Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am going to be laid off in three months(Gateway)

• 08-08-2001 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭

I am a quick study, any recomendations as to professional exams that are valuable in the tech job market?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

First of all - I'm really sorry to hear about the job mate - been there done that (but I had 4 hours as opposed to 3 months curlydav.gif).

Try blag yourself a couple of MCSE's - they can be tough (never done 'em, just what I've heard from people I know).

Do you have any college qualifications?

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Longfield:
    I am a quick study, any recomendations as to professional exams that are valuable in the tech job market?</font>

Good luck for getting that job mate.

I dunno what level you consider yourself, but the ECDL's are so easy, and are recognised as an entry level qualification to a helpdesk etc.

As said above by Kharn, the microsoft exams are very well thought of.

One exam is an MCP, if you complete all the exams in a course you become an MCSE.

I have doen 2000 professional(70210), and server(70215).
    If you've used it at home and you do all the brain dumps you should manage to pass profressional.
    If you have server experience, ditto.
    The 3rd exam for the MCSE track is Network infrastructure (70216) and you couldn't just pass it, without having read the book, done the labs, swotted the questions and a bit of luck too.

Also, try getting a few qualifications from Brainbench.com
    They have special offers like all the exams you can do in a year for X quid. (something like that.) And they posted me lovely certificates, but i think they charge for the certs now.
    With or without the certs, they look good on the cv, and will get you to the interview stage with a bit o' luck.

"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt unless you're on a team. Well I'm better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I …I can't compete with that stuff."
    -Moe Szyslak

[This message has been edited by Xterminator cause i couldn't spell for s***e (edited 09-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Xterminator (edited 09-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just to give the alternative to Windows: get some unix skills if you can, play around with linux & do some red hat or sun courses.

Al.

Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.

You really should you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

3 months left? You'd think that was plenty of time to find another job wouldn't you?

I've been looking for almost that long, having been laid off almost 2 months ago and having been given notice a month before that.

It ain't easy, and I'm still looking...

anybody looking for a very well experienced web designer with strong proficiency in HTML, DHTML, JavaScript, ASP, Graphic Design, WML, XML, CSS, CSS-P, etc. etc. ? didn't think so...

It's a rough ould world out there...

/me trundles off to yet another jobsearch site... (thank gawd I wasn't kicked off NoLimits- the bills I'd be running up doing this on-line job hunting would be totally mental...)

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Sorry to hear about the job, Longfield...

I'd seriously suggest you investigate getting Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA). The first exam is pretty easy from what I've seen and heard. (disclaimer: I don't work with Cisco gear myself and I've not taken the exam). There are a couple of test centres around Dublin, and it costs a couple of hundred quid to sit it (multiple choice questions)

Obviously, it depends on what you want to go into, but CCNA is generally seen as evidence that you're pretty safe to let loose around networks. wink.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for the kind words and good advise guys.
    I've had a little rummage around the exam cram books for win2k pro and server, and it looks promising, i've a pretty good knowledge of most of the stuff there, so thats going to be a go'er.
    Regarding CCNA exams, i've never even thought about them though i've heard of them, certainly something thats woth looking into also.
    I've also got a BBS (Bachelor of Business Studies) that i somehow scraped through in college (many overnighters cramming before exams smile.gif ) though i'm not to sure what use thats going to be.
    Things are looking up in work too, aparently the call centre "information line" has been swamped with recruitment agencies and companies looking to recruit staff, apparently an in-house recruitment fair is going to happen sometime.
    So, at least for the tech staff, things aren't looking nearly as bleak as they did yesterday.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Sorry man...

Im kinda worried, will there be any jobs for me in a few years.

Me thinks that i will be going to america.

[ps]Hope you find a job soon.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chernobyl:
    Me thinks that i will be going to america.
    </font>
    And what makes you think things are any better there? If anything they are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

longfield, what part of gateway you work in?
    my last day was wednesday, what a fun filled day that was smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Narf

And the fun just gets better in the building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry to hear, man.

If you have been with Gateway more that a year or two, be careful about jumping ship too quickly. If you jump, you might not be entitled to your redundancy money - I don't know. But that said, if you have only been with them a short while and if the new job is good, take it.

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 10-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    3 months left? You'd think that was plenty of time to find another job wouldn't you?

I've been looking for almost that long, having been laid off almost 2 months ago and having been given notice a month before that.

It ain't easy, and I'm still looking...

anybody looking for a very well experienced web designer with strong proficiency in HTML, DHTML, JavaScript, ASP, Graphic Design, WML, XML, CSS, CSS-P, etc. etc. ? didn't think so...

It's a rough ould world out there...

/me trundles off to yet another jobsearch site... (thank gawd I wasn't kicked off NoLimits- the bills I'd be running up doing this on-line job hunting would be totally mental...)

</font>

google.com are lookin for software developers... just had a quick look but some of the requirements seem to match what u say u hav smile.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

WWW, the walls have ears and i've a big fat redundancy check on its way, i'm not sure if I should really say who I am or where I work in Gateway. Up till recently (wednesday) I talked to people in Uxbridge in a technical capacity is about all i'm prepared to say.
    Probably being overly cautious smile.gif

WWW, the walls have ears and i've a big fat redundancy check on its way, i'm not sure if I should really say who I am or where I work in Gateway. Up till recently (wednesday) I talked to people in Uxbridge in a technical capacity is about all i'm prepared to say.
    </font>

fair enough, in thaty case you know exactly who i am. you and narf. now that is annoying me!
    its like i actually really give a shi7 about it.
    i start my new job on monday smile.gif

</font>

by the way, if you are still interested in doin some certs, i have a few courses stored on \\desktopsupport.
    under docs i think there should be a few folders for thge a+, network+, server+ and all the mcse win2k core courses.
    now, am i not really nice?

Kewl, thanks WWM, will check that out tomorrow.

Thanks WWM, checked that out, can access the other shared folders, but docs aint allowed dammit!! (hint hint, mail me u/pass )
    What did you use visio for btw?

why do you ask about visio?
    are you using my old system or something?

i will not tell you my password. i assume that gateway still havent deleted my account, so i am probably still a domain admin.
    god knows what fun you would get up to if you had that!
    you will have to ask ronan harte to allow you access to it.

i really wish you would tell me who you are, or at least what department you are in

by the way, you say you talk to uxbridge. you on the helpdesk or something?

Advertisement