Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimebag Darrell vs. Kirk Hammett

• 26-07-2002 8:39pm
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who in your opinion is the better guitarist, I have my mind made up but I would just like to see what the opinions are on the board... And again you must comment on your choice. I don't want this topic going to the bottom yanno? :cool:

Who in your opinion is the better guitarist? 79 votes

Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
    0% 0 votes
    Kirk Hammett (Metallica)
    100% 79 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm going with Kirk, he is really brilliant. Just listen to Master Of Puppets, he's tha man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Gotta go with Kirk as well. Much better guitarist.... and IMO a better band as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Just listen to Master Of Puppets, he's tha man!
    Best song of all time IMO!
    YES!! it even beats In Flames - Colony!!
    So kirk it has to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, I was think of the whole Master of Puppets album...Just listen to Orion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Klytus

No contest. Kirk all the way baby! He did write the Sandman riff afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

kirk, all the way!! Best song ever ~ One its just class and very moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Dimebag is leagues ahead of Kirk Hammett in every possible way (technical ability, riff writing etc, lead playing). Hammett's main ability imo is writing leads that are easy to listen to. Darrell writes some of the most insane riffs and leads I've ever heard in Metal as a whole, just listen to Cemetary Gates, Floods (lead), Mouth for War, Livin' thru me, Another Level, This Love, Becoming, Slaughtered the list is endless. Another factor going for Darrell is that he has no rythm guitarist to back him up live, he writes and plays all those insane riffs and leads on his todd whereas Hammett has a kick ass guitarist behind (infront imo) him in the form of Hetfield.

By the way hetfield writes most of the Metallica riffs and the majority of the better leads (One, Master, Fade to Black etc) at least that what it says in the tab books. And last but not least Cliff Burton wrote the guitar harmonies for Orion not Hammett.

There's my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I have to agree with wizard! Dimebag is the sh!t. Even though I love Metallica and I allways play Kirk stuff I find Dimebag more original and heavier. Also I agree on the whole " Two Guitarist In One" Thing he is truly amazing. Pantera without Dimebag is nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

That's a damn though decision. They're both great guitarist.
    Also, I agree with wizard, Hetfield is a foik cool guitarist/composer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭iceworm

dimebag . just abit . the riffs are better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Any live recording you hear, well I've heard, from Kirk Hammett, he's prone to making a few mistakes. I was stood not 10 feet away from him when they played the Point in 96, and I have to say, I've heard better.
    Dimebag could pull of any riff or solo note for note perfect live. Plus, Dimebag wrote every Pantera and Damageplan riff. Kirk's body of work is meagre compared to that. Dimebag's lead style was so much more fluent, whereas Kirk solo's are very metronomic. And not in the good way.
    But in saying that, Kirk is a great lead player and a solid rhythm player, but I just think Dimebag was better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

OMFG whats wrong with some of you people... how can you even compare these 2 people like? ok maybe you didn't know but dime was a GOD.... kirk hammett can only play pentatonic bull****.. im actually astounded at some of the opinions at the start of this thread.. when i clicked in the forum i fully expected it to be locked due to sheer stupidity... like OMG people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Dimebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

KIRK..that is all.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Atari jaguar. No wait, Fender Jaguar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Sven im with you 100% i expected better from you karl, i mean come on this one is a no brainer, this is dime bag were talking here as in the person who was actually banned from playing in guitar competitions because he was so class when he was around 17, against kirk "pentatonic" hammet i mean hes a great player but theese two arent even in the same league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Aren't these sort of threads banned? Dimebag is better, but Hammett is easier to listen to at the start. However, Dimebag wins, hands down. He did great things and did them perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I was off Metallica for ages, but the other day a few of their greats came on and I started getting into them again, I just listened to Ride The Lightning start-to-finish. what an album

so Kirk all the way, man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Aren't these sort of threads banned?
    what? what sort of threads? polls?

No, these "ZOMG BEST GUITARIST EV0R!!!!111 type threads. There've been too many... This one might be okay though, given it's a direct comparison. For those people who voted Hammett, out of interest, what're you basing this on? He's techincally far inferior to Dimebag anyway.

• Advertisement

For those people who voted Hammett, out of interest, what're you basing this on? He's techincally far inferior to Dimebag anyway.
    I voted for Hammett (albiet over three years ago). At the time I was just a bigger fan of Hammett's work than Dimebag's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Crucifix wrote:
    I voted for Hammett (albiet over three years ago). At the time I was just a bigger fan of Hammett's work than Dimebag's.
    no a statement like this gets a forum locked and a member banned..: so crucifix.... whats it like being.. tone deaf?... oooo *everyone breaths through their teeth* eek.. have i gone too far? :-/

i'll get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

It has to be Dime hands down, as said before he's a two in one guitarist and is so clean and accurate live it's unreal, and you can't forget the screams I could sit there all day listening to him pulling off those screams.

Steoob wrote:
    no a statement like this gets a forum locked and a member banned..: so crucifix.... whats it like being.. tone deaf?... oooo *everyone breaths through their teeth* eek.. have i gone too far? :-/

i'll get my coat
    lol
    Three years ago man, give me a break!:v: :v: :v:
    Anyways, I still maintain he was a great guitarist in his prime.

Kirk played some fantastic leads, the first three, maybe four albums, but he just doesn't stand up against Dimebag's overpowering perfection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Id go with Dimebag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think you people should think about what 'two in one' really means, then think about wheteher or not it applies to Dime.

I'm a Hammet man, because his works are, more pleasing to the ear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Bill Steerguar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I prefer Dimebag

and while on a subject related to Pantera. A tribute band named Primal Concrete Sledge will be playing in Eamon Dorans on the 10th of December

http://thumped.com/

go down the page a bit and you'll see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Dr.Poca wrote:
    I prefer Dimebag

and while on a subject related to Pantera. A tribute band named Primal Concrete Sledge will be playing in Eamon Dorans on the 10th of December

http://thumped.com/

go down the page a bit and you'll see it
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement