Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimebag Darrell vs. Kirk Hammett

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

dimebag.....floods,doesnt get much better.
    kirk is al about the wah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Awesome, thanks for the heads up man!

No problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Im as surprised as anyone else about the support for Kirk here. I really dont know how you could choose Kirk if you know both guitarists work well. The way i see it is that while Kirk is replaceable, Dimebag is almost certainly not.

Lets say Kirk dies tomorrow (not wishing it on him), would Metallica be able to go on with a new guitarist? Yes, and there are thousands out there up to the job. Will Pantera ever form with a new guitarist? No, unless you convince Zakk Wylde really, really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Dimebag.

Despite Metallica(or at least older Metallica) probably still being my favourite band, Dimebag knocks the bejasus out of Hammet, on a consistant basis too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

You can't ask this - it's like asking which one of your childern you love more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

You can't ask this - it's like asking which one of your childern you love more!

It would have to be the one called Dimebag, you can't deny it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 green head

i dont believe there even taking a poll on this topic...
    dimebag is way better kirt will never even be in dimebags league...
    anyone who says kirt is better hasent listened to pantera GIMPSSSSSS
    cow boys from hell......... walk(one of the heavest riffs writin).....
    cemetery gates..........im broken....... the list goes on......... im ashamed at wat i see in this poll.............:mad:
    DIMEBAG DARRELL R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'll also have to throw my two cents in for Dime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭tripper

I find Dimebag's solos can get a bit repetitive, he is still a god though!!!!!
    But Hammett is the one who got me into guitar and can play any style of music from MOP to Carlos Santana and even an orchestra. LEGEND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I think Kirk can do more "accessible" music if you would, but Dimebag is the man..... Jesus, were talking about a guy who can make his guitar sound like ANYTHING.....listen to Cemetary Gates and Floods , tell me he's not the best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Im as surprised as anyone else about the support for Kirk here. I really dont know how you could choose Kirk if you know both guitarists work well. The way i see it is that while Kirk is replaceable, Dimebag is almost certainly not.

Lets say Kirk dies tomorrow (not wishing it on him), would Metallica be able to go on with a new guitarist? Yes, and there are thousands out there up to the job. Will Pantera ever form with a new guitarist? No, unless you convince Zakk Wylde really, really well.
    Great point.

And all I have to say about Zakk Wylde joining Pantera is... NO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭mo_thoin

Dimebag...no doubt about it!:D
    Its quite unbelievable that people actually voted for Kirk???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Thank God sanity has prevailed and dimebag is winning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In fairness, it's not that he could be replaced, it's that he would be replaced. Cliff Burton was irreplacable, and yet, Metallica went ahead and got a replacement. I'd say Pantera would never reform with a new guitarist simply because they aren't the money-grabbing machine that Metallica has become. :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

In fairness, it's not that he could be replaced, it's that he would be replaced. Cliff Burton was irreplacable, and yet, Metallica went ahead and got a replacement. I'd say Pantera would never reform with a new guitarist simply because they aren't the money-grabbing machine that Metallica has become. :v:
    Cliff wasnt the only one in that band writing material though. Metallica had Het, Kirk and Mustaine. Pantera had Dimebag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, but Burton was the soul of Metallica. Dimebag was the soul of Pantera. Since the two didn't play the same instrument, can't really compare them in that respect, but if we could, it'd be a whole lot more interesting that comparing Dime and Kirk. ;)

Cliff was indeed the soul of Metallica. After he died, and after his written material dried up around AJFA, the band died a horrid death, and came back as a zombie, craving money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

In all fairness, i think the only way to solve this argument is this; Get two monkeys, make one of them look like a primal bearded lady, give the other one a fake pink beard, give them both knives and put them in a big cage together. Whoever comes out alive represents the better guitarist.

In all fairness, i think the only way to solve this argument is this; Get two monkeys, make one of them look like a primal bearded lady, give the other one a fake pink beard, give them both knives and put them in a big cage together. Whoever comes out alive represents the better guitarist.

Genius!

