Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal MP3 Players

Options
  • 28-07-2002 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭

I am think ing about buying a personal Mp3 player, I want one that can scroll the song name on Album name, Can anyone help me in which one to pic,

Ive been looking around and to be honest I can only see a Godmans in the Argos book fro €149 that will display the names?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Personally I'd recommend staying away from Mp3 players and get one of the new Sony USB Minidisc players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Hmm tell me more about this, this sounds intereting...... Hows musg does of of these babys cost, I take it you can copy your mps on to a mini disc and will they also have name scrolling???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

http://ie.europe.creative.com/brands/family.asp?fami=7

That one, the Creative Nomad Jukebox III, is probably the best one at the moment, I believe it can scroll the list like you want to, has 20 gigs of storage, 11 hours battery life, but it costs around 350 quid (in the us, dunno what it'll cost here)
    Looks like a nice piece of kit, I'll probably get one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i have the sony NetMD player N707 and it ROX!

its gonna set you back around €315 but its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

i have Phillips Rush, and although there is feckall memory, the display options are very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Stay away from the mp3 players alright. Mini-Disc is your only man, especially those ones Pigman mentioned. Leave them for a couple of months and the price could fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I got the Iomega HipZip about a year ago and I think it's great. Fantastic sound. Uses zipdiscs too so you don't have to worry about memory. It's a lot cheaper now than when I bought it. The headphones were a bit crap though - I bought decent ones for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 staring elf

definately get a mini-disc player and not an mp3 player - they're way better. also, check out ebay.com
    you can get them there for about half the price. shipping will cost you about 20 dollars but you'll still save a good hundred quid if you buy it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i was thinkin of buying an mp3 discman sometime next week, i'll probably be spending up to 200 yoyos.
    anyone reccomend one for anything up to that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have just bought the 6 GB Dap jukebox from the States. I have to say its very impressive for an mp3 player holding approx 1000 songs. Battery like is crap though and I had some compatability problems with my motherboard (Via chipset).

As for an MP3 discman I hear the Phillips Exp is sh*t hot... You can buy/view it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068NQ6/qid=1028707540/sr=2-5/ref=sr_2_19_5/202-0491392-4158249

Only costs £70 STG too.

As for Minidisc - they are an excellent choice.. the only problem being you cant transfer MP3's directly on to the disc (or have I missed something ?)

Hope this helps...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i have a freecom beatman which uses 8Cm cdrs, they are about 185 mb per cd and they ost about 11 Euro for 5 in argos.
    the sound is great and it doesnt skip that much at all. you cant scrll throught the names though, and it doesnt have a random button or a program button so its a bit basic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

As for an MP3 discman I hear the Phillips Exp is sh*t hot... You can buy/view it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...0491392-4158249

Only costs £70 STG too.
    looks pretty good, the next model up is the one that's got my attention
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068NQ5/ref=pd_huc_qp_1_2/202-3307866-9759832
    twice the battery time, can be dispatched in 1-2 weeks, and it's got a groovy orange display.
    £100stg, which should work out at about 155+yoyos (not sure about the shipping costs)
    perfick!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

what about an iPod
    its possible to get PC friendly versions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Check the Archos 20gb jukebox. Bit pricey at eur500 but worth it in my opinion:

http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=4810&type=6&sid=200594x0

I was considering buying an archos one a month ago, (it's cheaper from thinkgeek.com, by the way) but decided against it because it got some very mixed reviews on amazon.com, a lot of people had problems with it and had a hard time contacting the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I guess it depends on what you are after.
    I went travelling for 6 months recently and took a Rio volt with 24 CDR's of mp3s. Best investment I ever made. I have 200 albums in a pretty small case and the CD players are way cheaper than HD based players.

However it still is the same size as a portable CD player so if you are looking for something to go jogging with etc... then the Rio Volt (or the Philips above ) is not what you are looking for.

I wouldnt bother with mini discs. Format never really took off , and isn't now that mp3/ogg/whatever is around.

PS If you have the money then the iPod is the biz

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

I wouldnt bother with mini discs. Format never really took off , and isn't now that mp3/ogg/whatever is around.
    then you havent seen the new MD drives that are similar to floppy disk drives that will enable recording mp3s to minidiscs 32 times more faster then usual. if you use the long play minidiscs that will mean 320 minutes of music transfered on a 80 minute MD in only 2.5 minutes.

at the moment they are only available for the sony VAIO range of laptops. hopefully they will be released for PC soon.

http://www.vaio.sony-europe.com/eng/products/notebooks/nv-series_frames_top.html

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Thanks for the tip Phaxx but like Amazon they dont ship electronics outside the US which is a shame - anyway Id be slightly worried about warranty. My mate has an Archos for a couple of months and swears by it. The Amazon comments are a bit worrying but so far my mate hasnt had any problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 philippe_s

J'ai un Sony Net MD. Il est techniquement sain et vous pouvez jouer mp3s mais la limite est 128. Le musique est de bonne qualitie.

Java: yeah, it seems some people were fine and others had a terrible time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yup i have a sony MD with FM/AM radio but its a pain in the ass carrying around 3-4 disks and swapping them.My bro has a Archos jukebox whitch is really cool it weighs ( 300g ) which is kinda heavy it's 20 gig and supports usb 2.0 the battery life is 18 hours running on 4AA ( rechargable) ( 1500 mAh ) whitch are supplied x 2 ( 8 in all ) u can use it as a portable harddisk which is really useful.and yeah it shows the artist and song name scroling. 19 gig fits 3,699 songs approx. with space 4 files aswell ( 1 gig ) the headphones that come with it suck but look cool.and the transfer rate is brilliant.prob better than the sony net MD ( 32 times faster blah blah ). im sure you can get it cheaper than E500 ( peats ) if u search the net a bit.

Advertisement