Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium 4 running temperatures

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by netman
    erm, just make sure you plug out the power, because atx power supplies are actually powered on all the time. they keep the 3.3v state when the computer is "powered-off".

Its the earth thats running through all the time. Although in My Chieftec MidiDragon there is a switch at the back which will turn off the power including the earth power. Tis useful if you =r goign away and stuff... saves that little bit more on the bill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its not earth "power". Earth is a connection to earth, not a source of power. The power running through the board is standby power, which means that all the components will have power going through them also, and you should switch off the psu if it has a switch or switch off the socket the pc is plugged into. This topic of how to earth your pc when working on it came up recently, I aint going through it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I done a full diag on my machine yesterday, i took the whole thing apart and put it back in bit by bit.

The first test i done was to measure vcore and +12v line(using hwMonotor) with basic system in: mobo, gfx, one HDD, one CD, one FDD.

The chieftec PSU(360w) was showing a 11.92 - 12.05 on the +12v line, but was fluctuating(sp?) on the vcore 1.71 - 1.76.

So i switched back in my 300w PSU(name unknown)
    +12v line was showing 11.92 - 12.05(constant at 11.98 usually), on the vcore it was a steady 1.76(which i need)

So seeing that my 300w was performing better, i began adding the rest of my components(one at a time and checking vcore etc.)
    So i added an extra HDD, CD and FDD and 4 case fans.

Running a stock speed(1.4ghz), the 300w PSU was performing grand, but once i used my Digi cam(which takes power from the USB) i was getting the restart crap i was getting earlier. So i had the idea of flashing the bios to see if that fixed up any power vcore issues. I started with the first release and worked my way up to a bios that performed satisfactorily(the 3rd one).

So now all works well, it just means that i`ll probably not be able to overclock it without the purchase of a new PSU. It was never overclocked at all either.

So now that thats cleared up, i`m probably going to sell it(as a whole or parts) Specs are:

Abit Th7 Raid mobo(pri master not working - still 3 ide slots tho)
    Pentium 4 sct 423 1.4ghz
    300w PSU with ATX case.
    Iomega Zip 650 Burner(8/4/32)
    Samsung DVD Drive
    512 RDRAM(2 pc 600, 2 pc 800)
    Creative standard Sound Card.
    Geforce 2mx200/ or Radeon FSC 32 meg card (both similar performace)
    40 GB HDD(maxtor)
    Floppy
    Keyboard+mouse
    15" Sony Trinitron Mon(dodgy cable needs to be positioned in certain way to work)

What sorta price can i get for it.

Anyone interested, might even throw it up on the For Sale boards(but would prolly get offered €50)

Advertisement