Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem disconnects at will!

Options
  • 29-07-2002 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I have an internal Motorola SM56 modem and it disconnects whenever it feels like it. Sometimes it will stay connected for a hours and then disconnects, other times it will disconnect within a minute of getting connected, it's really pissing me off! In the status box it will go from 51,000 and then go down to 28,800 then it will say "negotiating a connection" and sometimes it might stay connected, but most times it will then disconnect after it says this in the device status box. I have tried updating the drivers but it's still doing the same crap. Any ideas of what I can do other that pulling the bastard out of my PC and throwing it out the nearest window. Any help is greatly appreciated!

mfield.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm assuming your ISP is either Eircom.net or Oceanfree. Connect to a decent ISP and you shouldn't have this problem. If you connect sometimes at 51Kbps then it's probably not a problem with your line or your modem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

I'm on Ireland On Line. I dial the 1891 number. I never had this problem before only when i upgraded my OS form 95 to ME!

mfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by mfield
    I'm on Ireland On Line. I dial the 1891 number. I never had this problem before only when i upgraded my OS form 95 to ME!

Oh....ugh....that could be the problem too. ME sucks, plain and simple. If you can afford it, go back to 98SE or forward to 2k or XP. It could also still be the ISP, but seeng as you're paying a subscription, there's not much you can do about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Have you swapped modem cables? Do you have the cable connected directly to your phoneline? (i.e. no splitters etc.).
    Is the phoneline itself ok? (no noise when you make a phonecall)
    Those modems can be alot of trouble, you could try a string like *mm12. That will slow the connection a bit, but it might make it more stable.
    Out of interest, when you upgraded to ME, did you reformat or install it as an upgrade over the 95 install? This can cause all sorts of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

I uninstalled 95 and installed the full version of ME. I did change the cable running from the Modem to the phone connection which is a good 10 ft. away! When I had the modem running on 95 I never had this problem though!

mfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

er slightly off-topic but has anyone else been having trouble with UTVs service in the last week? They've dropped me a few times lately....

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I seem to have the same problems with Elive on occasion (same modem too), with the speed fluctuations, but usually it's fairly decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 =BoA=Raider

Does anyone know where i can find all the correct dial up properties for IOL, Indigo & Eircom.net?

In the past two weeks I also keep getting dropped, or not even connecting in the 1st place. Nothing in my systems has changed (modem etc..). I hardly think I've the wrong dial up properties for all the ISPs I use but any help would be appreciated......thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 =BoA=Raider

I probably shouldn't have posted that 1st message as I the past 5min a ran a few tests.

I think the problem was due to a faulty phone socket, but I'm not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Did You But that modem from Dixons Per chance?

I Have a friend who warned me against Motorola Modems. I dont really know how strong his argument was.

Also, winME is really not worth the hassle. It doesnt like my modem either. Always disconnects when it feels like it (Although I Think it may be a server side disconnect?), and if my PC Crashes when online, the bastard wont respond, so I End up having to remove it in control panel, shut down and then power back on after 10 seconds to detect it again. Its really annoying :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

this is a pretty long shot, but it could be virus related.
    i worked in a computer shop last year, and someone brought their pc back with the same problem as you.
    try updating you virus definition files

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I use to have a problem like that on my old pc , it turned out it was my scanner that was disconnecting me. Do you have a web cam , scanner , printer etc ? If you update your windows it should be ok or try plugging out the scanner etc

Advertisement