Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk your way into a course ?

Options
  • 30-07-2002 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if all these storys about begging your way into a course is a myth or not.

What I mean is lets say I screw up my leaving and dont have enough points to get into my course is it at all possible to goto the head of the course and beg to be let in. Showing previous work that I am capable of doing the course and promising that I will work very hard etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Just wondering if all these storys about begging your way into a course is a myth or not.

What I mean is lets say I screw up my leaving and dont have enough points to get into my course is it at all possible to goto the head of the course and beg to be let in.

You've got to be joking? If you screw up, you repeat, simple as that, the days of bribing/talking your way into a course are long gone. That's why we have the points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

looks like the nerves are setting :)
    results must be out soon
    You've got to be joking? If you screw up, you repeat, simple as that
    as eth0_ said, just repeat. whats another year if you get to do the course you want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Ok when I say screw up I mean fail maths I should be grand in everything else and I am dead set against repeating:(.

Ok my first choice is computer applications in DCU, lets say I dont get that because I fail maths. There is a FAS course on Computer applications as well (its programmings in case you didnt know:))

Anyway lets assume I do the FAS course and do well out of it. Do you think DCU would consider me the year after (next summer) at all or would I still need to repeat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

PLC courses and the like are often good ways to get into college rather than the typical leaving cert/points system method. You'd want to contact the college in question and see what their policy is though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I did complete muck in my leaving cert, only managing a measley 225 points. I just about passed pass maths and that was my main aim. I obviously didn't get any of the courses I wanted so I went down an alternative route. This was the route of the PLC. I went to Colaiste Ide in Finglas and did a Computing & IT course. Because it was something I has an interest in I came out top of the class and secured myself a place in Blanchardstown IT doing a national cert in computing. I got a distinction in my certificate and I am now going on to do the diploma.

Not bad for a guy who got 225 points eh ?? The Leaving cert is rubbish if you have no interest in the subjects.

Slaan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Ok when I say screw up I mean fail maths I should be grand in everything else and I am dead set against repeating:(.

Ok my first choice is computer applications in DCU, lets say I dont get that because I fail maths. There is a FAS course on Computer applications as well (its programmings in case you didnt know:))

Anyway lets assume I do the FAS course and do well out of it. Do you think DCU would consider me the year after (next summer) at all or would I still need to repeat ?

You'd need to ring DCU really, but just bear in mind that compapp in DCU is probably the most popular computer degree in the country, and also the fact that failing maths is going to look VERY bad if you want to do a course with so much maths. Even if you think you can program, if you do badly at maths in the degree you haven't a hope of passing.

You'd be better of doing a PLC rather than a FAS course as well, FAS courses aren't really geared for people to use as a springboard for further education, but PLC's are.

*Having just taken the initiative myself to go to www.dcu.ie and seen http://www.dcu.ie/ro/admissions/appstrans.html
    It doesn't look good for you, they'll only accept transfers from other degree courses or those who have a HETAC qualification (i.e, national cert/diploma)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you did fail maths my advice would be to do your FÁS course for the year but also repeat maths.
    If you pass it then that makes you elligible to enter the course provided you got the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

I blagged my way into the nci comp course (nc102) back in '98 I did a year in Dundalk rtc the year before but failed awfully (maybe cause I didn't bother going in) they (nci) even got me to do a lan admin sort of thing at the side looking after the pc's & helping the other first years & the pay for that was not too bad ...£8.50 an hour, I have to say my self it was the jammest thing I ever got then it was all plain sailing after that, got a decent job in 2000 looking after europe & asia servers etc for the company

all well that ends well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well I dont need to talk my way into a course :) Didnt fail anything!

Phoenix what was nci like ? I got a offer from there. I'm 10 points off the degree:( But got the cert. Hopefully round 2 will give me the degree.

Did you do the cert ? If so do you know if its easy to get into the degree program through that ? I dont want to goto college for a cert if I already have a degree offer on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

NCI is a great college I have noting bad to say at all, everyone is dead nice, its a small college so you get to know lots of people. & only 10mins from town...you can't go wrong...goin on to do a degree is fairly easy as its recognised as a good college, if you get the chance I recommand you take them up on the offer....you won't regret it! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement