Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gilera DNA's

Options
  • 26-07-2002 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

32main.jpg
    Just wondering what people thought of these. They is basically a bikeIEFIED scooter so looks like a bike and drives somewhat like one but with scooter insurance. I think it would be a fun bike for the summer and was thinking about getting one for next summer condiering the insurance would be cheap on them.

So has anyone had any first hand experience with them and what do you's think of them?

They come in 50cc, 125cc, n 180cc. Seems like a laugh.

Some links to sites:
    http://www.piaggio-center.co.uk/bike.phtml?ID=32
    http://www.dna.gilera.com/gallery/gallery_e.htm(thumbnail pics fine, bigger stupidly sized)

*mods feel free to edit pic to link if too big*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aw baby yeah , if i had`nt just gotten abrand new scooter , i`d be well up for giving a look for one a dem , no kick stsrt though , gggrrrrr, !nice piece a bike , sh*tboy you shur def go for one a dem , it looks class an the insurance on a 50cc not too bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Someone in college has one of them, nice looking machine alright, but the wheels look REALLY small compared to a "normal" bike of around 125cc.

I've no idea what they're like to drive, but I'd imagine its somewhat more fun than the average scooter :)

Do they have gears, or are they just stop 'n' go like other scooters?

Tiny scooter tyres on a bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Stephen
    Do they have gears, or are they just stop 'n' go like other scooters?

Yup, twist & go just like every other scooter...

I'd imagine they are a fun ride. 125cc or 180cc in a machine as light as that? hmm... *vroooooommm*

Great traffic beaters I'd say. Not too much for the long haul trips but great if you live in the suburbs. I cant say Id buy one - being a lover of custom bikes and all...

If youre considering buying one of these and youre anyway tall or obese I'd forget it straight away. These are very short and very thin machines. I'd probably kill it if I was driving it for an extended period of time :D

Nice machines - cheap, cheerful and no doubt oodles of fun

*realises that nobody cares what he has to say so goes back to watching TV*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

aw of course we care what you say ,,,,,,, come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

heh heh, i got a friend who's taller than me about six foot two and he was on one and said it was fine like with 36?inch legs i'm only 32legs and 5'11, 6'.

Yeah i think it be a good laugh to drive, i is only gonna get it if i can't get afforable insurance on a van. Tis a strange machine with a space for your helmet like a scooter not somehting i think you'd notice when looking at the bike for the first time, meant to be a storage thing their too. hmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Read a review on one recently. The guy thought it was well cool, definitely good for a first bike, cos it let's you get the whole leaning/balance thing sorted. He said it was cool for traffic too, cos it accelerates like a scooter but looks much better. I'd say they wouldn't be a bad all-rounder, not just for the summer, so long as you're not doing say 15 miles into work every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

The hav the same engine as the gilera runner sp and the nrg mc2 but they hav a much smaller tank then the runner which can hold 12litres in its tank also the DNA's dry weight is more and there not very comfortable if your a tall person the bike its self is quite small and low to the ground if i were you i would go for the Runner it may be a moped but at least its not trying to be something its not a (Motorbike)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Looks ok, a few guys in college had them. Doesn't go fast, i had presumed the 180cc one would, but it doesn't. Is a good idea to get one if you're interested in bikes rather than scooters, but then again, maybe a honda ns-1 would be a better choice. I'm pretty sure the insurance is cheaper, they're nippy as a 180cc DNA and they are actual bikes :)

If they hadn't hiked the insurance on NSR's to 7, i'd say get one of them cos they're great, all bikes should have insane powerbands, i can't imagine how else you could have fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Looks crap. It's a tiny mutated moped and looks like it.

Goes crap. An underpowered hairdryer. Handles like a derailed train.

Is crap. This is not a sportsbike... it is nowhere near being a sportsbike.

I have an insane hatred for these things, probably because lunatic riders on the little things have been trying to push me under buses and the like.

Get yourself an NSR or RS or even better a bike to fly around some fields on.... great fun.

ha ha lads, i feckin have an nsr125 but i can't afford the insurance on it :( i love it and don't wanna get rid of it so its been garaged till i pass the test or by some miricle my insurance drops, hey i'll probally be old by then anyway! but i still need transport badly till then, ANYTHING! feckin sick of waitin and livin around the bus timetables ya know, i travel about 30miles to college everyday and back and don't mind the distance just waitin for buses which are nearly always over crowed when i need them 4-5 and end up standing nearly all the way.

• Advertisement

Just be happy you're not paying to insure a Yamaha R1.

