Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unix sysadmin job?

• 02-07-2001 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Reading some of the replies to other queries about sysadmin jobs I'm starting to get worried. Do you really have to start off in Data Entry or Tech Support? I have no commercial Unix experience but I have been using Linux exclusively for 3 years for college and web development work at home. I have also just finished a CompSci degree in TCD (does this count for anything).

Are there any companies/recruitment agencies out there that deal with raw recruits who are interested in junior *nix sysadmin experience and training?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

Go to www.irishjobs.ie and put in Junior Unix - You'll find that most places are looking for 1 year on-job experience but If you know your stuff I wouldn't hesitate from applying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by woohaa:
    I have also just finished a CompSci degree in TCD (does this count for anything).</font>
    I wouldn't say it would count for much other than "ooh, shiny Trinity degree" on their part; unless the course involves heavy Unix work... as far as I can recall your course was exclusively Windows (not sure though, and you'd be a better authority than that than me smile.gif ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 woohaa

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:

I wouldn't say it would count for much other than "ooh, shiny Trinity degree" on their part; unless the course involves heavy Unix work... as far as I can recall your course was exclusively Windows (not sure though, and you'd be a better authority than that than me smile.gif ).</font>
    It's true that the course barely mentions unix and most people would either brick it if presented with a unix console or laugh that you didn't use a GUI, however some people have made the effort to learn unix/linux in their spare time and use it for coursework and projects. In fairness what are you supposed to do - they don't exactly advertise that the course is unix-free on the CAO handbook. Are their IT/CS courses available in Ireland that are heavily unix-centric and would it be useful to do one just to get the piece of peper saying "doesn't freak out at shell prompt".

Also it isn't only CS in TCD that is unix-free. The CSLL and Information and Communications Technology courses AFAIK are also windows-only.

> AARGH!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It's true that the course barely mentions unix and most people would either brick it if presented with a unix console or laugh that you didn't use a GUI, however some people have made the effort to learn unix/linux in their spare time and use it for coursework and projects.</font>
    This would be important.
    In fairness what are you supposed to do - they don't exactly advertise that the course is unix-free on the CAO handbook.</font>
    Ha! smile.gif
    Are their IT/CS courses available in Ireland that are heavily unix-centric and would it be useful to do one just to get the piece of peper saying "doesn't freak out at shell prompt".</font>
    I dunno. Maynooth's Computer Science & Software Engineering course does feature Unix a bit; but not a lot (but we do use GCC and G++/GXX a lot).

Those 3 years of Linux experience should count for a fair bit. Mention that in the "skills" section of your CV.

[This message has been edited by JustHalf (edited 03-07-2001).]

• Advertisement

Are their IT/CS courses available in Ireland </font>

What, they have Counter Strike courses biggrin.gif (I'm sorry no more spam from me, promise)

Advertisement