Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just got i-stream bill

Options
  • 30-07-2002 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭

Right, can anyone help me figure out what I'm being charged for:

I was on the dsl trial, and at the end of the trial period got my 'do you want to take up the service commercially' letter. I'd been using a four port modem during the trial, and was offered the 'multi' package. I requested the 'enhanced' package via email, but never got any contract etc as confirmation.

I got my first bill this morning, which comprises:

Rental: eircom i-stream multi 1 Aug to 30 Sept 02 1 @ 278.00

Order activity: Part period rental 30 May to 31 Jul 02 287.06

So a total of 565.06 plus vat

Am I right in thinking that the 287.06 is a charge for exceeding the 'multi' cap? (a package I didn't request). Or is it something else I'm missing?

any pointers? I don't want to phone eircom until I'm clear on what this is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'd imagine it's as they say.. Part period rental 30 May to 31 Jul 02 287.06. The product was launched @ 14th May. This was to cover that period I'd guess, unless you were billed for it before..?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ah yes! The bleedin' obvious.

That would make sense all right.

Ta Mr. Mugger

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Does this phone bill not scare the pants off the rest of you? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

And me thinking that isdn was daylight
    robbery they out done themselfs with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

was there anything on it about usage at all?

or even a hint about when it will be implemented?

only, I think I may have exceeded the solo cap by a large margin over the weekend................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Legbreaker
    Does this phone bill not scare the pants off the rest of you? :eek:

Scares more than the pants off me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

took the words right out of my mouth scept...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

That's shockin' is that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got mine today
    €980 last 2 months ,next 2 months and install.
    :(
    kdja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

My god what a bill are you still happy after paying that ?
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i think my trusty :rolleyes: 56k modem will have to do me back home for a long time yet. no way could i afford that money. way too much.
    thank jebus for a fast connection in work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

jesus, whoa! WTF! on me third pair of underpants..

THAT
    IS
    A
    LOT
    OF
    M O N E Y

fotn know about the rest of u , but is a tad dearer then the 25.99 per month in the UK...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's nearly the price of my mortgage. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭d0gb0y

lol i just got a 370 phonebill for my 56k (a lot of daytime use) clocked up 440 hours...
    theres no way this can go on anymore. i've been payin these kinda billz for 4 years now although they weren't as bad until about a year ago...
    i'm hopin that leap are doing my area(they r very close), then its f**k u ***com as I don't use the phone and I will try and get everyone i can to move to them....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

CHRIST ON A F**KING BIKE!!!!!! :eek:

Those are ridiculous numbers. €565 for one person, nearly a GRAND for another. Sweet Jesus, Mary and Joseph!

I feel sorry for you guys, I really do. Either ye're just plain mad or must be fecking millionaires to be able to afford that kind of money and, if ye are the latter, any chance of a loan? :D

Seriously though, if ye have to continue paying out that kind of money to Eircom ye won't be millionaires for much longer, I can tell you.

Once again, all I can say to those figures are CHRIST ON A F**KING BIKE!!!!!! I'm in shock, complete and utter shock. :eek: God help ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Yeah this time my bill was €341 a good bill compared to €511 4 months ago.

There are 4 users of the internet in my house, bills of between €300 and €500 are not uncommon.

I rang leap last week and will be contacted as soon as it's available. I don't think eircom is too worried about wireless just yet. The advertising that Eircom can afford compared to thier competitors is sickening. Almost every other ad break has an eircom ad.

Word of mouth is Eircoms worst enemy, sad but true :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well Merc, the fact that it's capped and you're charged per meg once you exceed the cap is probably a major factor in it. I reckon that it would be pretty easy to exceed the cap and, once you do, that's when the $hit really starts to get out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Has any i-Stream user seen a Usage charge on a bill? I know it's early days for the service, but I don't want to be hit with a savage bill, now that I'm over the initial install hump (€737 incl Install, Modem, initial rent to date, next two months). There was no usage charge.

Will Eircom give any warning when I'm approaching a usage threshold? Or will they just be kind and advise me to upgrade to the No Limits Extended service soon? (Where did I come across the phrase No Limits before?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

HOLY RIP-OFF BASTARDS BATMAN.... did you apply for the completely taking the piss expensive option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ehm, why is everyone so suprised?

Those of us on I-stream were fully expecting the bills to be what they are. The prices are on the webpage for all to see. They have been for months.
    Better than getting a 500 bill for 56k:/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Cost of i-stream:

Yes, it's an absolute rip-off. no argument there. I just pray some competition in the market will force the price down over the next year or so.

I'm prepared to pay it though because I need a 24/7 connection that can handle big files without fuss. I work for myself as a graphic designer, and need to be at the end of an email without any delays, and to shunt around big files on a regular basis. I pay my bill though my company, so VAT is deducted from the equation.
    I'd be paying more with my kind of usage on ISDN (not that I'd consider it). A leased line is beyong my means, so dsl is the only game in town for me for the moment.

I do begrudge eircom lumping 4 months rental into one bill. I could have paid the first two months on my last bill. Since they didn't charge me then, the lovely fantasy of 'slippng through the net' entered my mind, and I had visions of free broadband for a few more months. Ah well.

I'll need to clarify what the story is with 'multi' v 'enhanced'. I'd have no problems going over 6 gig based on my typical usage over the past 6 months or so, and I did ask for the 'enhanced' package. Until some evidence of a cap appears though, I'm not worrying too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

what happened to the 90 or 109 euro per month or whatever fecking figure it was, and the 3 gig download..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Still waiting for my bill... :( Strange thing is....I have 1 meg down 500kbs up on solo??? not that I'm complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The 500k up 1Meg down figures?
    I wouldn't belive this until I see a steady download at 100K/sec of a large file. You can't go by the figures that flash up in internet explorer either, you'd wanna time it for a fixed length file.
    I'm on solo too and the microsoft thingy sometimes goes up above 100K/sec but that is probably just the way microsoft is estimating the current download speed. Once it gets into a file it usually averages out at around 50-60K/sec.
    You'd have to use FTP to check out the upload speed. Or a http post perhaps. Same thing here also time it, should come out at 10-16K/second on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i get 100k consistantly on the 1meg connection. Havent paid too much attention to the upload, but it certainly seems faster than the 128 on solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Better than getting a 500 bill for 56k:/

In a nutshell ,thats the bottom line.

Couldnt have said it better meslf.

Its actually cheaper for me on DSL that it was on Subbie.
    I knew it would be that (cept the pre pay thing ).

No mention of usage as we cant tell ourselves what we dloading.

So assume when that dsl reports website is up and running and they inform us of it then we get charged.

19gb last month btw .

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

This is always the big problem in this country - people expect to be ripped off, so we accept it. As esat have proved, competition doesn't solve the problem - you've just got 2 greedy ****s ripping you off instead of one. Will eircom drop their prices in the next year? will they ****. They could have 20 competitors, they'd still charge the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Slutmonkey57b
    This is always the big problem in this country - people expect to be ripped off, so we accept it. As esat have proved, competition doesn't solve the problem - you've just got 2 greedy ****s ripping you off instead of one. Will eircom drop their prices in the next year? will they ****. They could have 20 competitors, they'd still charge the same amount.

Exactly - it's just expected now. The same situation with insurance. Blooming ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Just a quick question : Is everyone on this thread who has I-stream service paying for it as a professional necessity because I can't understand why any private user would pay that much for the internet - even at 100kb/s?

Advertisement