Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i hate tech support

• 22-06-2001 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭

Could be worse.
    I hadda support American Consumers for 2 years! And they take the biscuit!

The call i remeber the most started off like
    " This is air traffic control in some sweaty redneck place. We have a XXXXX (home pc) "

Hehe, cheap b******s bought a home pc, 'cause of course its cheaper, but a they found out, if you have return to base warranty, on a mission critical system, and lightning frys the system ..

Still brings a smile to the face.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I agree Australians are stupid

-A New Zealander- biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id disagree

-an australian-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

after saying i would never go back to techsupport. i have been forced to take a position with an australian isp to make up some funds so i can continue travelling. the pay is not bad (works out about 10 quid an hour and i can do as many hours as i want) but it's fu(kin soul destroying. it's not bad enough that i have to deal with muppets but they they are australians and stoopid. god i get the most fu(kin anal questions: like "does it cost more to connect to american webpges as i don't want to pay international call charges"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

Eamo,
    If you're an Australian I rest my case.

- An Irishman in Melbourne -

[This message has been edited by stu_69 (edited 24-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

NO! <<shudder>>... nooohohoho ;(
    I'd never go back to tech support, it was horrible.... HORRIBLE!!!
    The things they did to me in that place... I still wake up at night screaming.

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by stu_69:
    Eamo,
    If your an Australian I rest my case.

- An Irishman in Melbourne -
    </font>

you may rest your case, but its you're not your. looks like australians arent that stupid after all smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I dont know which is more frustrating - being the tech talking to some retarded eejet who doesn't know his ass from his elbow or caaling tech support where you get the feeling they're reading from the manual and gernerally don't have a clue what there doing and u have to spell out exactualy, step by step, they have to do fix ur problem.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keeks:
    I dont know which is more frustrating - being the tech talking to some retarded eejet who doesn't know his ass from his elbow or caaling tech support where you get the feeling they're reading from the manual and gernerally don't have a clue what there doing and u have to spell out exactualy, step by step, they have to do fix ur problem.</font>

that doesnt make sense?
    you say you call tech support and tell them step-by-step how to fix the problem?
    what are you phoning for in the first place?
    on the other hand, the reason tesh support do step-by-step trouble shooting is because its proceedure. any tech will tell you that trouble shooting is a skill, and if you cant trouble shoot you cant do your job. simple as that. anyway, if they fix your problem whats the problem. mind you im not saying that tech support is brilliant either. here in gateway most of them are complete w@nkers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I know it doesn't really make that much sense from ur point of view. But this is how it is for me. I consider myself to technically adept in most areas, and as an engineer i know all about procedures but all the technically ability or procedures in the world can not replace common sense, which is what most tech support ppl lack.

Take for example an experience i had years ago with Gateway. I had the bios password set but somehow managed to forget it or changed it or something but i managed to lock myself out of the computer. At the time i couldn't find the motherboard manual explaining where all the jumpers were on the board. It took between 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour fot the tech guy to tell me which jumper to jump.

"Hi, can you tell me which jumper on the motherboard you jump to clear the password in BIOS"

How hard is it to understand that.

He went through a whole load of BS b4 he eventually told me it was J27.

Even in my job its painstakeing talking tech support.

As for reason for talking to tech support. Because I dont have access/permission etc. to do what i want/need to do. Its like you said, procedures have to be followed.

And as for the problem if they fix it - it is a pain in the fu<king @rse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I worked in tech support for 18 months and believe me it's one of the hardest most underpaid and ungrateful forms of work within IT. The person on the end of the phone is not getting paid much and takes agro from close to every caller. I think I got an average of about 1 nice, polite and grateful caller a week and that's taking at least 75 calls a day. It's torture.

.logic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement