Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parallel cable connection

• 26-07-2002 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I've connected up the Host (XP, PC) to the Guest (Win98, Laptop) with both a serial and a parallel connection. Problem is when I try to make it dial in, it doesnt work. I get "Status: Connecting via Parallel cable on LPT1..." and after a few seconds it says "Cannot connect, make sure blah..."

I followed this guide btw.

Any ideas?

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I had the same problem between 2 PCs running win2k ..

I tried everything but i still couldnt get it working. I then went out (After some advise :D ) and bought 2 Network cards and a cross-over cable.. i now run a 100mb/s network :D

If the Laptop and PC both have USB ports then get the Trust USB Gamer kit. that should connect the 2 PCs on a network and give you about 12mb/s connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

To connect two PC's or via serial or parallel normally a Null Modem cable is required. It used to be possible to buy them as "Lap-links" maybe Peats or Maplin might have them.

Of course you could always dig up the pin-outs online and make youir own.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Of course you could always dig up the pin-outs online and make youir own.

For a 9 pin D sub cable (standard PC serial port) the wiring is very simple:
    pin 2 to 3
    pin 3 to 2
    pin 5 to 5

Used to have one about 30M to play Quake in work.

I would not attempt to make a parallel crossover, even if you can find a wiring diagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I got a SMC EZ Connect USB cable for about £35 before XMAS and it's great. AFAIK it's faster than a parallel connection and was very easy to set up.

If I was doing it again I'd buy proper networking gear (2X PCI ethernet cards) cos though the two PCs are working great, I'm having all sorts of problems connecting laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

2x 100Mbit Realtek ics: €40-45
    Belkin 40' Fast™ CAT5e UTP cable (300Mhz rated): €15

that's 100mbit full duplex network conenction.

Why even consider anything else? It opens up a whole other world to you.
    The laptop should have lan onboard anywyas.
    if not a PCMCIA card is cheap enough to pick up, maybe increasing total cost by €40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I got my 2 Genius 100mbs Network Cards and CAT5 cross-over cable for less then €40. You could try and find a network card for the PCIMA socket yolks and use that to network the two together...

USB cable connection still might be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yea I'm planning on getting some NIC's and connecting them, but I'm going on holiday soon so I'm short on time & money. This was just a short term solution kinda thing.

Anyone recommend a good (cheap) PCMCIA Network Card?

Cheeeers

Advertisement