Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geforce 4 Ti4400 problem

• 30-07-2002 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

I just installed a Asus Geforce 4 Ti4400 and every now and again it just locks up the computer especialy when i am playing RTCW.my specs are:
    win xp pro
    384mb ram
    750mhz amd athlon
    some motherboard from a gateway 750 web select pc (about 2.5 years old)
    sound blaster live value

i taught it was a conflect with the sound card or it might not be compatable with the motherboard.i have tried a few drivers but they are all as bad.also when the computer crashes and i restart it it keeps crashing at start up and i get a few blue screens then after restarting it about 5 times it works again any sugestions lads???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

This may be a longshot, maybe its a conflict between webcam software and the ge4 gamma settings. open up netmeeting then try playing rtcw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

dont have a web cam any 1 else have any ideas???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

you seem to have done all the driver stuff etc. so how about this

Im on a cooling binge at the moment so here is a wild one....

Your system is overheating. Do you have (m)any case fans? That GF4 adds a lot of heat to your system that needs to be moved out of your case. When I play RTCW my proc temp jumps about 10C.

The reason it takes a while for your PC to restart is its cooling down! Remember when you power off your fans stop so your system actually gets hotter for a while before it cools. (I have some enermax temp sensors installed that are battery operated and work when the system is powered off so I know this is true)

I might be talking crap but its worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

www.viahardware.com

have a good article on Geforces locking up.

kdja

the overheating thing sounds like a good explanation only that i have the cover off my case and it is on its side with all removiable pannels removed.there are no case fans only on the proc, psu and cpu.i think its a motherboard compability problem.But i have had the pc running for the last 3 hours played an hour of RTCW and some other games and i have had no problems,thats real strange.
    kdja i cant seem 2 find the article could u give me the exact link plez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

*im an idiot gave you wrong page.

This is a great article and should be a sticky (asked the b4)

just go tru everything on it.

Fixes the washing machine when that breaks too :)

Kdja

thanx for the site it was really informative, but i think i fixed it [i hope] just took apart my computer cleaned out all the dirt even some in the pic slots then moved my lan card and sound card flashed my memory and it seems to be working fine.to test it i ran RTCW at the max graphics settings [really sweet] and played 4 a while,with 100fps i might add and no crash so i think its solved.I assume it was a IRQ conflict.thanx for all the help

Advertisement