Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Quotes?

Options
  • 29-07-2002 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Once an insurance quote refernce number is giving is that legally binding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i'm not an expert on insurance but my guess is no its not legally binding. it is just a quote after all. when all the paper work is being filled out in the end the company may decide you are in a slightly higher risk category than previously taught. they may wish to then alter your insurance by €xx.xx

from previous experience with my fathers business, when he shops around for motor insurance he can usually bring down the price quoted because he mentions that a different company will insurance for a certain amount less.

doubt if anything is legally binding until it is actually signed.

i could be talking a load of crap

thats my 2 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

the insurance company have now decided that they wont insure me and i am after buying a car and now im going to have to sell it cos i cant get another insurance quote because im too young

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

could you use that insurance quote as proof to other insurance companies that you have been quoted by an insurance company before. maybe then they might reconsider. and give you a quote based on the older quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It's your legal right to be insured.
    I believe there is a rule about if 5 companys won't insure you the first will have to (correct?)
    Otherwise you are a victim of discrimination !

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I believe a detailed quote is valid for 30 days. Detailed as in you have provided all the relevant info, of couse if anything changes then you will have to be re-quoted (much like if you change address etc during your insurance term and it ups your bill).

On a side note, I heard on the radio that the Insurance Association is creating a new quoting system that makes the pricing between different quotes more transparent. The companies will have to notify you at least 10 days before insurance is up with a detailed breakdown of what extras/cost (windscreen/NCB cover/breakdown assist etc) that are included in your current quote. This should make shopping around for equivalent cover a lot less hit and miss.

- Spunj

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Insurance quote ref numbers are NOT legally binding.The only legally binding insurance quote is one which you receive in writing hence Quinn Directs policy of not sending out written quotations to their potential "customers".
    By the way D is it Quinn Direct that you are dealing with??
    I had the same problem with a quote changing by about 20% in the space of 3 hours.From £2100 up to £2600 last year.
    I argued with them about but was told that legally I dont have a leg to stand on even though I was told that the quote was valid for thirty days once I had the ref number.I had asked for it in writing but was also told that Quinn direct do not send out quotes in writing.
    Pack of ****wits.
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

when i got my first insurance , they gave me the quote so i got the insurance ,,,,,,anyway 5 days later a letter arrives telling me they made a mistake and that i owed them 400 pounds more ..........................................it was true they had made a mistake they insured me for a 50cc but me bike war a 80 cc , yada yada , moral of the story being i said they could whistle for it , of course all i had were a cover note and no actual cert , but i wad`nt taking this lying down , i got straight onto the insurance ombudsman , who sorted it and they had to insure me for the original quote ....................i know there two different situations , but i reckon you could get some good advice and help from the insurance ombudsman who can be found in the yellow pages and the service was completely free 2 years ago , so i reckon it still is now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well any insurance system I have ever written it has been that rates apply for 30 days after they where given. I dont think its anything legally binding though. I dont see how you bought a car with no insurance though as you are meant to have thge car insured as you drive it off the forecourt....

What age are you any way?

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭D-!

actually we havent got the car yet its paid for but we cant collect it until we get it insured. They decided that they wouldnt indure my partnerr because of his job but they had no problem before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ok thats two reasons you have given for not getting insurance your age and your partners job. Which is the reason?

If your partners job is the reason buy it and insure it under your name and leave him off as that will be cheaper anyway. To be honest there are not that many professions where you will get refused insurance due to there nature. What you might have to do depending on his job is get commerical insurance which can be very dear.

If you want send me you and your partners ages/gender/jobs/make model and litre and year of car in either a PM or here and I'll see what your problem is. If you send me the details in PM they will not be disclosed to anyone.

kayos

• Advertisement
Advertisement