Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need A Job

• 22-06-2001 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭

I just finished my Leaving Cert and I need to find me a job! I want something in the area of networking or even setting up a basic *nix server with say ftp, ssh, sendmail, and apache. But it seems to me that either no on eis hiring or they dont want anyone who hasnt been to college yet. It cant be the fact that these people havent heard of unix!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Get a job in a call centre.
    Start at the bottom and work your way up.
    Basic about 15-16k, xtra training,usually MCP's etc, plus you get to prove if you can stick at something you started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schrodinger:
    I just finished my Leaving Cert and I need to find me a job! I want something in the area of networking or even setting up a basic *nix server with say ftp, ssh, sendmail, and apache. But it seems to me that either no on eis hiring or they dont want anyone who hasnt been to college yet. It cant be the fact that these people havent heard of unix!</font>

18 year olds dont walk into network jobs.
    as X said, youre gonna have to either go and do somesort of unix qualification which will make you employable, or start at the bottom.
    no-one will hire someone who doesnt have proof of skills.
    way of the world im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I like your cat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeh like wwman said, youd be more likely to find a pay toilet full of scottish people than to get any sort of networking job just after doing lc. I'm just out of a diploma course in data comms and I'm still finding it quite hard to score a decent position (hardly anything decent in cork tho). Maybe if u start in either a call centre or data entry position u can work your way up. You really need the bit of paper tho. really comes in handy. Why dont u do a PLC course in networking or data comms and then ull be in a better position? The older u are the more seriously u'll get taken in interviews. Good luck anyway.

I did a FAS course in Computer Networking for 6 months and got a sweet job(albeit low paid) as a network admin of small company. Learnt ****loads in a year and next job I got 50% pay increase biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Point taken. Life's a B*@ch! Do any of know of an jobs in data entry or in any call centres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schrodinger:
    Point taken. Life's a B*@ch! Do any of know of an jobs in data entry or in any call centres?</font>

im looking for a job doing just that, any1 know of any vancancies.
    guess were competing schrodinger.
    smile.gif

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    18 year olds dont walk into network jobs.
    </font>
    walk into bar, find someone with pointy hair, get drunk, get job.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    youre gonna have to either go and do somesort of unix qualification which will make you employable,
    </font>
    not a bad idea anyway, will always come in handy, especially if you're looking for a summer job when you're in college. you can pickup a certification in just about any area, suns java certs are worth looking into too (if you're that way inclined)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    smile.gif

</font>

Hey Chernobyl I challenge u to a duel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    </font>

competing for a data entry job? now I've heard it all.. dont worry lads, theres plenty to go around..

isint the interview for data entry something like

1. Can u type?
    2. Are you sure?
    3. When can u start?

• Advertisement

Do not, I repeat Do not get a job in tech support - It is soul destroying. I know a good few people who have got into network admin jobs with no experience from a FAS course. I recommend you look into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yeah, FAS do a PC Maintanence and Network Admin course in a few of the centers. It's about 6 to 9 months but everybody I know (3) who've been on this course have walked into good jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rymus:
    competing for a data entry job? now I've heard it all.. dont worry lads, theres plenty to go around..</font>

Well it could be a technical development job related to Data Entry, which does require knowledge of how data entry works . Despite what developers think unless you have done training in it, it is a seperate field. That kind of job at least would be more complicated then just typing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I did a FAS course in VB6, VBScript and DHTML and got a very nice job out of it. I ended up in Networking/T.Support cos no-one would hire VB programmers without experience!
    Its like if your names not down your not comin in!!!Then you think well how do I get my name down?? Vicious circle!!!
    I want a change now so if anyone knows of anything drop us a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 terano

yes i know the thread is old.
    just thought i'd make a point.
    im 18, i have no leaving cert, i am experienced with *bsd, linux.
    I recently got an admin job with a large multinational.
    The job entails network maintanence (NT, 2000, exchange, sql etc) and various other semi related topics eg sql frontends.
    I have no formal experience, I have no training, I have no NT, 2000, sql , exchange or cisco experience.
    They are now paying for my sql training. And in a few months it looks like I will be the IT manager.
    I started 3 months ago.
    I'm aka ark^baby parl and furl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by terano:
    yes i know the thread is old.
    just thought i'd make a point.
    im 18, i have no leaving cert, i am experienced with *bsd, linux.
    I recently got an admin job with a large multinational.
    The job entails network maintanence (NT, 2000, exchange, sql etc) and various other semi related topics eg sql frontends.
    I have no formal experience, I have no training, I have no NT, 2000, sql , exchange or cisco experience.
    They are now paying for my sql training. And in a few months it looks like I will be the IT manager.
    I started 3 months ago.
    I'm aka ark^baby parl and furl
    </font>

jammy bas7ard!

Your Imps Demand Cable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 terano

my point was intelligence is recognised.
    you can beat the system.
    great for the ego too smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by terano:
    my point was intelligence is recognised.
    you can beat the system.
    great for the ego too smile.gif
    </font>

well, in all fairness there are companies out there who will 'take a risk'.
    but the point is that you will nearly always have to go direct instead of an agency as they wouldnt put you forward, and you have to be luckily enough to have someone interview you who has the power to hire you straight away and likes what he sees in you.
    after all, its how i got into IT smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

/me pukes

Advertisement