Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-filling ink-jet cartridges

• 29-07-2002 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Howzit,

Guys, may I pose a query of a non-tech nature please?

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried D.I.Y re-filling of ink-jet cartridges.

The cost of these things is crucifying me..... 20 euros upwards for a single cartridge. Years ago I used to re-ink the tape of my old dot matrix printer, and I'm hoping maybe there is a similar cost-cutting exercise I could perform with my empty cartridges. Maybe by injecting with a syringe, etc. Anybody try this?

Any help in this matter would be genuinely appreciated.

Regards,
    Jack.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

yeah you can get a standard refill kit.. available in dixons/currys, basically you knock a whole in the cartridge, stick the syringe in and plug it back up.... make sure you match your printers cartridge colours though (some have varying ideas of rgb).

i've heard ppl have had varying success with them, although the one or two ppl i've talked to who have used them just refill the black cartridge.

personally i wouldn't put them near my printer, but i get hp cartridges for free anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The downside being, using these inks invalidates your warranty.
    Some of them clog the printhead, so if you have an inkjet like a xerox that uses one printhead separate to the cartridges, you're ****ed if it gets irreperably blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

I have used the syringe method before on HP black cartridges. It works OK but you need to reseal the hole properly or the ink leaks out the bottom. Also since your a reusing the print head it deteriorates so I have never refilled a cartridge more than once.

I have seen this thing advertised Don't know much about it or if you can get one in Ireland but if it does what it says it would be much better than the syringe method...

You can also get remanufactured catridges which are proably a safer bet. Don't know if these affect the warranty - probably do.

If its a HP printer you don't have to worry about clogging as you get a new print head with every new cartridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Many. many thanks to all three of yiz for your advice on this matter....... I really do mean that. I'm gonna try the re-fill package you mentioned, Kali. I didn't know of such an item. No Dixons/Currys in Cork but I'll shop around and enquire.

Fact is, it's really only the black ink cartridge that I need to re-fill so the comments you made are encouraging.

Eth0_ I've taken on board your remarks re damaging the print-head. However, the price of new cartridges make a set of four just a little less than a new printer. New printers can be got for around 100 yoyos so I'm inclined to take a chance with f'ing up the print-head. It's mad when you can get a new printer (including 4 cartridges) for little more than than 4 new cartridges on their own!

Marauder, the Amazon re-inker looks the way to go but unfortunately it's out of stock on this site. I'll be watching out for it tho'.

Again, many tanx to y'all. I'll keep ya up-dated on how it works out, if that's okay.
    Respect,
    J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have some Epson printers and have no ink problems. I use www.mx2.org

There I get 3 color, 3 black cartridges for my Epson 460 including postage for £20 sterling. And yes they are every bit as good quality and also last just as long. I should know I go through a set every week and get the same usage as I did with the official Epson stuff.

They are also pretty cheap for HP and Lexmark I think. Worth a look anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've only tried it a few times and generally found it to be a disappointment - though if you're only refilling a black cartridge the results may be far better.

There are enough cheap places to get cartridges now that I usually just get compatibles from one of those places - found choicestationery.com generally good, though there are other places like MX2 (if they have what you're looking for), 7dayshop, atlanticink and ukinkjet (though I thought the latter were gangsters myself - they don't answer emails and sent me the wrong order out twice - I'm now going through fun with my CC company getting the money back)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

It's a nice printer and very cheap(£85.99 from www.jungle), but....

Was checking out this new Epson PHOTO 810 printer today and guess what......... the cartridges have a built-in chip that monitors the ink levels. This means that you cannot re-fill the cartridge or use a cheapo compatible cartridge.
    Maybe this is the future for all printers....... the manufacturers selling printers at below cost but locking you into their overpriced, own-brand cartridges. It's a bit like the phone-co's selling you a subsidised mobile knowing that they can screw you on the call charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

From MX2.org

NEW C-T027401 Colour

NEW PRINT-RITE Compatible Epson T027401
    5 Colour Cartridge.
    EPSON Stylus Photo 810/820.

MX2 Price : £6.99

Go ahead and buy yer printer mate for about 35 Euro including postage you will have 3 color cartridges. It costs more than that for one over here, and I can vouch for how good they are, use them all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

afaik you can get kits for bypassing the chips in the cartridges. I seem to recall seeing such a thing in maplins?

Originally posted by alastair
    afaik you can get kits for bypassing the chips in the cartridges. I seem to recall seeing such a thing in maplins?

Works afaik as long as you refill before actually emptying the cartridge totally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I've just tried JetTec refill kits, color/black. as an experiment I suppose

The black worked - remove the top and squirt in some ink :) no problem. There seemed to be a wad of sponge in there enclosed in cotton netting.
    But the Color! what junk
    printer is a Lexmark Z34. The color cartridge had 6 filler holes(2 per color) on the top. Instructions with the kit indicated the colors for each hole. So far So good. (the instruction leaflet could not be wrong :)
    Fill the first one , Oh dear some ink spilled out of the filler hole, -quickly wipe it away ;) Good. Didn't let it flow into the other holes..
    Do this for each color. I'm becoming suspicious... I fill through the Cyan hole, It overflows out the Magenta hole ? How could that be ?

Anyway the upshot is that all the colors are now coming out incorrectly. Seems like they mixed internally in the cartridge . How? Surely the filler hole or each color should fill into separate compartments? Seems not !

Has anybody opened a Lexmark color cartridge to see what's inside ? I now suspect it has 3 wads of sponge each encased in a leakproof sac, attached the the head at the bottom, BUT open at the TOP ? Overfill at your peril - cos it will now mix with the other colors
    Nah! that can't be right. I must have done something stupid
    Funny thing is. I know someebody who had the same experience, and I assumed he just didn't do it right

:confused::confused::confused::o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

wow, your dragging up the past with that post

Originally posted by Anchises
    Do this for each color. I'm becoming suspicious... I fill through the Cyan hole, It overflows out the Magenta hole ? How could that be ?
    I can't remember the facts but I do remember a mention in PCW or PCplus about a year back where they mentioned that some manufacturers were pulling this trick, presumably to make refilling more difficult.

Advertisement