I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the NSR125s... or to be precise the majority of the owners who try and overtake me on the inside while wearing trainers and a tracksuit.

Not labelling you as such; just a general whine about a large number of NSR125 owners who seem to enjoy challenging a litre sportsbike to a game of "who can hit the oncoming cars at the highest speed".

What about a CBR250? I believe they're still Group 5. The only other option is a cruiser of some sort... a little 125 Virago or Dragstar or something.

If you already have an nsr, i can't imagine why in gods name you'd want a DNA. Besides that, if you're travelling 30 miles + daily, you're definetly going the wrong way, 2 strokes aren't designed for that kind of mileage, especially not super sports 2 strokes. Not unless you want to be replacing rings and pistons regularily.

If you're going long distance, buy a cbr250 (you can get the '88 hurricanes for about 1000 at most) and they are basically the same insurance as the NSR was.

Nsr's are great tho, but not for speed, adjusting the carb might get you 105mph if you're lucky, and it'd take a very long stretch of road to get there.
    I don't think i've ever been guilty of trying to race large CC machines, i will do thru twisty roads or traffic but i know my place in the world when it comes to the amount of torque a 1000cc churns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

i have an rs125, and racin anythin over a 250 is just idiotic really now isnt it? however i have had scooters try race me, and rs50's and ns1's! i will race 250 four strokes like cbr's and constantly race my mates fzr250, coz they have nothin over my bike unless its straight fron take off
    id say get a honda ns1 or a yamaha tdr125-both group2 and fairly quick, or maybe hunt out a suzuki rgv(proper 1996 model not the gay newer rg) thats group 2 still id say or maybe 4 at most
    also fzr250 is group4

i don't really like crusiers at all :(

i have 2200yoyo's that was gonna be towards my insurance. What type(model) bikes ya think i should get? On 2nd provisonal passed theory test. would be doin 60 miles each day anyhew. I'd like a 4stroke, less hassel and sound better. Have no interest in racin but just prefere the handling and feel of a sportier bike goin around cornors etc.

But i just want some transport for college in a month or so, should have 3000yoyo's by then hopefully. Lookin into getting a car/van type thing too so any suggestions welcome and thx for the above!

*points* CBR 250 *points*

Its not a cruiser, its a sports bike, its very quick, looks ok, and you can pick them up for bugger all. Will handle long journeys and has a very distinctive sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

unfortunately cbr 250's are big in demand due to the fact that no1 can drive 125's anymore
    this means most dealers are chargin more for them than equivalent year bigger bikes would cost
    look around u can get a bargain, the cbr is a great bike that will run forever

I have a CBR250 that should be up for sale soon, not sure for how much but it's a good condition '95 so at the very least 4000 I would say. I paid 5400 punts for it originally and it hasn't seen much abuse since.

Let me know if you're interested.

heh heh, no thanks man, tis way too expensive for me. :) the most i'll be spendin on my bike to begin with would be around 1500.

I is looking for a vancar type thing first tho, motorbike is 2nd on the list if i can't get that.

Thanks anyhew.
    Alo.

Originally posted by Kegser
    I paid 5400 punts for it originally and it hasn't seen much abuse since.

Holy **** thats expensive, they saw you coming, you coulda bought a 600 for that!

At the time I would have loved a 600 but unfortunately because of Insurance woes the CBR250 was all I could afford.

Also at the time CBR250s were thin on the ground and mint condition CBR250s were almost non-existant; the CBR250 being a popular learner bike most of 'em were slung down the road at some stage.

Unfortunately in the time I've owned it I managed to lose the front on a patch of gravel while negotiating the Wicklow Gap at speed, and also a stupid lowspeed tumble on grass. Don't ask.

So it needs a bit of TLC before it's ready for sale anyway.

I'm just waiting to flip my R1 while lofting a first gear wheelie and I'll be a veteren crasher.

• Advertisement

I think ireland is one of the last places in the world that still considers the cbr250 a rare and expensive bike. Granted they're actually pretty rare outside of japan (and ireland of course) but knowing that garages import them from japan at a max cost of about 3000 irish pounds (and thats the price of a 99 model cbr250 in japan) you can easily see that the prices they charge for them over here are stupidly expensive.

They're nice, and i think now that they'll only get more expensive as learners can get 'em and mister garage knows this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭smiling_time

i have a gilera dna 50 and i love it.ive never riden any bikes or scooters before so it was a great bike to start on.it looks the biz,handles well,has larger tyres than most scooters so is a small bit safer.mine goes 45mph.i think its a great scooter and well worth buying

Advertisement