Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indo: Process to replace ODTR begins

Options
  • 29-07-2002 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭

The new commission will be responsible for the regulation and licensing of the electronic communications sector, encompassing both telecommunications and broadcasting transmission systems and the regulation of the postal sector.

The advertisement seeking the recruitment of two new commissioners appeared in national newspapers.
    Full Story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

The advertisement seeking the recruitment of two new commissioners appeared in national newspapers.

Perhaps someone from IOFFL should apply for a job on this new commission. At least that way we'd have an impartial commissioner who knew their $hit and wouldn't be bribed by Eircom (or, at least, one would hope so!) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

two new commissioners

It was confirmed in today's Irish Times that Etain Doyle will remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

Telecommunications (Regulation) Act 2002, Pt. 2 S.15 subsection (5)(a):
    ...the person who, immediately before the establishment day, was the Director, shall be deemed to be appointed as a Commissioner upon that day and shall... stand apponted on the same terms and conditions on which she was previously retained.

So basically, under the new Comms Bill, Etian Doyle was going to get a seat on the new commission anyway.

Nice to see that the politicians are still looking after one another:

Mary O' Rourke whispering to Doyle: "Don't worry Etian, I'll make sure I slip in something somewhere in the Bill to ensure you'll still have a job."

Etain: "Cheers Mary. Here's a little something for yourself." Slips her a big, thick, brown envelope.

Christ, this stuff really pisses me off! Corrupt ba$tards! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Mary O' Rourke whispering to Doyle: "Don't worry Etian, I'll make sure I slip in something somewhere in the Bill to ensure you'll still have a job."

Etain: "Cheers Mary. Here's a little something for yourself." Slips her a big, thick, brown envelope.
    Aidan, would you like to have people making completely unfounded, slanderist accussations about you in a public forum - discrediting your integrity and honesty?

• Advertisement

Oh come on nahdoic, don't be so naive. We all know that strings were pulled somewhere so Etain could remain on as part of the commission.

They advertised for two commissioners for the new three seat commission in the papers. They should have advertised for three and if Etain wanted to be part of the commission she should have had to go through the same application, evaluation and interview process that the other two candidates will have to go through.

The fact that she gets a seat automatically is just not right, in my opinion. That fact that she automatically gets that seat despite her previous poor performance as the Director of Telecoms Regulation is even more damning evidence that strings were pulled because if she was to be evaluated properly it would be quickly seen that she would not be suitable for the job. She has no right to just waltz in and take a seat at the commission without going through the same application process as the other candidates.

Okay, I'll admit that it probably didn't happen in quite the way I suggested in my previous post but somebody must have whispered in someone's ear somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I wonder out of the old ODTR or the new commision which one would be better suited to evading the new laws being brought in by the EU.Could it be that the new commision is being set up in advance of the EU directives simply so the Irish goverment can use even more sh1tcanery to avoid having to do what brussles tells them too, i.e give us all a fair shake of the stick in at least one area in this country, telecomunications ?.

Stone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The perception already exists that this country is one of the most corrupt in the EU. What we need is to have scenes similiar to the the arrest of the Rigas in the US recently where for example some of the Ansbacher names would be publicly taken away in handcuffs. It seems anyone can do anything if they have the right mates.

Some foreigners I talk to believe that Irish people are very friendly and easy to get on with but that we have very low self esteem and consequently put up with very low standards in goods and services. The whole ADSL and FRIACO saga is just one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Oh come on nahdoic, don't be so naive. We all know that strings were pulled somewhere so Etain could remain on as part of the commission.

Okay, I'll admit that it probably didn't happen in quite the way I suggested in my previous post but somebody must have whispered in someone's ear somewhere.
    Is it wrong for a human being to look for job security when they are asked to start working in a new unknown area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It seems that seeing as Etain invented regulation here then her services are required for another while as the commision gets up and running. To do otherwise would be lunacy apart from being a gross and undeserved insult to Etain.

I have not applied for one of the jobs but would fancy being called 'Mr Commissioner' for a while @ €100k a year.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Muck
    I have not applied for one of the jobs but would fancy being called 'Mr Commissioner' for a while @ €100k a year.
    Go for it. If you have knowledge of regulatory and industry issues, why not?

Advertisement