Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the Ansbacher gang be brought to justice?

Options
  • 27-07-2002 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

what do you think

should the Ansbacher gang be brought to justice 16 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

There is no reason why they *shouldnt* be brought to justice, other than politicians scratching each others back.

Of course they *should* be, but they wont be.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It would be nice bt remember... some of todays politicions are also doing stuff that we dont know about and if they are brought to justice we might find out about that and i dont think the politicions want us to know whats happening....

Black OPs ... its all black ops! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The mere fact that most of this was investigated via a tribunal rather than a court of law shows that the government have no inclination whatsoever of ever intending to prosecute those involved, regardless of their guilt.

Tribunal findings are not admissable in a court of law. Thus, I could stand up in a tribunal and say "of course I comitted all these illegal acts, and here's all the documentation".

However, were this information and/or my confessed guilt to be used as the basis for a legal case, I could simply turn around and deny it all. Similarily, the criminal assets bureau would have no grounds to take action against me.

In other words, as a result of having a tribunal, not only have we made sure we can take no legal action as a result of our findings, we have made any legal action at a later date harder to make, because it must be shown at the time that this is not occurring as a result of the tribunal findings....which will be pretty much imposible to show.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Aspro

One law for the rich etc.

I wonder if I refused to tax my car next year and get caught, do I get to demand a tribunal of enquiry.... or do I just get thrown in the Joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Given scarse resources, there are more important things, but yes, obviously. The poverty-stricken 80s could have been so different if the Revenue Commissioners had this tax.

• Advertisement
Advertisement