Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Errcom running SCARED!!! :D

Options
  • 29-07-2002 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Looks like errcom is getting worried :D about beam,
    I have heared they have been calling beam trying to find out where there @ :D
    yes! Be afraid, be very afraid errcom.. your gonna be droped like a tone of B-ricks!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Do you work for beam bone?
    You seem to be the only person who hears anything about them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by BoneCollector
    I have heared they have been calling beam trying to find out where there @ :D

more like:

"listen, if we give you €2mil, will you delay your launch because of 'technical issues' ... "

Reminds me of chorus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Just wondering but are beam actually out ? Are they providing that 70 euro for a 1mb connection thingy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

there still in testing phase.. roumour has it it will be Sept.
    But i would`nt go blue over it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Excellent. It may take longer to happen but I believe we will eventually have reasonably priced and widely available fast internet access in Ireland. Eircom will no doubt do their utmost to hinder this but they will ultimately fail and be forced to offer competitive packages or go out of business.
    Perhaps the mutant mouse will be no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I just rang and they said it'll be €29 when it launches! September, that would be fantastic *IF* it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

september... When this all started, the launch was in a few weeks, then it was end of july, early august... now its september ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Do people think there is going to be a nationwide launch in September? Have they said this publically?

Its been hinted Sept or possibly earlier after they have done some more testing in Meath (i think?) somewhere outside of dublin.
    However anytime soon would better.
    Personaly if we see nothing potential by Aug 31st then its gonna be a loooong wait.. probably another Chorus. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Do people think there is going to be a nationwide launch in September? Have they said this publically?

They'd be fools if they did.

adam

• Advertisement

But I can't see how they can go from testing in Meath straight to nationwide unless they have been secretly installing equipment around the country. If this is the case, why would they be doing tests now? As far as I know, they have never said that they would have a nationwide service any time soon.

Originally posted by dahamsta

They'd be fools if they did.

adam
    Which question is that the answer to? :)

they have never said that they would have a nationwide service any time soon

I think they where talking DUBLIN not nationwide.
    I think they said, they where testing outside of dublin to get a better idea of how best to implement in the city and that it would not be a good idea to test in the city 1st. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

I think they where talking DUBLIN not nationwide.

Ugh, not again. Another service the Republic of Dublin gets an eon before everywhere else. I know that about 1 million people live there and all, but I get really tired of the way the rest of the country is neglected.

I get really tired of the way the rest of the country is neglected.

Eh!? have you not notice how NTL ESAT Chorus Neglecting Dublin Lately? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

Eh!? have you not notice how NTL ESAT Chorus Neglecting Dublin Lately?

NTL, as far as I'm aware, have only ever offered their cable net access in dublin. Not in Waterford anyways (where I'm from).

As for Esat, I doubt their decision to offer DSL in limerick first was a tactical decision on their behalf to screw themselves out of money. I'd say it's much more likely that they unbundled the exchange there because of something to do with eircom. They'd hardly cut of their noses to spit their faces, now, would they? ;)

And lastly, Chorus have always been primarily interested in serving the needs of rural Ireland where cable isn't available. I hardly think Dublin qualifies as being rural, although I know that they do offer their services there too. Maybe ya have me with them ;)

By the way, the above argument isn't in anyway malicious, just in case ya start thinking I'm trolling or something.

Adios!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

NTL, as far as I'm aware, have only ever offered their cable net access in dublin. Not in Waterford anyways (where I'm from).

Im in Waterford meself, and we should be greatful! Only Waterford and Galway have the NTL 1-Way network, where we get 48hrs free at the weekend, but for some reason, nobody's heard of it. About 4 people freaked out at a lan recently when I told em.

By the way, the above argument isn't in anyway malicious, just in case ya start thinking I'm trolling or something.

NO!? :confused:
    Oh Darn! it! :rolleyes:
    And i was looking forward to a good Bish Bash Bosh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RFHost

Im in Waterford meself, and we should be greatful! Only Waterford and Galway have the NTL 1-Way network, where we get 48hrs free at the weekend, but for some reason, nobody's heard of it. About 4 people freaked out at a lan recently when I told em.

Ahhh!! I never heard about this. How does it work??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Try ringing NTL :)
    1800 321 321

so few people know about it.
    Use NTL and IOL's new service and we're pretty much flat-rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭jmcc

Eh!? have you not notice how NTL ESAT Chorus Neglecting Dublin Lately? ;)

NTL don't seem to have the motivation or the money to do anything.

ESAT and Eircom seem to have split the country down the middle with Eircom taking the East coast and Esat taking the West.

Chorus can only go where its franchise allows it to.

The killer argument is: How much better would things have been if there was a nation wide implementation of even a flat-rate internet access scheme?

You cannot have an online community if it costs the community too much to be online!

Regards...jmcc
    [Also from Waterford]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

as i said in the other thread...i have learned my lesson

i will believe it when they install-- anything else is BS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, fair point. Both. But my point was that a wireless service provider couldn't possibly roll out nationally without a multi-billion euro investment. It would mean carpet-bombing Ireland with 802.11 cells, and although that was certainly Braxton's intention when I talked to him, he didn't mean overnight. 802.11 is a gradual rollout, just like DSL. And has been demonstrated in the UK, the push for coverage will ultimately come from consumers, particularly when urban areas start reaching saturation. If consumers take my advice - which of course they won't - they will start getting organised, and start getting to know the people in their areas /now/.

adam

Personaly if we see nothing potential by Aug 31st then its gonna be a loooong wait.. probably another Chorus. :(

Or a genesis europe :0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ISTR that Genesis only lied to Cork people, not half the country. That is almost forgiveavble.

See

Here where promises and lies were being discussed WRT Cork 18 months ago.

The usual suspect , Chorus, is up dere wit the besht o dem.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by dahamsta
    But my point was that a wireless service provider couldn't possibly roll out nationally without a multi-billion euro investment. It would mean carpet-bombing Ireland with 802.11 cells, and although that was certainly Braxton's intention when I talked to him, he didn't mean overnight. 802.11 is a gradual rollout, just like DSL.

It while Braxton's scheme sounds nice, I am not sure that it is feasible in the short term. It may well have patchy coverage intitially. MMDS was not 100% successful in Ireland due to the terrain and the fact that opposing distribution methods were in place.

Braxton's hybrid WiFi solution faces the same problems as MMDS did. It has to deal with the topography of Ireland and it has to deal with the probability of cheaper and less complex (for the user) methods hitting the market. Much as I'd like to see WiFi solutions saturating the market, the embedded market will always be a major threat to such saturation.

Regards...jmcc

Originally posted by RFHost

Ahhh!! I never heard about this. How does it work??

I'd imagine ntl.ie would tell you more. Or you could call them, and hang on the line an hour or two while you Q.

Advertisement