Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a job. !!!

• 11-07-2001 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

I've been loooking for a job now for over a month .... and nothing, i've tried every job agency around and they say "Great ... i think i might have something for you" then you don't hear anything, now i've gone back but to no avail , they don't even return calls ... just wonders has anyone else noticed how bad they have got scine the all the big company's have started letting people go ?????

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands.
    P.S. Avator fromerly know as Gamblor !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

welcome to my world.

Been looking since the end of may and its the same story as yourself with the recruitment agencies. They dont seem to give a toss. Apparently many companies dont want to use them because they cost too much. I've been in contact with about 10 and got replies from one (no interviews thru them yet tho). Keep an eye on the papers and apply to companies directly - its the only way were ever going to get work. Ive had about 4 interviews thru applying directly and I've still to hear back from one or two. So me the qualified network engineer will end up working in data entry or perhaps even mc donalds.. (ick)

It is very bad tho.. but I wouldnt waste any more of your precious time with agencies, they arent worth the schteam off your pish!

G'luck

[This message has been edited by rymus (edited 11-07-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

Hi,
    I livin in that world with you guys. Got two years work under my belt been to 5 recruitment agencies...they all say the same crap! Applying directly is the best thing to do...Here's a story. I applied to a rather large software company in Dun Laoighaire they replied back saying they had "nothing for a person with my skills at the mo'" Then they take on this guy I know who knows jack **** about anything...start him on 16k?!?!?!
    I was really ****ed...I have become very disillusioned with the whole thing!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

stick your cv up on
    www.jobtrack.co.uk
    www.jonserve.com
    www.monster.ie
    and any other job site you can find that will enter your cv into a database
    i did it and now people keep phoning me up wanting tm to go for interviews.
    bit of a pain really!

Your Imps Demand Cable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

But once they meet you Eamo it's another story smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Kenjd,

Sometimes you can be over qualified for a job. It is sometimes cheaper to get someone with no skills in an area and train them as you would never have to pay them much for quite some time.

Or then the person could of BS'ed thier way in.

Here are some tips.
    1. Form Mail.
    I'm not kidding. Get a computer+Printer and tons of stamps. Create a form letter and CV, mail it every company in the yellow pages.

2. Research.
    It's not enough to know your coding/operating system etc. Find out about the company your interviewing for. Find out what products they make, how they work, how much the company made, thier customers. Anything at all. If you have a few days before the interview drop into thier place and ask for blurb on thier stuff or download thier stuff off the net and examine it.

Showing an intrest and knowing about your possible employer helps.

3. Find out why "NO"
    If you are refused the job ask them why. If they give you a form answer then question it.

Eg.

Them: "We feel you didn't have enough experience".
    You: "In what areas? I would like to know what I need to focus on if I am to go for a similar job elsewhere"

Certainly don't scream at them and call them idiots for hiring someone else. smile.gif There can be a 101 reasons why they did and most wouldn't be anything to do with you being better then the person they hired.

In the case of someone getting 16K and you feel you had more qualifications I would in your case (although maybe too late) mention that had you of know they thought it was too expensive to keep you could of prehaps taken you on the same wage for probation and then after that time if it wasn't working out then leave.

Try to get them to honestly answer what they didn't like about your interview. In the case of large corporations if your chatting to the HR person who was part of the interview process some will actually help you.

Lastly I'm sorry to say, recruitment agencies do help you find work however they do have thier own intrests at heart so they will quite happly pimp you out to a job which isn't in your field and ignore you on another possible job for other reasons (eg. they can get better commission with another person).

I'm not saying they don't work, just don't put your faith in one system.

Longest I was unemployed was about 3 months. 1.5 months of that was half holiday half job hunting. I got more interviews from form mailing people in the Yellow pages then I did from recruitment agencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

an example of job agencys
    i semailed one place my cv in oct99 and the first i heard back was july01
    and then they rang again redface.gif:
    some ppl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Firefox

I have noticed a lot of the I.T. Job's in the Papers have Dried up, There's hardly any in them compared to this time last year. This is all a bit Doom and Gloom but it's a fact.
    Just heard on the news that Nortel Networks are letting go people in Shannon and Galway and our first batch of redundancies are going tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Yeah, if you're in a company stay there and cling on for dear life, because theres a currrently a vacancies vacumn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 12-07-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greenbean:
    Yeah, if you're in a company stay there and cling on for dear life, because theres a currrently a vacancies vacumn.</font>

now that is not true.
    there are bloody hundreds of jobs out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

In response to Hobbes
    It was a case that they could get someone with no skills and train them and pay them very low wages!!!!
    I think I'll try the yellow pages. I think that is our best bet.
    And in response to WWMan ...hundreds??? Where???

[This message has been edited by Kenjd (edited 12-07-2001).]

Not for a compsci graduate I'm afraid, pfo's are hard to come by. I've heard of people thinking about moving from good jobs because they're not good in some minor way - but the market is not what it was 12 months ago.

