Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sun damage?

• 26-07-2002 5:11pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

ok, I dont know the answer and hav'nt looked it up on the net yet, so any help is appreciated.
    I recently was somewhere where I got sunburned really bad...after a week I turned a nice shade of brown, went out in the sun again and got even darker...but i have noticed a load of freckles type...light brown small freckle looking dots where I got burned the worst...are these permanent...will I get more everytime I get more sun? I am not usually in the sun much and tend to have mikly white skin...ofcourse my family is like. ooo, watch out for the skin cancer and stuff...but I am concerned with the little freckles...does anyone know about this?
    afaik the skin cancer happens to people who spend a lot of time in the sun throughout htier lives...I do not. I am concerned with the freckles. . . I know, its vain, but I cant help it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

I have salo (sp??) skin and tan quite easily, if im in hot sun tan type weather and my shoulders are getting a colour i get small little white spots , only a few ... ive been told there call sun spots and most people just get them and there harmless ...maybe you have that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Baldy

Hes right they are sun spots but although they are harmless now they can sometimes cause problems in the future. I had a few when I was younger but they can be easily frozen off. I know that it sounds strange that they freeze it but it's really quite harmless. Give them a few weeks and if they havent gone away then consult a doctor. I had mine for a good while cause i lived in Saudi Arabia for 8 years and had it for ages! But i never had ne problem with it they just told me to get it removed (Money grabbing doctors!) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Freckles tend to come out in the sun.
    No kid is born with freckles, and my niece (4) now gets an extra 10-20 every time she goes out in the sun.

If they're freckles then they tend to fade in the winter when there's no sun, but tend to get darker in the summer.

I thought I was really freckled, and I really am, but a friend of mine, who is usually very sallow skinned came home from two weeks holidays in Spain/Portugal absolutely covered in them :)

Don't worry about then, just call them "angel dust" or "angel's kisses" :P

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

You just believe in your sig Smiles...

Your skin burning isn't a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I have a friend that had that exact thing. She now has a patch on her leg with masses and masses of freckles where throughout the rest of her body she doesnt have many.

Best thing to do though is go to a doctor and find out what the best course of action is - what type of sunscreen to use, if you should use moisturiser every day. Check it out.

Mr. Dic. you aren't really saying anything are you! Stop hiding behind those word-of-the-days and cut out the bombast, we'd love to have your understandable views on these matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭strawberry

Freckles are trying to take over my face.
    But yet for some strange reason the rest of me just goes brown.
    So..........strange..........

Wear sunglasses, I feel cataracts would worry me a lot more than skin cancer. Its a case of do you want your eyes cut open or your skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

wear sun cream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The sun is bad and evil, us northern european types were made to hide from its burning rays of death under trees and in caves and stuff. Leave the being out in the sun lark to the more southerly races who are built for running after antelopes and zebras in the sun instead of sitting on their fat behinds fishing through a hole in the ice in the dark.

Evil, evil sun. Pale is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sometimes I think Shinji is coming over to my way of thinking more and more with each passing day. :p

But I wouldn't worry too much about the freckles.
    Although I've a few on my arms that have never gone away.
    Just make sure you don't go out of your way to frazzle yourself, and you should be fine.
    May I suggest factor 30 sunscreen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Sometimes I think Shinji is coming over to my way of thinking more and more with each passing day

You are a hideous and deformed monstrosity and I pray for your death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Shinji
    You are a hideous and deformed monstrosity and I pray for your death.

Many do, but in the end they just agree with me anyway, so why not just give up the struggle now? It's innevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

freckles are caused by melanine(thin that's how you spell it)
    that's the stuff that makes your skin brown. it's the piugment stuff that browns. freckles are just patches of this stuff below the skin

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

freckles are caused by melanine(thin that's how you spell it)
    This is indeed correct however with the current increase in skin cancer esp in irish people you need to take care when in the sun and you need to keep an eye out for any unusual changes in these freckles/spots ie getting bigger, change in shape or colour or hairs growing in them . if over the next year you notice any changes consult your doctor as thankfully skin cancer can be treated in the early stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

FRECKLES ROCK!

That is all.

Advertisement