Now... If only PETA would let us try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Pfft! PETA is not metal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

zakk wylde........pantera........are you mad or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I couldn't choose between these two guys. Kirk changed the face of Metal guitar playing, so did Darrell. Technically, there's no doubt that Darrell was the better player, but Kirk's leads are more memorable to me anyway. Every solo on MOP and AJFA that Kirk did was spot on in my opinion, the wailing on The Thing That Should Not Be, for example, is not his usual fare but can you think of something that would suit the song better? OK, he hasn't covered himself in glory since 1990 but he's done enough prior to Metallica's downfall to be untouchable. Then there's all the fantastic rhythms and leads Darrell did, his unbelievable tone, some amazing riffs topped by the best divebomb ever in Hollow. Both of these guys are legends to me. Metal would be a vastly poorer form of music had they not played the way they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

dimebag was always a driving force in metal and a real master of the grinding riff but the thing is that kirk has evolved more as a player for me..

he's always had the gift of knowing exactly when to turn on the "flash"
    knocking out some of the most emotive solo's ever..
    eg. "bleeding me" a perfect solo!

i dont think technical greatness should have anything to do with a poll like this
    anyway.. its the way the guitarist reaches out to you through his instrument
    and makes you feel something..

Kirk without doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Doctor J wrote:
    Every solo on MOP and AJFA that Kirk did was spot on in my opinion, the wailing on The Thing That Should Not Be, for example, is not his usual fare but can you think of something that would suit the song better?

Could not agree more! It, along with the solo in Eye of the beholder are my 2 favourite Metallica solos.

Dime was an incredible player, but I prefer Kirk as Metallica are my favourite band of all time.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Doc_Savage wrote:
    dimebag was always a driving force in metal and a real master of the grinding riff but the thing is that kirk has evolved more as a player for me..

he's always had the gift of knowing exactly when to turn on the "flash"
    knocking out some of the most emotive solo's ever..
    eg. "bleeding me" a perfect solo!

i dont think technical greatness should have anything to do with a poll like this
    anyway.. its the way the guitarist reaches out to you through his instrument
    and makes you feel something..

Kirk without doubt!
    Listen to Pantera's "Floods". It is THE most emotive solo ever, IMO. Absolutely incredible.

They're both good, but they're no Chuck Schudliner. :p

Or for that matter, Marty Friedman. Just listening to Dragon's Kiss... Now that guy can ****ing play! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

John Petrucci smokes them all out of it ;)

John Petrucci smokes them all out of it ;)

While definetly one of my favourite guitarists, I find he lacks a little in emotive playing, the kind of thing Marty Friedman nails without effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Well I own a Dean ML so ya know what I'm going to say here!!! Kirk is good but I can play Kirk's material. Cant even come close to Dime's. I like to judge a guitarist as how well he can play several different styles of music. Like could Kirk play some of Dime's solos, I think even Kirk would struggle.

I also appreciate Dime as a rythm player first and a lead player second. His sound was huge. In the end I think Dime could adapt his style of playing and go from riff/shred madness to emotional style of playing better than Kirk. I think Dime had (makes me sad to speak of him in the past tense) more range. Don't get me wrong I love metallica and agree they have more melodic solos but the question was who was a better guitarist and melody alone wont win it for Kirk I'm afraid cos he's beatin in all other departments

Dime could play eruption at 16! He will be truly missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Vegeta wrote:
    Well I own a Dean ML so ya know what I'm going to say here!!! Kirk is good but I can play Kirk's material. Cant even come close to Dime's. I like to judge a guitarist as how well he can play several different styles of music. Like could Kirk play some of Dime's solos, I think even Kirk would struggle.

I also appreciate Dime as a rythm player first and a lead player second. His sound was huge. In the end I think Dime could adapt his style of playing and go from riff/shred madness to emotional style of playing better than Kirk. I think Dime had (makes me sad to speak of him in the past tense) more range. Don't get me wrong I love metallica and agree they have more melodic solos but the question was who was a better guitarist and melody alone wont win it for Kirk I'm afraid cos he's beatin in all other departments

Dime could play eruption at 16! He will be truly missed.
    *sheds a tear...*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement