Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping: America to Ireland.

Options
  • 27-07-2002 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hope this is in the right place.

Anyway here goes :)

I am building about 15-28 desktop Pc's and have found a pretty good supplier in America.

I just wanted to know if anyone could tell me about shipping (duty tax that sort of thing)

If I have a business registered in America ship the parts to a Irish branch would I still have to pay duty on it ?

Is there anyway to avoid paying duty ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try to get the parts admitted as "raw materials" that should save you the 4% import duty (you will still need to pay 21% VAT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

I've tried almost everything in the book to avoid the VAT/Duty, but none rarely work, in my experience. You can have the consigner declare your goods as a gift and you will avoid the VAT/Duty.... so long as the value does not exceed E40! :rolleyes: You can ask the consigner to attach a proforma invoice to your goods declaring that the goods contained within are "of no commercial value"... customs will look into this and ask questions, attempt to place a value on the goods etc. :( You can try and be sneaky and have your goods sent via US postal services but from what I've seen is that all of my packages sent this way have been routed through General Parcel, who are unfortunately quite thorough (sp?) and will kindly tell you that there is a parcel awaiting duty payments etc. :mad: One way I haven't tried yet is just not to pay the duty when the Fed-Ex/UPS bill comes in the door :p but they just blacklist you. The only real way to do it is:

- A: Get a mate who lives in the US to bring your gear over next time he/she is visiting
    - B: Register a business name, register for tax, get a VAT number

So as you can guess I've pretty much given up on bringing goods in from the US. My advice is go and look for prices on mainland europe. Germany, France and Italy do tend to have computer components for sale cheaper that those of our own prices.

That's all I can think of for now... Dollar prices are so enticing considering Euro : Dollar.... ah well

Dizz

Advertisement