Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium 4 running temperatures

• 28-07-2002 5:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭

In the interest of fairness and equity....

I haven't got my mobo yet (fedex have it the bastards) when I get it I will post temps (2.4B GHz P4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The p4 clocks itself backwards when it starts to overheat, so it'll keep running.
    as to what that temperature is, I don't know.

What does it use to measure it?
    Is it left to the motherboard to tell it when to clock back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

Throttling is an internal function of the chip which has onboard thermal sensors. This only occurs when the chip is running near the max spec'ed temp (Tcase = 70C for 2.4GHz). So if your cooling is in order this should not occur....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by marauder
    (fedex have it the bastards)

I cant help but say how bad fedex are. According to the film they crash there planes in a normal storm (Which DHL can fly through) and then steel all your packages. Damn Fedex! DHL are the best :D

The P4 comes with its own cooling stuff on it i though to try and stop people being able to overclock it safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

What are you talking about Winters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

p4(423) 1.4ghz idle: 34-40 underload:70-80

Coolermaster standard fan, no case fans, 1 80mm fan over Rambus Memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by Winters

The P4 comes with its own cooling stuff on it i though to try and stop people being able to overclock it safely.

Thats utter tripe winters, it in fact helps people to overclock safely, because it means you can't overheat the chip.

Bazh, you need to get better cooling for that p4, 70 - 80 under load is in the throttling range, so your chip will be running slower under full load. Some case fans might be an idea?

Running 5 IDE Drives, so was short on molex`s and mobo fan connectors seem to eat up my vcore, i need it to run at least 1.74 or it flips.

Wire all your fans to the one molex connector, and save on molex connectors that way. The fans are taking power from the 12v line, same as your cpu. Sounds like your psu is struggling under the load.

You may want to try reseating your CPU heatsink too. Remember to remove all the thermal interface material and put on new stuff.
    Gerry is right though, get those fans working

Got my new case, and havent had the time to hook up all the fans yet(need mah Soldering Iron+tools), also can you give me some info on how to hook up say a couple of fans to the one molex is it just a case of stripping the wire and joining it.

New temps
    30-40 Idle

40-50 under load

• Advertisement

Yes it is that easy. What I did was get one of the female molex connectors, ( the connector on a hdd or cdrom ) and hook all my fans up to that so I can easily unplug them from the psu.

Originally posted by Gerry

Thats utter tripe winters, it in fact helps people to overclock safely, because it means you can't overheat the chip.

Im Sorry :D

Na, thats just what i heard and read. Thank you for correcting me so i will not make the same mistake again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by JustHalf
    What are you talking about Winters?

That Castaway movie with Tom Hanks in, I'd guess.

He, He, Yea. My uncle is the general manager of DHL (Not in Ireland) so therefor obliged to slag the s**t into FedEx at every chance.
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I was talking about the P4 stuff, to be honest :)

My p4 machine is proving even more tempermental with theses fans, the mahine is randomly rebooting under load, i think its to do with the vcore not being able to go high enough. I`ve set it as high as it can go in the bios(1.85) but shows up as 1.72-1.74 in bios and various CPU programs.

If i run the cpu fan off a molex will that help as well(hopefully less comsumption than from the mobo)

This is really annoying me as i want to run proper fans etc and to maybe overclock or at least achieve stability without resorting to underclocking

What size PSU have you got? you might not have enough power for the P4 with all the fans etc...

Well the cpu takes power from the 12v line also, so maybe your psu just can't handle it. Load up a motherboard monitoring program, and check what your 12v line is like. If its less than 11.8, your psu is struggling. Its very strange that your cpu is so fussy about voltage at non-overclocked speeds though, normally cpu's will run one notch below default voltage, at default speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Slightly off-topic but while we're talking about DHL here's something interesting for any F1 fans here.

Deutshe Post, who own DHL, are the Jordan team's main sponsor now (you may have noticed the large red DHL lettering on the side of the Jordan's this year. Bit hard to miss, actually! lol) after Benson & Hedges cut back the amount of money they were giving Jordan this year. It looks like Jordan are going to loose their Honda engine deal at the end of this year and they are pushing to get a supply of Toyota engines for 2004. But what about next year, I hear you ask?

Well, recently DHL placed an order for 4,000 new Transit delivery vans from Ford. As a result, the rumours now are that as part of the deal Ford will supply Jordan with engines in 2003, probably at the expense of Arrows who have been using the Cosworth (i.e. Ford) engine this year.

I just thought that seeing as we were talking about DHL that I'd mention it. It sure is a strange way for an F1 team to go about getting an engine supply, isn't it? I guess that's Eddie Jordan for you! :D

Ok, also completely off topic, but it sounds from the tone of your post that you think this may be a good thing. Well when was the last time a ford powered car won a race? The cosworth is just not up there with the front boys, not only in outright power, but sadly in reliability also. Jordan need a good engine, their aerodynamic package and chassis are not up with the front runners, so a cosworth engine will see them firmly mid field next season.

• Advertisement

Its a new PSU that came with my Chieftec Matrix case and is 360w, while my older PSU that could handle(just about) was a 300w, but wity no case fans. Also notoced that in SiSoftSandra it appears that 2 of my Rambus are pc600 while the other 2 are pc800, Once i get hold of my machine i`ll report all back(at work).

I was also thinking of upgrading to a newer p4 based system and keeping my RAMBUS(4*128`s). Either this or go the AMD road(would have to be pc2700 ram as i`m used to rambus speeds now.)

My abit th7 mobo IDE 1 is also fúcked as well, thats why i was thinking of upgrading.

....... or just leave it tell say christmas or so and upgrade then

I would rather have 2 machines than upgrade one - as in buy a amd mobo/cpu/ram rather than buy p4 cpu/mobo - i`d say the prices are the same.

hmmm its a toughie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

wow, i thought i was running high temps here...

got a p4 1.8a overclocked to 2.5ghz (140mhz fsb) at the moment, upped the voltage to 1.7v by wiring the pins together, and in a closed case the temp under load is 50-55C.

it worked fine at 2.7ghz with the case open, but when I close the case the temps fly up and above 60C and the thing crashes after 10-15 minutes under load.

50-55C looks ok. just using the stock intel cooling, and put up one 80mm fan for air intake.

i suppose if the cpu was left at default voltage it would generate a lot less heat, but i don't feel like undoing the voltage pin mod after going through all that trouble :)

baz, if you could run mbm5, or the hardware doctor on the abit cd, look at the 12v line.

The fact that you have the chieftec psu confirms something that I found with it. I built a machine with the 340w psu, and had major voltage drops on the 12v line, even at stock speed. This eventually resulted in me getting an enermax 450w for it instead.

Try putting the old psu back in, see do your crashes go away.

yeah i`ll try that but with my new case and the extra fans i doubt if the psu will cope with it,

Stupid question~if i run one HDD, one FDD, one CDROM, will this use less power than my config of 2 HDDs, 2 CD ROMS, 2 FDDs, and fans etc.

I`m gonna sort it out for resale, and prolly go the AMD road, but if i can get it running to my standards, i`ll keep it.

Ill run hwMon later on,

Cheers

Well the new case by itself makes no odds to the psu.
    Removing a hard drive and cdrom will make a slight difference to the load on the 12v line, worth a shot for troubleshooting.

some psu's have rheostats for adjusting the voltage lines... an old a-open psu of mine had two rheostats, one for adjusting 3.3v and 5v lines and the other for adjusting the 12v line. needless to say, if you're computer is drawing too much current and the voltage drops causing instability, you can up it a little and get it to proper levels.

checking this would require to open the psu, which will probably void your warranty, but it's worth a shot.

I`ll do a full trouble shoot as soon as i can, all i need is spare parts to verify each component i`m using. I`m gonna try 2 gfx cards to check if maybe my gfx card is hogging the power.

My gfx card is a gefarce 2mx 200

Keep the voiding warranties type posts coming i`m all for that, i`ll open the PSU later, what exactly should i be looking for.

erm, just make sure you plug out the power, because atx power supplies are actually powered on all the time. they keep the 3.3v state when the computer is "powered-off".

the rheostat is also called potentiometer, it's a little round thing which looks like a small dial, usually has two wires coming out of it soldered on to the power supply, with a small slot in the middle of it that you can put a flat screwdriver in and turn the dial to the left or to the right.

if you notice those in your power supply make sure you note how it was set before you change it.. and change it slightly, put it back in the computer and check the settings and keep on going.

here's a picture of one from maplin's catalogue:
    6499i0.jpg

the ones i had in my psu were flatter and brown, but this will give you an idea of what you're looking at.

Cheers, i may not be offloading my machine just yet, i could also put this all down to the 850 mobo and it being an early 423 p4

• Advertisement

P4 2.4B (no oc yet) idle ~35C load 40-45C
    cpu cooling fan on medium speed......

Advertisement