Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fairy Obvious question I think but then again ??

Options
  • 29-07-2002 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Ok,

On a totally different note to my last post...

I recently purchased the 6310 - very happy with it thus far.

Still in that novelty mode. You know the way it is sometimes when you buy something new. And you want to use _all_ the functionalities.

Anyhoo....

I don't have a laptop, but wish to check out the modem capabilities of the aformentioned phone. Now I believe, the standard way to do this would be using bluetooth and a bluetooth compatible device ( bluetooth receiver for your pc ??? ) What I have at the moment is an Infrared adaptor and I was wondering if in some way I could try this out via the infrared link to the phone ??? Or am I just way off the mark.

This, I have to admit is an embarrassing ask for me, as I'm working for a well known communications company and have in the past worked for some time as an internet tech support donkey.

But for some reason, I assumed that a connection using your phone was easier to setup... granted, most of the phones that customers would use were with laptops, and via data cables, etc.

Still and all, I have a desire to know a little ( well a lot to be honest ) more than what I do about setting up such phones as modems for internet connectivity, be it with a PC or Laptop ( or palm type pc for that matter ). So I'd be greatful if you guys would be able to aid me in my quest by letting me know as much as I should need to know to fully understand how this connection method actually works.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if the IR adapter is working (stable) with your PC then it should be ok to set up a connection between it and the phone

have you installed the Nokia Connectivity Suite and on the CD that came with the phone?

you can test a 9.6kbps dial-up connection to see if they can communicate with each other using your IR adapter

are you with Vodafone or O2?

then.... the options for connecting with the 6310 are

1) a dial-up connection (charged per second):
    if Vodafone do you High Speed Data set-up for your account?
    if O2 do you have 14.4kbps Data set-up for you account?

2) a GPRS connection (charged by the volume of data you consume):
    if Vodafone you'll have to wait until start of Aug (fingers crossed) to use Vodafone ISP GPRS.
    if O2 you can get a GPRS account activated by calling customer care / o2 support.

Brian G

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Originally posted by DubWireless
    if the IR adapter is working (stable) with your PC then it should be ok to set up a connection between it and the phone

have you installed the Nokia Connectivity Suite and on the CD that came with the phone?

All above present and correct :)
    you can test a 9.6kbps dial-up connection to see if they can communicate with each other using your IR adapter

Quite simply as a result of my ignorance I'm not really sure what it is you're talking about here.

are you with Vodafone or O2?

Vodafone extra tariff - not sure about GPRS

then.... the options for connecting with the 6310 are

1) a dial-up connection (charged per second):
    if Vodafone do you High Speed Data set-up for your account?
    if O2 do you have 14.4kbps Data set-up for you account?

2) a GPRS connection (charged by the volume of data you consume):
    if Vodafone you'll have to wait until start of Aug (fingers crossed) to use Vodafone ISP GPRS.
    if O2 you can get a GPRS account activated by calling customer care / o2 support.

Brian G

Well basically what I have don't at the moment is such.

Have installed the PC Suite, and 6310 modem software. ( win 2k and win xp - dual boot )
    Have installed infrared adaptor software and confirmed the link to be working with the pc suites graphics, content copier and composer packages - each time uploading to and from the phone via infrared.

Have created a manual dial up networking connection to use the 6310 modem link - hopefully via infrared - as the modem is installed as the 6310 bluetooth modem blah thingie...

Now one thing I have noticed is that on a simple query of the modem in it's properties ( for standard diagnostics simple to a standard modem to retrieve port settings and what not ) I get a communications error whilst retrieving the diagnostics info.

Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Don't suppose anyone as anything to add on this do they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have created a manual dial up networking connection to use the 6310 modem link - hopefully via infrared - as the modem is installed as the 6310 bluetooth modem blah thingie...

Any suggestions ?

I think this is your problem - the phone should be set up on a COM port via infra red. See picture below. The internal modem in the laptop is connected to a COM port, and when I have the phone connected (via Irda) it shows up the same (except on COM6, yours may be different).

Uninstall the bluetooth modem, re-install it as an irda modem.

Let me know if you are having trouble.

TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi Stinkah - sorry about the delay in reply

have a go at this

with the IR adapter conencted and on, install the the Modem Setup for Nokia 6310 software is installed
    (it is the Modem Setup application on the CD ROM)

it will ask you to activate IR on the phone and position it at the IR adapter, it *shoud* determine the COM port and set up an 6310 IR modem driver for you

you need to re-boot after this installation

you should now have a new 'Nokia Modem Options' control in the Control Panel, basically this tool is a GUI for the Modem Initilisation Strings to set up the handset to use HSCSD at differnet speeds and with different types of modem to dial into, and also the GPRS settings

open it and you should see a 'Noia 6310 (IrDA)' entry in the Installed Nokia Modems selection box. Select it and set the data rate you want for HSCSD (note you need to have HSCSD "High Speed Data" activated for you Vodafone pay-monthly account.

Select the type of modem you are dialing into, Modem (Analog), ISDN V.110, ISDN V.120.

I use Vodafone's e-merge ISP for access with HSCSD, you need to set up an e-merge account first to use this. It allows you to use a 087 number, so it's cheaper than a regular land line and you can use it as part of your monthly inclusive minute allowance.

There is a GPRS option but it is expensive to use on Vodafone with a PC / Laptop / PDA. If you want those details let me know and I'll post them up. I'll leave it at the HSCSD setting for the moment.

Now to create a dial-up networking connection.

Prepare the "modem" In the Nokia Modem control panel set these configurations:
    The HSCSD option set to 42.3kbits/s
    The V.110 Modem option selected

To use the e-merge ISP as an example:
    Go to Dial-Up Networking and Make a New Connection
    Call it e.g. HSCSD e-merge ISP
    Select the Nokia 6310 (IrDA) device
    Click Next
    Put +353876202222 in the telephone number
    Click Next
    Click Finish

Right Click on the New connection
    Select Properties
    Uncheck Use area code and Dialing Properties
    Click Server Types tab
    Uncheck NetBEUI and IPX/SPX
    TCP/IP settings are default (server assigned DNS and IP)
    Click OK

Double click on the Connection

Enter username and password details:
    Use your full (with the @e-merge.ie) case-sensitive e-merge e-mail address as your username
    Use your case-sensitive e-merge password as you password

You will get a max 38.4 kbits/s receive with the V.110 connection

if you have any hassle post back and we'll give you a hand

HTH,
    Brian G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I'm just delurking to say thanks for the tip about ticking v.110 instead of modem in the Nokia Modems setup box. I connect using a 6210, a cable and Windows ME and all I could get was 28.8 kbits/s. Of course Vodafone insisted that this was 'really' 43.2, but my download speed would suggest otherwise. Considering how much I spend on HSCSD you'd think they could have at least advised me about the correct connection settings. I'm now on 38.4 kbits/s.

Thanks again folks!

Advertisement