Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap Broadband (exists and works, wow!)

Options
  • 30-07-2002 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Have heard nothing in here about Leap for a month or so.

Have they any plans to expand?

How happy are their customers?

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

misleading topic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    misleading topic ?

I hope not. I would like to know the answer to Muck's question also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Yo!

I wished to praise the living for a change instead of joining in (or starting) the bEEtching about vapourware operators. Thought it worthy of its own thread too.

Leap exist and work in central Dublin only AFAIK

I would simply like to hear how things are going because at least one of their customers is a regular here....as is one of the founders.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Coyler

I've been on it now for about a month at 512kb/s. No complaints whatsoever. Infact the service I've got was and still is exceptional. They had it installed in 4 days of the first phone call.
    The ping to Irish servers are'nt great because there tied into the NTL (I Think) network which is U.K. based. However I do get a solid ping of 40ms to barrysworld, Jolt, Blueyonder et al and a constant 60Kb download. And there's no issue with caps or the amount of computers you share the connection with( A SMC Barricade 7004ABR2 routing to 2 PCs and 2 Macs if anyone is interested).
    As far as there coverage goes(I'm out by Milltown by the way), when I last talked with them they seemed to be expanding relatively quickly so it might be worth a call. There certainly knowledgeble and will be able to answer any of your questions. As for me, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Business 3 model.

Coyler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....could be sorted out with an inex connection anyway. In time no doubt.

Isn't it odd to hear a happy Irish broadband customer posting in here ....although there is at least one in Limerick too.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

errr, i thought they were still trialling that product?

If not, how much is it per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Prices here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well what is this with (( a month...BEN DUNNE HAS A LOT TO ANSWER FOR I SWEAR!!!

well i suppose its better then eircom as their is no cap (if iread it right).

yet another small step on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

We use leap for our internet in work, i asked our tech contact on the posibilities of home use and she said they are doing tests in the next few weeks and if sucsessful they hope to offer broadband wo all of dublin.

Lets wait and see !!!

Leap gets my thumbs up anyway.

They are a live service, with a lot of advantages over eircoms product. No cap, Fixed IP and best of all, the speeds quoted on the website are Symmetrical ! As a result, leaps entry offering has a higher upload speed than any of eircoms DSL solutions.

According to leap, they hope to have the whole of south dublin covered by the end of the summer. That would be good news indeed seeing as that is half of eircoms current target market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dustaz
    According to leap, they hope to have the whole of south dublin covered by the end of the summer. That would be good news indeed seeing as that is half of eircoms current target market.

well woopiee .... :mad:

another broadband company completely ignores north dublin

Give it time.

Or do you think theres a big 'ignore the knackers on DNS' broadband conspiracy too? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ntl Peer into INEX http://www.inex.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Originally posted by ando

well woopiee .... :mad:

another broadband company completely ignores north dublin

I have to agree >.< ridiculous bias

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

what's the story with leap? I couldn't find info on a quick look at their site about what sort of broadband offering it is (ie, cable.. dsl).. anyone know? if its wireless, how reliable etc is this? what hardware costs are involved?

pricewise, its on the same level as Eircom's dsl offering (albeit with no cap) ... :(

can we not just join the UK and get decent competitive pricing then? :P

As far as the technology goes it's a variant on the 802.11 standard and its certainly seems to be reliable. Haven't had any downtime and there doesn't seem to be any serious packet loss while gaming. As far as coverage goes I seem to remember that they had coverage as far as Drumcondra, but like I said in my previous post you may want to call them. At least when I called them I got most helpful and savvy operator who bent over backwards to sort me out.
    Oh and by the way I don't work for them. I know I'm gushing but I can't help but walk about with a permanent smile at the moment. Sorry :D

Sorry forgot to add that the setup charges are roughly €100. Can't find the bill at the mo but its around that region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Originally posted by Coyler
    Sorry forgot to add that the setup charges are roughly €100. Can't find the bill at the mo but its around that region.
    That's not too expensive, does that cover the necessary equipment+installation?
    I'm going to email them now and ask them if they've got coverage in my area.

Actually, I live in an apartment block, so I don't know if I'll be able to get a wireless connection from inside my apartment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

LoT - is that robin?

I might also email them... despite a slight feeling that wireless isn't as good - eg higher pings for online gaming, despite downloads being as good.

also as I said above their pricing is no better than eircon's...

These are the ping you get to barrysworld. Now if I can only get good at the gaming side of things I'd be flying. Oh and yes the setup charges includes the installation+equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by LoBo
    I might also email them... despite a slight feeling that wireless isn't as good - eg higher pings for online gaming, despite downloads being as good.
    It's only satellite wireless that has the higher pings. I think I read that Eircom's i-stream uses a DSL implementation that allows greater distance from the exchange, at the expense of higher latency.
    So this product will probably give you better pings than i-stream.

Meh is correct, You should get a better ping with leap than with eircoms dsl.

Lobo, read up to the previous posts for the other advantages over i-stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by crawler
    ntl Peer into INEX http://www.inex.ie/

They do, but that doesn't necessarily mean all their local traffic goes down it. None of their cable modem customers use the INEX peering - all their traffic goes through the UK.

Also with Via Networks - if you do a traceroute to a Via IP from Oceanfree/Eircom.net the traceroute will tell you that it's going through the INEX, but it's only going through the INEX one way - it comes back through the UK.

Originally posted by LoBo
    LoT - is that robin?

also as I said above their pricing is no better than eircon's...
    Yeah Colm, it's me :)
    I'm really busy at work here.... *cough*
    (Testing LotR on the XBox... waiting for a new build...)

Anyway, with the new wireless companies that seem to appearing around the place, I hope they introduce competitive prices...

I have a question: How much bandwidth is shared between how many people at an exchange? It would be scary to think that if a couple of users were running Kazaa 24/7 I would get crappy pings all day long...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Is SOHO the residential product or whats it mean?:confused:
    If it is the residential product, how hard is it to set up so that everyone (3 in this case) on a home network could get access to the internet over this boradband connection?

soho = Small Office/Home Office
    Yeh, that would be the residential one.

It wouldnt be hard to share the connection. Not sure if its allowed under the terms and conditions.

LoT: Since there is no copper lines involved, theres no exchanges involved. There are potentially contention issues however. When i asked the guy on the phone he said there was virtually no contention problems due to the fact its still quite a small operatation.

Maybe someone else knows how bad contention effects can be on a wireless network compared to dsl and cable networks?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It is allowed (I should know, I'm using it to type this).

Its latency to Barrysworld is a rock solid 50-60 ping (with my leet q3 config!)

They have no problem with you sharing it amongst flatmates (in fact they helped us do that) and its completely unmetered (otherwise I'd be BROKE now haha).

I did post all this here before... sheesh :)
    (cf: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55432)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

Why haven't i heard of these before:mad:
    but now I know and will find out tomorrow if its available in my area.
    ***com get nothin off me anymore...hopefully :confused:
    screw ***com, who would want to stay with those fecks after what they have made us pay for 1980's connections

They seem to be covering South dublin atm (near the centre)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dustaz
    They seem to be covering South dublin atm (near the centre)
    Damn, I wish I lived closer to the centre... :(
    I got this reply from Leap today:
    Time: 31-7-2002-4:12
    : Right now we do not have coverage in Kiliney. We may have coverage there in 6-8 weeks as we are testing a new technology that would give us greater reach. We will be making announcements as and when we are servicing your area.

Best regards,

Charlie.

Thank you,

LEAP Sales Department
    It took them 2 hours to reply, which is pretty good...
    I wonder what this "new technology" is that he mentions.... could be promising I guess

Advertisement