Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just wondering....

• 28-07-2002 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

if i had a harddrive partitioned [using NTFS] to say 4 drives and i happend to get a bad sector could i save the partitions that werent affected by the bad sector??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Id say so. You could try and fix the bad sector (Dont know how... id say Norton could do it). But as far as i know if will .. probably only affect the partition that the sector is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You might be better off not to. Bad sectors are more often than not, catching. Any drive I've had with bad sectors eventually developed more and more of them till it was time to replace.

Alternativley, sometimes your OS will incorrectly mark a sector as bad. I had a Quantam Fireball which had 2 bad sectors for about a year, with no sign of them getting worse. I then downloaded a piece of software (can't remember what it was) which checked if sectors marked as bad, were really bad, as it turned out the sectors had been incorrectly marked as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

If the bad sectors are on one partition, the other partitions will be completely unaffected, unless of course more bad sectors appear. I think the phenomenon of bad sectors spreading is more common on older drives, I remember one drive where I swore that the head was moving a piece of dust around inside the drive, turning everything it touched to a bad sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I had a 10gb Drive that had bad sectors and was forever reporting the wrong disk size and losing data, so i used a program called loformat.exe(google it), it afaik marks the bad sectors on a HDD and doesn`t let you use them(or maybe fixes them), i`m not sure how it worked but it did.

I`ve had no probs with the drive since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

IMHO if you have anything important that you dont want to loose back it up now and get a new drive. I have to agree with Quigs Snr. I had a drive recently that was about 2 yrs old. It started with a few bad sectors and ended up with about 10gB of the disk unreadable (40gB disk) in a very short time...
    If you have nothing imporatant on it then just leave it alone. In my experience though its days are numbered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement