Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turn and phantasm last night

Options
  • 26-07-2002 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

wow -- the turn gig last night was turbo terrific. the songs were tight, melodies wonderful. i got really battered from being up the front, but it was worth it. turn just get better and better every time i see em. well done lads.

i went up to phantasm afterwards, and oh my goodness who the hell was that dj? he played limp bizkit, alien ant farm, linkin park... and i nearly cried with disappointment when it got worse: he played papa roach. it was horribly ironic... last night was the first time i'd ever paid into phantasm, and the music was the worst i've ever heard. it picked up slightly later on, but i noticed that the dj played all the "hits"... ie "zero" whenever anyone asked for the pumpkins", "beretta" by turn... i guess i shouldn't be complaining, as its way better than that nu-metal rubbish, but still. a little imagination goes a long way, and playing something different would not have been a bad thing.

phantasm is getting worse and worse... aye. i won't be rushing back there in any sort of a hurry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Gig was good, except for the second support act, they were pretentious-pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

ohhhhh!!!!!!! you have my sympathy. why the hell didnt you stay for screamadelica, after turn???????? jesus christ, whoever that dj was, he was ****ing brilliant! Manics, Mansun, Suede, Muse, Bowie, Joy Division, Pistols, Clash...............................AND MUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i couldn't contain my excitement!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

There was no Muse played at screamadelica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

That gig last night was da bomb! :D And not only was the music fantabulous, I got to meet Wacker, Johnnynomates, Amz and Eyeliner Boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

LOL! Just realised I said Johnnynomates instead of Johnnynolegs...oops. Sorry hun...innocent mistake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

i was at the Turn gig aswell was keeping an eye out for you sandi, couldn't see you anywhere and johnnynolegs texted me last night but couldn't text back cause i had no credit. Turn was absolutly amazing, berreta, now i know why you like Turn so much!! I had a real good time and i got battard myself. Sandi, if your around town this tuesday drop me a text so we could meet up or something, i'm going in with Wacker. :) Didn't stay for Screamadelic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ah twas a great gig turn always put on a great moshy show! Although at every single turn gig i end up on my ass on the floor.... WHY???? So funny though!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

indeed turn were amazing last night...its a rare thing to see ollie just step back and let us all do the singing!!! that was great...and the three of them seemed so genuinely happy which is a great thing to see from a band....

enjoyed berkeleys set...love explanations and i'm looking forward to them getting an album together...the ep is pretty good....

went over the barrier twice during too much makeup...head first twice....ah the joy!!!!

lets hope they get into the charts...they deserve iT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭twoheadedcow

indeed, turn were great tbmc was jammers.

on the phantasm topic, i agree it's gone to ****e, i used to go quite a bit since the music centre days, they play a lot of nu-metalish stuff, plus you are guaranteed to hear pixies/debaser and frames/pavement tune every single visit, to name a few.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ah jaysis, as we say in Navan, last nigh was bleedin' grahe....

Turn are just do damn good. And I get to do it all again Saturday night in Oldcastle, whoop whoop whoop.

AND they're doing a signing session in Navan tomorrow, I have a bagload of stuff for 'em to sign. Whoop again.

Mes Sandi briefly last night (Hi Sandi!!), no-one else though...I'm such a loner....:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

That was such a good gig. Though i felt kinda bad for the support bands cos ppl seemed to ignore them, even though sack kind of deserved it.But Berkeley were great.Pity it went on later then usual, i had to leave after 'beretta', fecking last dart being so damn early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

johnnynomates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - ggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr i will kick u in the head ya big smelly monkey - yeah turn were absolutely amazing and the best bit i thought was when i got up and sang beretta with them and then ollie gave me his guitar it was soooooooooooooo good ......... oh wait that was a dream i had after damn it....yeah berkeley were really good went and bought their EP yesterday and also bought 5 copies of Another Year Over/Summer Song for my friends so if they don't get into the charts now *touch wood* at least i can go to bed every night guilt free unlike u people........................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Tom182

DAMN!!!! Sounds like I missed a cracking nite..ah well,see ya all on the 10th anyway

yeah ya did (sorry for rubbing it in) and yep u will c us on the 10th whether or not we can c u is a different matter entirely now...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

Originally posted by Ed
    There was no Muse played at screamadelica

there's always one **** out there. If im not mistaken, which i know im not, Feeling Good was played @ screamadelica. so there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alan dempsey

Turn were very good.Somebody mentioned sack but they didnt play!the pretionous ones were "the thrills" supposed to be the "next big thing".dont hold youre breath.Always beware of a band where most of the members have the same haircut.As for screamadelica it was rubbish.The mop head in the bar was plain complete dirt while inside it was dial a cliche eg.blue monday.However it was no worse than phanthasm which has recently turned into kerang.alien ant farm playing a rubbish mick jackson song,followed bt three hours of american trollip such as linkin park.limp biscuit etc.This is complete throllip and they should either rename it or axe the dj.The only decent show in town at the mo is "helter shelter" where they stear clear of linkin park and co and mostly place non cliche songes.Its on the last saturday of the month at the shalter which means tonight.Check it out,af for the other two their for the birds im afraid.chin chin.

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    yeah ya did (sorry for rubbing it in) and yep u will c us on the 10th whether or not we can c u is a different matter entirely now...............

I hope you are talking about 3 in the morning staggering out of Whelans!!!!! Or do you plan to last that long.....
    I want to start a betting ring!!
    Either,first one to puke,or who will be left standing at the end of the night...i.e. last one to leave Whelans and still tell the cab driver where home is!!!!
    I LIKE THE FIRST ONE TO PUKE BEST!!!

did u not hear????? - we have decided that we r doing a shot in each pub we go into so i shall be drunk drunk drunk by about 1 hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Alibaba01

Turn... wow... amazing as ever....

I can always tell how good the nights been by how many bruises i have..

I have lots

The whole ting was amazing, the band, the music and the sound and lights were even better than usual and amazing for the crappy music center

wernt they deadly in tower too

alibaba

OPEN SAYS MEEEE!!

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    did u not hear????? - we have decided that we r doing a shot in each pub we go into so i shall be drunk drunk drunk by about 1 hahaha

More like AFTER 1!!ha!ha!....OOOOOJHHHHHH It's gonna be a long day!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭megameaty

Beretta, If I'm not mistaken you were the one writing love letters to a certain Phantom Dj at Wheely Bins on Thurs.
    Must admit though, the music utter ****e.
    And the amazing Turn-give me an Olliepop any day of the week. It's Gavin I'm havin'. It's Ian I'm seein'

olliepop....thats brilliant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

Originally posted by Eyeliner__Boy

there's always one **** out there. If im not mistaken, which i know im not, Feeling Good was played @ screamadelica. so there

unfortunately you are mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I thought Turn were excellent, as always but i also really liked The Thrills, i seen them at Witnness and they really impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by alan dempsey
    the pretionous ones were "the thrills" supposed to be the "next big thing"

Thats them is it? Wasnt sure of the name, now that I am I'll steer well clear, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Turn were amazing, the Thrills were ****e, 'nuff said. But I'll say more anyway. Best of luck to Turn in the charts with the new single, even if it isnt their best song, its still pretty good. Berkeley were pretty good, even if the bass player did seem like a bit of a knob, I'm sure he's ok once you get to know him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭megameaty

MrJoeSoap I couldn't agree more with everything you just said. The Thrills are less than thrilling. Berkeley weren't bad, they just seemed seriously immature. And you're right, I ain't very impressed with Turns two new songs. They're getting kinda poppy. I still have eternal love for them regardless. Just a bit disappointed that's all.

i think turns new stuff is great!!! more mature than their other stuff.... i miss you and harder (...i think they're the names of the songs anyway...) are fantastic and i love the last song on the single as well - want it the same!!!!

for me they're just getting better n better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

aye, aye, aye, ms megameaty! i know where you live! (no, seriously... i do.)

that was hardly a love letter... more a statement.

though i do agree with you on turns new songs... a tad poppy for my liking.

see you in hell (from heaven).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Tom E Brown

I wondered who gave me that rather risky note!

Im sorry you didnt like the set but hey, I cant play a set that pleases everyone all the time. As for the songs you didnt like, a lot of people asked me for them and it did get the place rocking like crazy...

Thanks for the offer though, it made my night! :)

Advertisement