Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Austin Powers 3-Goldmember

• 29-07-2002 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Apologies if topic has been done but its just out and its not on page 1. I thought GM was a great laugh, some gags done before but on the whole, I enjoyed it immensely.
    Mike Myers is funny as always and plays yet another character on top of Dr.Evil,Austin Powers and Fat Bastard- Golmember (A hilarious Dutch Mastermind whose laugh had me in stitches).
    And of course the first five minutes were sheer brilliance. 3 words-.....Danny De Vito

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I preferred the two bits towards the end, that was absolutely classic. The other henchman's reaction to it.. aah dear. Remember the bit in the public toilet in the first one? Like that, couldn't breathe after that! :) Very enjoyable, am seeing it again on Friday, I believe... :)

Some parts were poor, but a couple of very good scenes make up for that, the opening scene, for example, had me wondering... :)

For the third one in the series, they've kept it going pretty well, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

TBH i didnt enjoy it as much as the other 2.
    Had some funny bits and i guess i smiled most of the way through but was kind of a disappointment to me. The ending was .... but o well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I was kind of disappointed. Some jokes worked, alot didn't, but on whole it just wasn't funny. I loved the first 2, AP£ just took all the good from 1 and 2 and bastardized it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It was very scattergun - do twenty jokes a minute and people are bound to laugh at at least one or two of them - but ultimately, it worked. I /did/ laugh at a fair number of jokes, groaned at a fair few more, and nearly ruptured something laughing at some of the film - Goldmember himself in particular was hilarious, as was the opening sequence with the cameos.

For the third film in the series, I reckon they've done remarkably well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

start was good , kevin spacey was brilliant, rest was ****e except one other joke.

most of the jokes dragged on for ages and weren't funny at all.

not great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I loved it, you know its gonna be a lot of the same jokes again, but Myers still makes them funny. The start and mini me in a wetsuit were just hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I place this film firmly in the "had its moments category", I resented the fact that alot of the jokes were merely the same as his previous movies e.g. the mole thing, the silouette gags. Goldmember himself was rather funny, I've been telling people that their pants are really "toish" :) . The opening was class, and the return to it at the end.

There were some absolutely terrible terrible terrible jokes in it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

Golmember himself was excruicatingly <sp> funny.

Mmmmm salty...

And his laugh was ****in great, I'm even laughin now at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

goldmember_zoom.jpg

Shazammm!!
    im foxxy cleopatra, and im a whole lotta woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

I though the film was awful. Just playin on what is popular now, was just same old jokes again, your one foxy could'nt act. The story line made no real sence and it was perdicable. U could think up better jokes ur self when ur watching it. There was one or two good bits too, danny de vito and seth green dance at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Am I the only one who thought he was watching an advertisment?

I know they tend to have product placement in movies but it was way overboard. A lot of them weren't even plot related.

- Heiniken.
    - Starbucks.
    - Apple Macintosh.
    - AOL.
    - Avian water.
    - Pepsi (goddam brittney spears)

They are the ones I can remember offhand because they were so blantantly obvious. At least in Waynes World they made a joke aobut it.

Also Powers teeth kept changing through the film. I guess it's due to all the time travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

good few car ads aswell ford and mini and that. Was i the only one who though goldmember the villian was terrrible was even slightly funny. Dont even know why the film as called after him. Should have been called austin sell out !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Saw it last night and on the whole thought it was a good laugh. Id tell ppl not to bother going to see it in the flicks, but get it on video, that type of film.

A lot of the gags you could see coming a mile away, but were still really funny anyway. I still hate fatbastard and goldmember isnt much better. Dr Evil remains one of the funniest film characters ever though:)

Hobbes, re product placement. get a life for gods sake. the film wasnt much worse than any other film out there for that type of thing. Macs in a feature film? WOW, WHAT A SUPRISE! :)

On a technichal note, i thought the film was terribly edited. Its very rare that a hollywood film comes out with editing of that standard. There was enourmous plot holes where things had been cut (presumably for time reasons) yet some of the edits were so loose you could drive a truck though them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by Hobbes
    - Pepsi (goddam brittney spears)

Any film where Britney's head EXPLODES gets thumbs up from me! :)

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

As was said earlier - the intro was hilarious. The movie as a whole wasn't as funny as the other two, but deffo worth a watch. The ending was a bit...
    strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

I thought the ad's added to the film slightly :x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just saw it, it ****in rocked.
    Loved it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Like the others it has its truly funny moments, but its very uneven in places. Great fun though. And as for Spank Me, Beyonce (her body is just too Bootylicious for me) she does surprisingly well in an underwritten role. Any film that has a midget being thrown around a room in a sack gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

I thought the movie was very funny through-out, i can see how some might find it painful to watch though.I agree with a dwarf being thrown around in a sack and britney's head exploding getting my vote but i also have to add that the 2 japeanese twins should have gotten a bigger role;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They can have my big role anytime.

I'll show myself out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

LOL!!1
    :D

ok ill make a deal you have fook yu and ill take fook mi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I loved it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Teh Actual character Gold Member was crap. He isnt as original or funny as fat bastard or SCot evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

It does peter out but I enjoyed myself, there were some good jokes, especially the opening. Goldmember however was painfully unfunny and Dr Evil was not given enough material.

Devito and Kevin Spacey alone were worth the price of admission. I couldn't breathe I was laughing that hard...

They overdid the laughing, was funny in the first film but it's just groan-worthy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just saw it and I really didnt like it at all.
    It was just the same old thing.
    Beyonce however looked amazing.
    MiniMe was pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Some parts of it were weak but there were other really funny scenes to make up for that. ie. the opening scene and the scene where Austin is getting the medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

The film wasn't that good but the jokes were ok the opening was the best part of the film it, cracked me up Goldmember was pretty stupid I thought, Myers is running out of good ideas.

Actually, does anyone know what the "pancake and a cigarette?" piece was about?

The bit where austin is in goldmember's office, and is offered various things. Nobody in the cinema laughed, nobody I've talked to has any clue what it was about. I've spoken to a dutch friend and he has no idea either, so it's not some dig at the dutch...

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Am I the only one who thought he was watching an advertisment? I know they tend to have product placement in movies but it was way overboard. A lot of them weren't even plot related.
    Yeah, but I'd rather things were like real life - it seems awfully annoying when they cover up all the labels on baked-bean cans on Big Brother and the fact that none of the residents of EastEnders watch Coronation St or Eastenders themselves. It's just not natural

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭irishman_abroad

at times i nearly exploded laughing, at others i just sat there groaning. Overall I give it a thumbs up but the ending SUCKED !!!!!!

Advertisement