Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price query for web design

Options
  • 28-07-2002 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi,

In the middle of doing a website for a new company (mates brother), and they got me to do the site. I did the following:

Registered the .ie
    Registered the hosting space
    Designed the website (no cgi, java, flash, just basic html and a few photoshop graphics)

I don't want to link to the site here in case its viewed as a cheap ad effort, so if anyone would care to look, PM me for the url.

Basically, I'm wondering how much I should (or rather, could) charge :)

Thanks a mil,
    lampsie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

sure just post a link, we wont tell ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Depends, lampsie.

Did you pay for the hosting and registration out of your own pocket? If so, you'll have to include that in the bill.

When I do websites for people, I tend to charge by the hour. (Unless alternative payment arrangements were decided up front). How long did it take you to do it? Perhaps the fee should have been decided before you started work.

PM me with the site and I'll have a looksie...........

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

off the topic a little, how much would a basic 5-6page html webpage cost
    and a complex php,flash ,java, cgi cost??
    post the wewbpage up m8 no1 is gonna take the piss theyll only tell u if its good or bad and wats wrong wit it and give u a price:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

how many megs of hosting ?
    who did u use to reg the .ie ? [and why .ie btw, when .coms r dirt cheap]
    how long did it take u to code the site + do the graphics ??

all these must be taken into account. Personally, i wont even consider a site unless I get €200 for the most basic site. For years in school [16 - 18sih] i did sites for far too little money.

rebel my son, for the money is yours for the taking :) altho tis ur mates brother, so my method may not apply ;)

post the link ! no such thing as a cheap effort. we all started somewhere.

in fact, that gives me an idea for another thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Ta lads :)

www.firstcredit.ie/test/

Its probably quite IE5/IE6 specific, mostly done with frontpage 2002 (and the odd bit of Dreamweaver 3 where frontpage fell over doing tables)

I've no aspirations to be a web designer or anything, so please be kind :)

As for why .ie, I wanted to go with .com too but some marketing type person had whispered in his ear that .ie would look more 'irish' so he insisted

So far, bills have been payed by him...

register365 - €60 ish
    hosting365 - €160 ish

...so all thats left to pay is the labour I carried out to register the domain, register the hosting, set up a few mail boxes, and build the site. He supplied the text on the site, and the umbrella logo, I did the rest.

Hence, its kinda tricky to decide how much to charge really, but it did chew up a good 12 - 14 hours in total I suppose, and a fair few quid for the online time.

Much appreciated lads, cheers :)

lampsie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

€15 per hour

€15 * 13 hours = 195

Tell him that this will include any minor changes [make sure to point out what minor changes are so u dont get raped by project creep], for a set time period if you wish.

btw, as a rule, i design sites if at all possible to 800*600.

other than that, keep up the good work :)

Good job, Lampsie!

Nice clean layout, quick to download.

Gone Shootin' is probably right about the price. Go with €15 an hour. Start knocking it up a bit as you get more experienced!

Rgds,
    Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

well the site isnt live yet but we have an article here on pricing if you are interested: http://www.dearadh.org/articles.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Hoojah Nickabolokov

I'll give you a tip!! works for me.

- try to design your websites as a 'draft' image first. By draft I mean using photoshop or fireworks make an image of how your homepage will look. Alter it as necessary until your client is happy with it.

- make a html template. Cut all your images out of the draft and slot them into your tables.

- agree a 'per page' fee. Every page you make after the template you can charge €10/15/20 for - all you're doing is adding new text usually and re-saving.

- maintanance charges. If the site needs updating you could charge €x/hour.

So you can make three or four seperate charges when billing people: design, template, per page.

Your site is not bad, clean. I would suggest making the navigation text a little bigger and you should always really design for 800x600 users. I know you're not trying to make a living out of it but it has to be genuinely worth €500 for me.

nice site Figment ;)

Thanks for the kind words lads :)

Figment, found that article useful, particularly the part about billing seperatly, I'll bear that in mind.

Cheers to everyone else for the tips, about the 800x600 and stuff, was something I'd kinda overlooked...I'll rework the navigation links too

Thanks again :)

lampsie

PS Edit: I've uploaded a twiddled new version, should be more 800x600 friendly...added menu links across the top, and took out that mildly irritating dhtml :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

i think its a v good webby only for the time to d/l i ahve vdsl and took bout 3mins.and the floating text on the banner was out of eye reach(ie off the webpage)very good tho:)
    fair play
    go for a overall 200 i fink myself

I'm not too sure about duplicating navigation on those pages, Lampsie.

The only reason you should have to double up on navigation is if you have a really long webpage, and want to put some links at the bottom of the page (to save people from scrolling back up to the top again).

I also don't think that the site has to be in frames. There is nothing on the site that actually needs frames so I'd consider dumping them..... I don't think you'll find many corporate sites using frames these days anyway (they cause more trouble than they're worth).

- Dave.

Hello,

Tmb, good point on doubling the navigation, might whip out the side ones and replace it with a splash graphic for some service.

As for the frames...wellll, I know nobody really uses em any more, but it just makes it easier for updating (a non-computer type will have to update the site regularly with new figures and stuff, I'd rather he was only playing with the content page, rather than the menu's n stuff) - ta for the advice tho, I'd have recommended it too :)

Cheers to all,
    lampsie

Advertisement