in our house at the time and when she had gone home she sent me a set of pictures of mice to remind me of V. It obviously played on her mind too...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

This show was fantastic (if a bit preachy). When you were a kid the visitors seemed so powerful and genuinly scary. Even the 'second' series had an effect on me (probably because I was young at the time). On repeat viewings series 2 is clearly lacking but the 5 original episodes are still quality and the performances of Michael Ironside and Jane Badler in particular make this show a must watch if you've never seen it.

There's a good site at http://www.enqueue.com/v/ for anyone who's interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

When it was played on NET2 a few years ago i used to watch it. Its nothing to scream about but its not pants if ya catch my meanin

Advertisement