Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price Rise\ITV\C4\C5 on Sky Digital

• 27-07-2002 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

Just want to make a point on ITV\C4 not being on SKY's Irish EPG.
    As said in another thread, We dont have a given right to view not just the commerical UK channels, ITV\C4\C5, but also all the BBC channels. If you dont subscribe to NTL\SKY\Chorus\MMDs, etc. You receive RTE1\Network2\TV3\TG4, thats all, No more no less, We pay €80/€90 (not sure) for a TV license and thats all we get. Now Im going to cast your mind back. As my da, told me the other day, In the late 60's all we had in Raheny was Telefis Eireaan. Some people then put a Aeriel up and "hacked" into The UTV\BBC signal. Then in the 70 the RTÉ relay's came along therefore allowing everyone get UTV\BBC1 NI\BBC 2, that progressed into Cablelink and along came RTE2 and Channel 4. So if you were a cablelink subscriber you got the 2 irish stations and the 4 british ones, if you just had the "dog ears" all u got was the two Irish ones.
    Now I dont know how many people on this board know this, put Cablelink were given the UTV\Channel 4 feed for free, until one day, UTV and Channel 4 said we want £x for the feed, BBC followed suite and the subscribition went up. Then in the late 80's\early 90's Sky one\Sky news\The Childrens Channel and MTV were all added to Cablelinks system. Like the British channels, these were given free to Cablelink. Then around 1992, Sky said to show Sky News\Sky One you have to pay £x. Cablelink didnt agree and the two Sky Channels went off cablelink, followed a couple of weeks later by MTV. Then in 1994, Cablelink put £5 a month on the fees and we got MTV\Sky News\Sky One\TV5\Eurosport. So anyway we are only entitled to 4 channels. If Sky\NTL\Chorus want to give us other channels, we have to pay extra. It is the same in the UK My auntie has analoge terestial all she gets is BBC1\BBC2\ITV1(Granda)\Channel4\Channel5. Although she picks up the welsh versions of these channels"put she has hacked those with an aeriel. If you have Digital Terestial in the Uk you get the 5 standard stations plus BBC News24\BBC Choice\BBC4\CBBC\CbeebiesC, but all that is covered in the license fee. So Sky arent in the wrong, NTL\Chorus arent in the wrong. The only diffence between our Sky subcribtion and the UK one is the interactive which they say will be on-line here by the end of the year. E4 isnt interactive here because "E4" said so, (Not SKY). Commonwealth Games\ World Cup werent interactive here because BBC have problems with it (not Sky.)
    So I hope that clears things up with people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Sin e an Fear

Of course Irish viewers don't have the 'right' to receive the UK terrestrials (or vice versa). The onus is on broadcasters to clear rights for territories where they want to show their programming, and if they don't want to show it there, they don't have to.

As I understand it, cable and MMDS operators in RoI have to pay BBC, UTV and C4 to clear the programme rights, although What Satellite TV libellously accused them of 'cable stealing'. Complaints please to alex.lane@wvip.co.uk

Take the case of Gibraltar, where I'm off to next week. A cable TV network is being set up there. It wants to carry Sky (inc UK terrestrials) on its network, but it can't, and Sky have said this.
    Although it's a British territory, UK programme rights don't apply there any more than they do in Spain.

However, EVERYBODY watches Sky (inc UK terrestrials) as community satellite systems are in every block of flats. See the schedule for the local station GBC http://www.gbc.gi is and you can see why. GBC is a joke- it used to carry BBC Prime, but dropped it after BBC1 and 2 became available- BBC Worldwide were not best pleased.

It's a bit like the deflectors in Ireland- if the Government of Gibraltar were to clamp down, there'd be a backlash.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Sin e an Fear

As I understand it, cable and MMDS operators in RoI have to pay BBC, UTV and C4 to clear the programme rights, although What Satellite TV libellously accused them of 'cable stealing'. Complaints please to alex.lane@wvip.co.uk

They do indeed, and the BBC rights payments are now up for renegotiation, and it appears a storm may be brewing... check out http://icdg.boards.ie for more...

Advertisement