Theres always hundreds of takeaway jobs etc, but if I shall do that, I'll head back to donegal and work in my uncles cafe.

look at any job site.
    ok, theres not hundreds, of a perticular type of job that maybe you are looking for, or i might be looking for, but in the IT sector there are still huge amounts out there.
    and no, the market isnt as healthy as it was 12 months ago. salaries on offer have dropped for a start and thats why people offen complain thats theres no jobs. just because they are looking at a certain type of job with a certain critiria, and now there are less matches.
    i should know, ive been on every job site between here and england every day for the last 8 months. i can pratically tell you what job will get what and depending on the region smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Gibo

Guys,
    If your looking for techhie jobs?? Check out some irish companies websites. Usually they have a recruitment section where they ask you to send CVs to them. I know our company here are looking for tecchies and sales staff right now. I dont know if im allowed mention the company so ill put it here in brackets so mods can remove it if its against the rules etc.. (Systemhouse.com) they do security/Anti-Virus/TAs/Routers/etc.. Its fun here xcept im going in sept to OZ smile.gif)
    You can do a lot worse than checking irish registered domains....
    Gibo ? smile.gif

Of All thge things i've lost, i miss my mind the most!
    Skribbles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

irishjobs.ie is the best place ive ever used anyway. just click "company" and not "agency" when searching... and hey presto

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    irishjobs.ie is the best place ive ever used anyway. just click "company" and not "agency" when searching... and hey presto</font>

true.
    only problem with companies is that a lot of them dont update their site enough.
    you can have no positions on them when there are positions and positions on it that havent been taken down after being filled.
    best bet is to send in a CV to everything smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I got a mail from a job agency in Ireland a couple of weeks back.

It's the first communication I've had from them since I registered with them a touch over two years ago. At the time I wanted to do a support type role for 3 months over the summer before going to university (which of course I eventually didn't do).

Oddly enough I wasn't keen to interview for a part-time tech support position in Dublin... I can't believe that these eejits hold on to your CV for two years, get a match and mail you without stopping to wonder if possibly in two years your CV may have matured a bit!

agreed rob.
    about 6 months ago i got a call from some woman who wondered if id be interesed in being an SMT engineer.
    i had to laugh at here. i used to work on surface mount machines (making ram actually) about 4 years ago. so she figured after about 3 years i must be very good at my job!
    i told her i was in IT now and that there wasnt enough money in the world to make me get into smt. then she asked if i had any friends who knew anyything about smt.
    i also had someone call me this week and ask if i was still looking for a job since hed talk to me last year.
    he even sent me a spec and when i said i wasnt interested, he asked if i had anyone that might like it and that he would give 15% to me if the person i recommended got the job!

just send yuor cv out once a month, or to any jobs you like. these people must have no space left in their filing cabinets from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kali:
    irishjobs.ie is the best place ive ever used anyway. just click "company" and not "agency" when searching... and hey presto</font>

also might be useful (if u're really bored to go through the national software directory and check the companies webpages...
    http://www.nsd.ie/htm/company/display_comp.php3

Recruitment agencies sux, i've tried 15-20 jobs from recruitment agencies and have only heard back from 2 of em, and that was just to say "thanks but u don't have enuf experience for the job, we'll put u on our database...."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What skills do you have, we are always looking for heads with VB, C++, Java or Clarify(which we have never found)

send me on your CV and I can hand it in if you want

• Advertisement

Yop, are you based in Galway or Dublin?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yop:
    What skills do you have, we are always looking for heads with VB, C++, Java or Clarify(which we have never found)

send me on your CV and I can hand it in if you want
    </font>

just graduated from CA in DCU so i have some experience in a few areas....

good ol dcu smile.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by decob:
    just graduated from CA in DCU so i have some experience in a few areas....</font>

send me on your CV and I will see what I can do for you. It is in Galway if that makes a difference.
    Cheers

yop@oceanfree.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yop, I sysadmin a big aul clarify system from development right to now where its live in production - what kind of ppl would you be lookin for smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND:
    Yop, I sysadmin a big aul clarify system from development right to now where its live in production - what kind of ppl would you be lookin for smile.gif</font>

Hit me with that again, you sysadmin a server with Clarify on it??
    To be honest we are looking for developers, if you have Clarify certification then u can ask for more sponds, if you are a programmer with good VB or C++ or Java then you would get certified, they pay £6k for a 2 weeks course so it is worth doin!!

So do u fit!! If you do send me on your CV and I can recommend you to HR, cannot guarantee anything but I will try

send me on your CV and I will see what I can do for you. It is in Galway if that makes a difference.
    Cheers

yop@oceanfree.net
    </font>

emmm prefer something in dublin... cheers anyway...

Cheers

yop@oceanfree.net
    </font>

emmm prefer something in dublin... cheers anyway...

Insane - Am I the only mutha****er with a brain?
    I'm hearing voices but all they do is complain

Advertisement