Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dimebag Darrell vs. Kirk Hammett

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

In fairness, mistakes happen. I've noticed mistakes from Mikael Akerfeldt and Chuck Schudliner (Who are easily two of my favourite guitars) on DVD. Do I really care? Well actually, I think it's excellent of them to leave the mistakes in there, and not dub over it in a studio, so I do kinda care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

To answer the OPS original question; chips is my answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

How can someone say Kirk's better, you ask? Like this: Hammett is a better guitarist, not because he can play faster, or while moshing, or precisely replicate recorded solos (which I'm sure he could easily do if he was foolish enough to try), but because his solos, when heard, are simply more emotive, impressive, and generally more pleasurable to listen to.

My sentments exactly!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Okay, with regard to Kirk using "the same scales" - that's not true. Over the years, Kirk's made damn good use of melodic, harmonic minors and modes of melodic and harmonic minors. Go listen to The Thing That Should Not Be. I mean, who else solos with the Super-locrian mode? :v: (j/k, I'm sure many do.)
    Okay, so he uses pentatonics a lot, but they are the foundation of rock music, after all.

Mistakes? So what if it doesn't sound like on the record? Kirk regularly varies it up a bit when playing live, this by no means qualifies as a "mistake". I'd feel a bit cheated if I paid money for a gig where every note played was exactly replicated from the record, TBH.
    It took Kirk 40 attempts to nail a solo? First of all I suspect that is an exaggeration, and second of all, I personally would commend him for his perseverance and for at least attempting to play outside of his own current ability. IMO, the finished product, when "nailed", is what counts, regardless of how many attempts it took to produce. And FYI, Dimebag did not have better technique than Kirk, speaking from a classical point of view. Not that it really matters.

How can someone say Kirk's better, you ask? Like this: Hammett is a better guitarist, not because he can play faster, or while moshing, or precisely replicate recorded solos (which I'm sure he could easily do if he was foolish enough to try), but because his solos, when heard, are simply more emotive, impressive, and generally more pleasurable to listen to.

And yes, you are a bit sad for counting the number of 'mistakes' on a live DVD. ;)

Are you for real?? Dimebag went and learned music theory unlike hammett who learnt a few scales, dimebag was so good he began entering statewide guitar competitions and by the age of sixteen had been banned from entering because he had won too often. He often competed against guitar players who had up to 12 years more experience in guitar playing than him yet he would still win!

Second yeah changing a song is good live but hammett wasn't changing the songs he was making mistakes and big ones at that, oh yeah 40 attempts on a solo are his own words off a documentry about recording a metal album that was on mtv2 a few years ago,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Are you for real?? Dimebag went and learned music theory unlike hammett who learnt a few scales, dimebag was so good he began entering statewide guitar competitions and by the age of sixteen had been banned from entering because he had won too often. He often competed against guitar players who had up to 12 years more experience in guitar playing than him yet he would still win!
    Doesnt matter, Hammett did better in the long run with his 'few scales' Either way, I love both guitarists and its not a question of whos better. Thats the problem with metal, whos better than who, whos fastest. Who cares? Theres a lot of great musicians out there so sit back dont relax and go crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This is such a non competition that its a joke, Kirk is an ok guitarist. I know two regular guys who would make Kirk look crap. I don't know anyone who'd upstage Dimebag. For those who are basing this on lead playing only get a grip, its the whole package that counts.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Bollocks!

Floods? 10's? Hollow? Cemetery Gates? Avoid The Light? They would easily wipe the floor with any of Hammett's "emotive" solos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

why, why is this still going? :confused:

Because people keep posting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Vegeta wrote:
    This is such a non competition that its a joke, Kirk is an ok guitarist. I know two regular guys who would make Kirk look crap. I don't know anyone who'd upstage Dimebag. For those who are basing this on lead playing only get a grip, its the whole package that counts.

thats true i know lots of players who'd wipe the floor with hammett, everything he plays is easy too, most beginners on guitar learn his solos' as a stepping stone to learning lead, now its not only lead i base this on either, i think dimebag is better coz he wrote his songs, kirk doesn't (check the credits in the album sleeves if you don't believe me) hetfield wrote 98% of metallica songs.

So this is it hammett is good but no where near the league of dimebag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

thats true i know lots of players who'd wipe the floor with hammett, everything he plays is easy too, most beginners on guitar learn his solos' as a stepping stone to learning lead, now its not only lead i base this on either, i think dimebag is better coz he wrote his songs, kirk doesn't (check the credits in the album sleeves if you don't believe me) hetfield wrote 98% of metallica songs.

So this is it hammett is good but no where near the league of dimebag.

Not only did he write the stuff but he also played some amazing rhythm, just listen to mouth for war. Its probably been said already but I have never been to see a pantera cover band but i've seen a fair share of metallica ones

tuxy wrote:
    why, why is this still going? :confused:
    Right on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Im goin with Kirk on this one. Im not a huge metal fan though so dont like Pantera. Just read that Kirk's solo for One was voted the Best Ever Guitar Solo. But that is nearly two years old so cant fully say if it still stands.

Mushy wrote:
    Kirk's solo for One was voted the Best Ever Guitar Solo.
    :eek:

No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

i dont believe it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thats what i had just read on a website. but the survey was done in 2004 so peoples opinions might have changed. In all honesty, it is a great solo. It is the main one by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

The tapping part is good but the rest of it is fairly unspectacular, I think. Nothing I haven't really heard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

actually kirk hammet was taught by joe satriani and is much better than dimebag darrel.Kirk Hammet puts in the work and definatly gives the results while dimebag used to thrash and bash the strings to get some kind of rhythm(but still like and respect pantera and damageplan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Aye he has been taught be Satriani, I'm just wondering where the hell those lessons went !!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

I'm the worlds biggest Metallica fan and I got to admit that the reason is Kirk Hammett's playing. Now I'm not musicalliy inclined in the least so I wont even attempt to argue ones technical proficiency over the other cause I have no clue all I know is that Metallica are fantastic and Hammett's soloing on the early work is second to none. I know people say that since load the have lost their way but that shouldn't take anything away from Hammett's ability or legacy and I fully expect the next album to be a triumphant return to what they(Metallica) and Hammett do best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

Ive been playing lead metal guitar for the last 12 yrs and anybody who plays guitar will tell ya Dime was streets ahead of Hammet in terms of technical ability. Dimebag kept it fresh from album to album. hammet churned out the same crap on each album

Mushy wrote:
    Thats what i had just read on a website. but the survey was done in 2004 so peoples opinions might have changed.

Exactly! Its a matter of opinion! Why does this thread have to put 2 musicians VERSUS each other? Its not a war! Now please stop this useless thread!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 earthwormjimbo

And lets not forget kirk is a great big pussy!! Dimebag wipes the floor with this guy. It's lucky we aren't considering balls as a factor in this discussion or drinking ability's. I'd love to see kirk try and play a gig after drinkin a bottle of jager!! And finally, there's a million other guitarists kirk could be replaced with if metallica decided, but nobody on this planet could replace dimebag - best guitarist since hendrix/page (depending on my mood)!! Peace........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

ahh, Metallica are my favourite band and, i love Pantera as well but Kirk got me into guitar so i will have to go with him(as i do think of him as a sort of demi-god)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cheekyboy999

defo. i totally agree with you bud. ive been playing for years too, and there is no way kirks even close to what dime was. i started playing guitar because of metallica over 20 years ago, but i kept playing and learning because of dimebag. the guy was awesome. his playing is (was) more original, more fluid, and spontaneuos, with an amazing tone.
    kirks a top player, but his tones ****e!!!
    dimebag is king im afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Rockee wrote: »
    Exactly! Its a matter of opinion! Why does this thread have to put 2 musicians VERSUS each other? Its not a war! Now please stop this useless thread!!!!

MUSIC IS ONLY WAR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Dimebag is defo much better. He could really shred but his playing was so inventive and different.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt64szfqp-Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

What?! Metal guitar soloist debate once again descends into technical proficiency concerns and who is the most hardcore etc. One of the least slagged bands on youtube is Pantera because they're so hardcore and tough,despite the quality of the music:pac: Dimebag was technically pristine but Hammet had a lot more flair imo, his solos had an attitude, distinctiveness and inventiveness that is second to none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

green head wrote: »
    i dont believe there even taking a poll on this topic...
    dimebag is way better kirt will never even be in dimebags league...
    anyone who says kirt is better hasent listened to pantera GIMPSSSSSS
    cow boys from hell......... walk(one of the heavest riffs writin).....
    cemetery gates..........im broken....... the list goes on......... im ashamed at wat i see in this poll.............:mad:
    DIMEBAG DARRELL R.I.P.

His name is KIRK not Kirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

this thread should have died many years ago.

...... ill go with kirk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement