Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom - The Truth about Routers vs. ADSL Modems?

Options
  • 30-07-2002 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to get i-stream enhanced (1Mbit/s, 256kbp/s, no cap). However, I don't want/need a router, just the ADSL modem.

The sales rep told me that they can't guarantee that I'll get the proper speeds for that package if I don't get the router. Is this true?

The router is a Zytel Prestige and the ADSL modem is a Alcatel Ethernet Speedtouch Home edition (I think).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

According to the website, it appears to support up to 8mbps. Obviously this is fast enough for the eircom adsl. They might possibly have a case that the modem could be slower through poor configuration/slow pc on behalf of the user, but based on hardware alone, it doesn't appear to be true.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

if your in south dublin, have a look at www.leap.ie before you sign up with eircom.

Id imagine the modem supports 1meg just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by Magic Monkey
    The sales rep told me that they can't guarantee that I'll get the proper speeds for that package if I don't get the router. Is this true?
    Routers don't speed a connection, they simply route packets. With a very high connection, a cheap router might be a bottleneck, however. Eircom's 'enhanced' ADSL is only a 1 Mb/sec connection and therefore a cheap router is all that is necessary.

If you just plan to connect one computer, then no router is required and therefore the issue of bottleneck does not arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

This would be a router/ADSL modem combo I would need, yes?

This would be a router/ADSL modem combo I would need, yes?
    If you need the functionality of a router and don't have the room for separate units, then yes.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I was thinking, if I got a 4-port 10/100 Mbps Hub, and plugged 3 Pc's and the ADSL modem into it, and set-up some ICS/Routing/NAT software on one machine , I could save myself from buying a router?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

That won't work. You will need to plug the adsl modem into a dual homed machine and plug the other port into the hub along with the rest of the pc's. Then it will work.
    You are best off getting a router/using a dedicated *nix box as the router.

Gav

The router is a Zytel Prestige and the ADSL modem is a Alcatel Ethernet Speedtouch Home edition (I think).
    How much are they charging for the Zytel Prestige?

Originally posted by Verb
    That won't work. You will need to plug the adsl modem into a dual homed machine and plug the other port into the hub along with the rest of the pc's. Then it will work.
    You are best off getting a router/using a dedicated *nix box as the router.
    Gav

Dual homed machine, you mean a Pc with 2 Ethernet network Cards? One for the ADSL modem, and one for the Hub?

Routers are too expensive/unnecessary. I intend to have a Linux box as a router, but it won't be dedicated. Is there any point for having it dedicated? Was going to run a web/ftp server on it as well, surely it can act as a web/ftp server AND do it's routing/firewall tasks concurrently?

@ SkepticOne - I think Router + Site Survey is €900, not sure...

@ SkepticOne - I think Router + Site Survey is €900, not sure...
    Wow! I suppose there's a lot of businesses who just want the thing installed and don't mind paying this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Wow! I suppose there's a lot of businesses who just want the thing installed and don't mind paying this.
    yeah. and they'd probably prefer to be able to go back to eircom when it breaks/doesn't work. and eircom don't use the excuse ... oh well you aren't using our hardware so it's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I have the Solo version of i-Stream, and the Alcatel Speed Touch Home modem. There was no real setup involved, and indeed any there was, I did it myself. With Windows XP Pro, the Plug'n'Play sorts everything out. I didn't even need drivers. I have reinstalled after a new disk and clean start, so it wasn't a fluke.

Fot those who wonder about the capabilities of the Alcatel box, I can advise that the manual (PDF on CD) shows two connection possibilities:

Straight pin-pin Cat5 cable from Alcatel to Ethernet card in one PC. This is the normal connection for a single PC.

Cross-Over Cat5 cable connection from Alcatel to Ethernet hub. Straight Cat5 connections from hub to multi-PCs.

I have not yet tested the multi to hub setup, and I will, but there is no real reason why it should not work in conjunction with NAT software. If anyone agrees, and has any suggestions as to software, I'll get started on finding a hub, and will report progress.

Advertisement