Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you think of the Osbornes?

• 28-07-2002 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

whats your opinion of america`s first reality sitcom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

First of all... "Reality Sitcom" is just another buzzword spun by MTV to get more stupid ****ing idiots watching.

Second of all, that idiot son puts me off the entire show.

Third, it's not really that funny. "Oh, I just put me foot in the cat bowl!" ha ha bloody ha.

Fourth, it's derogitory to Ozzy. A time honoured singer who's been going for over 30 years, and wrote some of the best songs/lyrics in the world is now a spetacle of laughter? Great.

Fifth, it's crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

quote: "Fourth, it's derogitory to Ozzy. A time honoured singer who's been going for over 30 years, and wrote some of the best songs/ lyrics in the world is now a spetacle of laughter? Great."

Umm are you deaf or what? Ozzy's lyrics never made sense to ozzy never mind anyone else. He's no more an object of ridicule now than he was 30 years ago. The programme presents him as he is: an actually pretty sane simple individual with an addiction problem who is mentally and physically in bits becuase of all the drugs and drink he took. It's the rest of the family who are mad.

There's nothing better than watching ozzy shamble about like a zombie with that locked expression as if to say "what the ****s going on" just before he asks "what the ****s going on?".

Note to kids: Drugs are bad. Hash is bad. Don't believe me? Look at ozzy. The man's ****ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Heh, you think smoking dope did that to the man? Have you any concept what amount of hard drugs he did? Or how bad for you standing in front of half a billion decibels for half your life is?

As to the show - love it. It's a fascinating look into a very dysfunctional family, but in a lot of ways, you look at them and go "that's not so different"... I guess the very fact that they're being held up by the yanks as a banner of pure dysfunctionality makes us all look at our own families, grin and go "hey, we were dysfunctional too, but it was kind of fun."

It's a good show. It's entertaining, sometimes it's thought provoking, and it's funny in a way that makes you look a bit more at yourself and the humour in your own situation.

Oh, and Angelwhore; I have a lot more time for Ozzy Osbourne as a man trying to bring up kids decently in a difficult situation and with crippling (albeit self-induced) disabilities, then I do for Ozzy Osbourne as a media whore who did a lot of drugs in between belting out (admittedly quite decent) tunes and performing stunts to keep him in the media eye. The Marylin Manson of his day, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

What shinji said more or less.

The thing that occurs to me time and time again is how the main person you identify with in the programme is ozzy rather than the rest of the familiy. Even tho hes wrecked due to various addictions he is (as has been mentioned) fairly sane.
    Better than most of the crap on MTV (including Jackass)

Angelwhore, get over the fanboy attidude and enjoy it.
    Slutmonkey, id imagine its the fact that hes a lifelong alcholic that has damaged him more than hash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

This thread is slowly turning into a 'hash is'nt bad and it didn't do that to Ozzy'. Agreed Ozzy has taken all manner of drugs and is a testament as to what the human body can take. I still watch the show and will continue to as I think even though the lifestyle is different, American Style Rich Kids, I think Ozzy and Sharon have a down to earth view on things which make it realistic enough to believe, watch and laugh with.
    Oh, and makes people dull, talk shyte and slow to respond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

It's nothing special

I expected better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

**** show. Completly staged, tedious and insulting to the intelligence of anyone who views it. Watching Ozzy stumble (and mumble) through the day whilst dealing with his two spoilt brats is about as humourous as pulling teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i like it. there nothing else to do on a Sunday night

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

**** show. Completly staged, tedious and insulting to the intelligence of anyone who views it. Watching Ozzy stumble (and mumble) through the day whilst dealing with his two spoilt brats is about as humourous as pulling teeth.

Well it's either this, or Big brother...
    I'd rather watch Ozzy shambling around like a semi-intelligent, melted brained humanoid, then watch 12 of the same types of people sleeping around a house all day, being rather dull.

One of the two are now over, thankfully. I didn't mind BB, it's just the fact that it got so... Samey!?

Ozzy, on the other hand, is an unpredictable zombie... And having a rather demented family doesn't help the situation. I can honestly say I've watched only a few of the Osbournes shows, and despised it at first. These days it's elevated itself into something I'd watch if there was nothing else on - And might make me chuckle a few times.

With the success of The Osbournes and BB, they are trying to revamp shows such as the "The Real World" and I assume it is sheer and utter bollocks. I have already complained about this in my "Rant" thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I like it, dunno why; its not exactly hilarious, but I do.

The Real World was around long before BB etc, but it was shoite back then too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

his son`s a raving idiot!nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you're saying hash didn't play a part doing that to the man you didn't listen to ozzy talk about it with his son then. It's amazing how defensive people are about that crap. If he's not a warning against drugs of any kind I don't know what is.

Anyway, looove the show.
    "You don't neet a dog psychologist you just need to get up and open the fu.cking door!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭metalish

Ok, i am probably the only one deffending The Osbournes. It is really good tv watching. I've been a huge fan of Ozzy since i was 15 i'm now 19. I think is lyrics are good but they could be a bit better- Black Sabbeth is a legend of a band and The Osbournes is a programme where at least the kids or ozzy, sharron don't play up to the cameras. It is a dysfuntional familly but then again so is my familly. They've been through ups and downs- and please give Ozzy his credits that he damn well deserves.

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Angelwhore, get over the fanboy attidude and enjoy it.

Why, you know something? You're right! Once again your brilliant and logical views on how my mind works has opened my eyes! Why, I will now go and watch the show with as much intrest as I'd listen to his music just because I've suddenly gotten over my stupid fanboy attitude because of your fantastic insight. And you're perfectly right! It's not because I don't actualy like the show, it's because I've an attitude!

Or perhaps I'll turn my attention an intelligent comment?
    Originally posted by Shinji
    Oh, and Angelwhore; I have a lot more time for Ozzy Osbourne as a man trying to bring up kids decently in a difficult situation and with crippling (albeit self-induced) disabilities, then I do for Ozzy Osbourne as a media whore who did a lot of drugs in between belting out (admittedly quite decent) tunes and performing stunts to keep him in the media eye. The Marylin Manson of his day, nothing more.

That is an interesting perspective on it Shinj, but I can hardly see the difference between making tunes and doing stunts to get in the media's eye, and selling out his own personal life (And that of his family) to get some more media. I could hardly think that putting his kids on TV for all to gawk at is bring them up decently. Especially seeing as most of the 'Bringing Up' has been done already, I don't see that as much of a point on the show's greatness. You're really not seeing any bringing up of the kids in any kind of difficult situation now are you? So the son's a spoiled idiot, just like a million other American kids. Well done Ozzy, you're a ****ing marvel! And how is any disability he has any different to half the pappy's out there? My dad's an alcoholic, and he's in far worse health than Ozzy, so why not give him a TV show? Simple... Because the show has nothing to do with a father struggling with his past habits hitting him hard now. It's a show for a laugh, and people watch it to have a laugh at Ozzy for, as pigman puts it "stummble (and mumble) through the day whilst dealing with his two spoilt brats", and nothing more.

And if you want to look at it from a money-making/media perspective, then the show itself, which is apperntly one of the most widely watched in the world has also spun off an 'Osbourne's Album' and all of Ozzy's albums have been re-released. So what he is doing now is far more affective at putting him in the media (and making more money) than what he was doing in the past. So if you want to fool yourself into thinking that what he's doing now is any more important than being a "Media Whore" then by all means do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    If you're saying hash didn't play a part doing that to the man you didn't listen to ozzy talk about it with his son then. It's amazing how defensive people are about that crap. If he's not a warning against drugs of any kind I don't know what is.

sheesh... do a search for the Hash threads on humanities/politics boards... you don't wanna get one of those monsters started here :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

My dad's an alcoholic, and he's in far worse health than Ozzy, so why not give him a TV show?

Because he's not famous for it. People come to the Osbournes with a preconception of Ozzy - the "price of darkness" - and it's a shock to see the truth.

I'm sure plenty of people watch for cheap laughs. I sure laughed a lot while watching it, but I came away with a deep respect for the man at the same time - and yeah, his son is a bit of a moron but who wasn't at that age? Yeah his daughter is a bit messed up, but what girl isn't at that age? And yeah his wife is a bit of a looney, but did any of you really have a mother who was completely sane?

We're all from dysfunctional families to some degree. It's fascinating to see into someone elses for a change... And you very much feel that you're laughing with them, not at them.

Because he's not famous for it. People come to the Osbournes with a preconception of Ozzy - the "price of darkness" - and it's a shock to see the truth.

Please don't tell me I have to have an abundance of smileys to denote sarcams to you Shinji... I'd expect that from a newbie, not from you.
    I'm sure plenty of people watch for cheap laughs. I sure laughed a lot while watching it, but I came away with a deep respect for the man at the same time - and yeah, his son is a bit of a moron but who wasn't at that age? Yeah his daughter is a bit messed up, but what girl isn't at that age? And yeah his wife is a bit of a looney, but did any of you really have a mother who was completely sane?

We're all from dysfunctional families to some degree. It's fascinating to see into someone elses for a change... And you very much feel that you're laughing with them, not at them.

And that's kinda my point... There's nothing spectaculary about him, or his family. He's not done some amazing job raising perfect kids. It's just some gassy windbag farting about the house, not knowing how to work stuff.

I'll admit I did watch tonite's show, and seeing him trying to get the stray cat out was rather funny. But him telling his kids to get up and go to school? I don't see how that deserves so much respect and admiration.

Frankly I've lost respect for him with the show, and I don't really understand why you could gain respect for him from him farting about and doing nothing that anyone else is doing, other than sticking his house and family up on TV to make a buck.

I'm not saying that he was some kind of mystical idol, or figure in my childhood, and that the show ruined my image of him, mind you. I don't think I've actually had any preconseptions of him like 'the prince of darkness' or some **** like that. But he was one of the most infuencial characters in rock music history, and I did respect him for that, it's just that I don't see anything respect worthy in the show.

He's simply not doing ANYTHING.

And as you put it yourself "We're all dysfunctional Families to some degree", so how do you say that and say about how much of a deep respect for him you have gained?

I can appreiciate the show for a cheap laugh, but you really seem to be making something out of it that it's simply not. And to be honest, I'd expect more from you.

Personally, I'd rather watch Jackass, or Tom Greene. They usually have very piss-yourself-laughing moments, as purile and stupid as they may be. But at least I'm not making them out to be any more than they actualy are... Which is just a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

From watching the show I havent lost or gained any more or less respect for ozzy than I all ready had.

It can be funny at times due to how Ozzy has such a hard time dealing with such simple task's as using the tv remote or how he deals with all the pets his family owns.The one thing that I do find weird tho is, in such a big house,why the family spends so much time in the kitchen?

Anglewhore Jackass and The Tom Green show are not in the least bit funny.They cater for morons and the lower etches of society.A retard jumping into a heap of elephant **** is not funny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Consider me a moron from the lower etches of society then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Consider me a moron from the lower etches of society then.

Consider it done.

• Advertisement

AW, your continued hypocrisy is outstanding.
    Originally posted by AngelWhore

Why, you know something? You're right! Once again your brilliant and logical views on how my mind works has opened my eyes! Why, I will now go and watch the show with as much intrest as I'd listen to his music just because I've suddenly gotten over my stupid fanboy attitude because of your fantastic insight. And you're perfectly right! It's not because I don't actualy like the show, it's because I've an attitude!

Or perhaps I'll turn my attention an intelligent comment?

Such as
    Fifth, it's crap

Wow, pretty reasoned argument there alright.

Just like you to respond to one line of my post to prove whatever point you are trying to prove.
    Let me explain the fanboy comment for the hard of thinking (I.E. you)

In your original post, the only reason you gave for not liking the show that made any sense was:
    Fourth, it's derogitory to Ozzy. A time honoured singer who's been going for over 30 years, and wrote some of the best songs/lyrics in the world is now a spetacle of laughter? Great.

How could it be derogatory to Ozzy? He sanctioned it you fool. The fact you consider his music and lyrics to be the best in the world has no bearing on the rest of us in the real world. Just because he is no longer a figure of goth idealism and that has shattered your precious illusion of him doesnt give you a reason to hate the show.

Theres some lovely moments in the show when we see ozzy about to go onstage, bumbling about as is his wont. As sooon as he goes onstage he is transformed into the Prince of Darkness by the fans in the gig, who have no idea that this is a man who cant work his remote control, has difficulty with his neighbours playing the music too loud and has family squabbles just like everyone else. I imagined a lot of these fans would die if they thought he WASNT at home eating bats and dabbling in the black arts. Your post just confirmed what i was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Rufus T Firefly

It's a diverting way to while away an hour - what amazes me is that anyone is surprised that Ozzy's now in flitters. I got into Sabbath when I was 14 (I'm 38 now) and even then he was notorious for the huge amout of gear he ingested. There was a famous spat between him and Tony Iommi on the pages of Sounds music paper. Iommi basically said the band were better off without Ozzy on account of his vast intake of nefarious substances. Ozzy's reply was "Ask Tony how many quaaludes he does these days."

I first saw them in 1978 with the original Sabbath line up. They made the sweetest and noisiest sound you ever did hear (although I saw Motorhead 4 times on their first two tours and they were pretty good as well). Ozzy was a magnificent stage presence - a fat tattooed Brummy who gave it welly from beginning to end. Whatever else was going on with him, Ozzy connected with audiences. He gave them 100% and they loved him for it.

As for the show - well let's just say I'd prefer to remember him as a great performer. I don't blame him in the slightest for doing The Osbournes; it seems to have generated a good deal of interest in his music as well as making him a few bob.

I wonder would he do things differently if he had his time all over again? I doubt it. His kids are depressingly ordinary, his wife is a hard-as-nails businesswoman, but Ozzy is the miraculously just-about-still-standing remains of ould indecency. The man's the guvnor.

AW, your continued hypocrisy is outstanding.

Thank you, I'm quite proud of it.
    And it's a great honor to know how much ****e I can blow in one thread.
    Wow, pretty reasoned argument there alright.

Extremely well reasoned indeed.
    Thank you for noticing.
    I think, therefor it is.
    Just like you to respond to one line of my post to prove whatever point you are trying to prove.
    Let me explain the fanboy comment for the hard of thinking (I.E. you)

I guess you haven't yet caught on to my passion for over-statement, and suchlike sarcasm, in this long while we've been boards chums. For shame. Truly, truly for shame.

Of course, unlike you, I know your trail of thought somewhat, and you're probablly going to think that I'm just making an excuse for a quickly blurted and un-thought out steaming pile of rubbish. And you'd probably be right in some case, but as you fail to latch on to my "Continied Hipocrisy" it's all the more funny regaurdless.
    How could it be derogatory to Ozzy? He sanctioned it you fool. The fact you consider his music and lyrics to be the best in the world has no bearing on the rest of us in the real world. Just because he is no longer a figure of goth idealism and that has shattered your precious illusion of him doesnt give you a reason to hate the show.

Odly the only Ozzy lyrics I can think of at this moment is "Crazy Babies", and I can't even remember the rest of it. Not a single word!

I COULD make light of the fact that the point you've tried to make was adressed days before you tried to make it... But I wouldn't want to make you look like a complete and utter twat now, would I... Would I? I think I would, really...
    I'm not saying that he was some kind of mystical idol, or figure in my childhood, and that the show ruined my image of him, mind you. I don't think I've actually had any preconseptions of him like 'the prince of darkness' or some **** like that. But he was one of the most infuencial characters in rock music history, and I did respect him for that, it's just that I don't see anything respect worthy in the show.

My 'Continued Hipocrisy' is only rivalled by your ability to pick and choose the bits of a half arsed arguement that've been adressed. It reminds me of the episode of the simpsons where lenny calls homer slow, and he starts thinking "Something bad said..." then turns around to Lenny four hours later and says "Hey! I'm not slow!" then Lenny saying "Jesus Homer, are you still here? You really are slow."
    Theres some lovely moments in the show when we see ozzy about to go onstage, bumbling about as is his wont. As sooon as he goes onstage he is transformed into the Prince of Darkness by the fans in the gig, who have no idea that this is a man who cant work his remote control, has difficulty with his neighbours playing the music too loud and has family squabbles just like everyone else. I imagined a lot of these fans would die if they thought he WASNT at home eating bats and dabbling in the black arts. Your post just confirmed what i was thinking.

See above.

Ok, its pretty pointless trying to make points when your going to play the sarcasm and overstatement card whenever you feel like it.

Enjoy the show.

Well you don't really expect me to stand by a statement like that, now do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i remember seeing the osbournes doing mtv cribs long before they had this show, and they where ****e back then and ****e now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

I only watched 2 episodes of it.Its alright but then again ive never been a fan of reality tv.I really do feel sorry for Ozzy.He hobbles around his house all day looking like he just had a lobotomy and almost gives the impression he doesnt know where he is or whats going on.
    And how can he put up with them freaky kids?The pink haired daughter is grotesque looking and the son looks like something out of the Munsters.Seriously hes like a kid from one of those ancient english horror films-with the black clothes,glazed look and funny english accent.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

A retard jumping into a heap of elephant **** is not funny at all.

And a half-crippled bloke stepping into a cat-bowl is!?

I, too, would watch Jackass over The Osbournes for the simple reason that I am a man with a sick sense of humour, and would generally find the complete ridiculousness of Jackass, or Tom Greene (I am Tom Greene by the way - Ask AngelWhore) quite more amusing than The Osbournes (Which is only mildly entertaining in my eyes).

That is, of course, just my taste. If The Osbournes is on, I would watch it, and thats the end of my arguement.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well it's either this, or Big brother...
    I'd rather watch Ozzy shambling around like a semi-intelligent, melted brained humanoid, then watch 12 of the same types of people sleeping around a house all day, being rather dull.

This, is one of the scariest things I've seen written on Boards.

You actually dont have to watch either of them.

DeV.

• Advertisement

You know, I think I'm going about this arguement from a completely useless angle... Let me try another.

Today I was listening to Ozzy. Probably for the first time in ages, I actualy listened to more than just a brief song... I listened to a LOT of Ozzy. And I was really enjoying it. Loads of great songs like Shot In The Dark, Bark At The Moon, Perry Mason and others, and I was thinking just how great this stuff is, and how much fun it is to listen to... Maybe even playing a little Air Guitar along to it? :)

When I think about it, if I had to sit down and watch The Osbounres for the same amount of time I'd listen to Ozzy, I'd probably start by body-slamming the fecking TV, then maybe some elbow drops, throw it against the wall, and then when it's really down, I'd kick the speakers in.

My point is...
    Looking at Ozzy purely as an Entertainer and nothing else, no ****ing "Respectable Father" or any of that over-blown rubbish... His music, by far, is way more entertaining and enjoyable.

Originally posted by DeVore

This, is one of the scariest things I've seen written on Boards.

You actually dont have to watch either of them.

DeV.

Well Dev, when you've had your PC monitor destroyed by disgruntled family members you tend to turn to TV.

MTV and some other channels were Infested with T-OBournes, and CH4, E4 and the news were being swamped by BB.

They had a habit of both being on either before or after something else you wanted to watch, either on the same channel or when you were having a quick flick through the tele to see what was on.

Thankfully they are all over.
    Scary you say?
    The Boards Drinkies was scary, not this.

Advertisement