Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon XP running temperatures

• 27-07-2002 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Probably covered before...

I'm just wondering does anyone any idea of what the optimal running temperature for the athlon XP series is. I recently built a machine with an XP 2100 in it and i got a coller master fan/heat sink combo and it keeps boiling over so to speak :)

I.ve left the covers off now and mounted the case fan above the cpu and it idels at about 54 Degrees C.

I have a new cpu aswell that has double fans in it to keep the cpu cooler. But im just wondering on running temperatures.

Regards and TIA,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My XP1800+ (with no overclocking or anything done to it) idles at about 38-42 degrees, and gets up to 48-50 under full load. Using a mid-range coolermaster hsf and a single case fan, and the case fully covered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1700xp @45 to 50 temp.

using the basic fan that comes with it and covers on.

kdja

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

my 1900xp+ palomino is around 45 degrees idling, goes up to 54 or so under pressure and peaks at 60 under extreme conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

If you leave your case open and your CPU temp drops then you have an airflow problem in your case....

Also I have heard that having the CPU fan blowing onto the heatsink is better than pulling air off it. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Me XP1900 is at 47 idle and 52 load with a Silver Mountain at 7v
    With me case open it is at 45 idle and 49 load because i only have 1 case fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Mine AthlonXP 1600+ can run anything between 40 - 55 *c. Its running a cooler master which is amazingly quiet. I dont have any case fans on my PC yet but am going to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I just noticed i got the wrong bloody fan/heat sink combo. i had ordered an XP 1900 and got a fan/heat sink for that and then we had money to spare so i ot an XP 2100, and i forgot to change the fan/heat sink. anyone know where id get one in ireland? maplin? peats??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I have seen CoolerMaster Fans in both Peats and Maplin. I saw a nice cooler master that goes up to 2.2Ghz in Maplin. Im not too sure of the prices ... you will have to check the sites. I recommend the cooler master though... tis very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I have a CM 6I31C on an XP1800 with a little case fan and a hole beside the mobo printer port. usually around 50oC idle.
    I recommend the cooler master though... tis very quiet
    good fans but mine's a noisey bastid :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

XP1900(1.6GHz 12x133FSB @ 1.7v) running at XP2100(1.73 12x144 @ 1.79v) idles at about 35*c and maxes at about 40*c.

I have 2 low noise out take fans (34cfm iirc) and 1 delta 92 mm (59cfm).
    And i have an Alpha PAL 8045 with a 80mm Delta (69cfm).
    V.Noisy but i wear h/phones and can't hear it.
    And at lan's it isn't noticble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Flame - the computer centre in Kilkenny have a few coolermaster socket A hsf's in stock. Dunno which ones, but worth a look since its fairly local for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

used to idle at 30C and 35 under load. is now 40 idle and 46 under load.

Gotta re sit the heatsink me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Try itdirect for the heatsink, maplin will charge an arm + leg for it. Also Komplett have a coolermaster rated for the xp2200+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I.ve left the covers off now and mounted the case fan above the cpu and it idels at about 54 Degrees C.

if you have a case fan you should keep the covers on for better cooling. The fan will pull the air in for the vents which should blow air over the CPU. If you leave the cover off then the air will just arrive by the path of least resistance

Advertisement