Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I been thinking

Options
  • 30-07-2002 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Okey doke. I've been reading everything that you peeps have said bout this year's CTYI and I think they're killing the old spirit of it.
    1. Friday study. Just no.
    2. The place shouldnt be too strict. One thing you cannot do is to crush the individuality of the CTYIzen, and some of the good peeps of this board have said they thought that was happening.
    3. Bring back the Grafton Street trip. It's the best chance to see outside world people and eat some real food. (Nude, BT2.)
    4. I know its always been lights out 10.30, but they should rethink that one. My 9 year old sister doesnt go to bed that early, and if you're a daysleeper like I was by the start of CTYI 01 thats gonna be nasty for the first week.
    5. Allow some visiting. I visited this year (S1) and I had to make up some bull**** excuse to Adam to stay on campus.

I know I cant say some of this for certain as its based on hearsay but I think some changes need to be made for CTYI 03.

What do you think?
    Am I a semtimental nevermore who longs for the old days or do I speak the truth?
    Post now or forever hold your peace/piss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Quite true, still I did see quite a few people visiting, it was just something about not letting them come down to Res or into the rooms. However the 10.30 should be rethought as I stay up untill 1 or 2 am usually in summer. As for the strictness i have never had been so unfortunate to be caught so i'll hold my peace on that. Grafton street was due to a vote. Friday study was helpful but I think it wasn't really needed

Just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Cait

i don't think friday study is too bad.....actually i think it's better, because you still get to do something on friday night and there's saturday night as well.
    and they can't do anything about the strictness, it's not their fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

1. Let's see, with friday study we do nine and a half hours study a week. With the old system it was ten hours, and it's better just getting it all out of the way and having 48 hours devoid of any study. Which is a good thing.™

2. Jesus H. Christ. You can be perfectly individual without causing a disruption and / or breaking CTYI rules. Rules are there for your own good, believe it or not. There were NO occurances of students being disciplined unfairly and from what I saw, and I was in trouble once or twice with Feargal, there were no real punishments.

3. Personally, I prefer Blanchardstown but I guess this is just something that should be voted on or whatever.

4. Lights out at 10:30, yes it is a bit early but it wasn't that hard to circumvent if you had a room that didn't face the courtyard / quad. And even if you did, it's not that unreasonable to expect you to turn your lights out at 10:30. You were still able to talk and listen to music as long as it was pretty quiet, and if you were that desperate to read a torch under the sheets works fine.

5. If you visit you are allowed anywhere on campus except for inside classrooms CTYI are using, inside the cafeteria during CTYI times (I think) and past the blue gates at res. The rest of DCU's campus is public and CTYI cannot legally stop you going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Originally posted by OrangeRhino
    1. Let's see, with friday study we do nine and a half hours study a week. With the old system it was ten hours, and it's better just getting it all out of the way and having 48 hours devoid of any study. Which is a good thing.™

No wonder study seemed to fly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Friday study was grand, because it made the wekend seem longer.

Re: the rules thing

I had no trouble this year as far as i remember, but last year Breifne tried to get me in ****e for nothing. Just cus he was a bastard.

I thought they were slightly too strict this year, as there were times, unlike last year, where the RA's would say "sure, we're willing to listen to your suggestions" then wouldn't pass them on, or would and they weren't listened to.

The blanchardstown thing was rigged. the maneouvered everyone in the place towards voting for blanchardstown to make it seem democratic.

• Advertisement

Neil, as Breifne's biggest enemy ... he was bang on. He didn't just make stuff up, seriously. He might have been a bit more anal about stuff when it suited him, but he was a great RA nonetheless. I guess me and Bref (a.k.a my biological father) have a love / hate relationship.

I don't remember any ****ing vote for Blanch / Grafton Street! God Dammit! When did said vote occur?

We got to vote cus of the much complaining from people in S1.

Bob, Breifne started accusing me of being out of bounds near the end of S1 last year. Out by the Site office when i had been down by the Sports centre and the Res the whole time. That i call making up bullsh1t.

Oh! That sorts it out, only S2 got to vote. Thank God I wasn't going mental! Anyway, Neil ... Breifne was messin' with ya. He did that to loads of people, made up ******** excuses to give out to them and as soon as they were out of earshot he broke his ****e laughing at them. He did it to me once or twice until I wisened up to him. He was a funny ****er really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Miss-Misery

Ok,well i wasn't there this year but here are my thoughts. It seemed sad. I thought visiting would be depressing and all 'i want to go back' provoking. The people i visited kept talking bout how much they couldn't wait to go home at the weekends. Thats not CTYI for these people. The atmosphere was all wrong. The campus visiting is just 'no'. The only reason i wasn't kicked out was because the only authority person who recognised me was sound,but they said if anyone else found me i would be. Is the thing about a dress code true? My thoughts on Breifne was that he was power mad,and a bit of an asshole. He refused to let me get water during a disco ( the water in the bathrooms was scalding) or get some for me and as a result i collapsed, and he still wouldn't do anything...

I dunno, I liked Brefine ... as much of an asshole as he was to me, he made me run around for twenty minutes before the last disco. His reasoning: (a) because he could, (b) to get me nice and smelly. I still blame my lack of scorage on him, it's not my repulsive looks dammit! It was Bref's fault!

• Advertisement

Forgot to say. The no visiting thing isn't new, i have memories of thom,eman and phil being chased out during 2000,and possibly 1999 as well.It should be changed,but its obviously just a way of trying to stop drink and drugs getting into ctyi.

I was asked to leave last year, until I reminded the RA ... I forget who, that DCU was a public campus and I was just visiting Spar. The fact that CTYI students just happened to be going back ro res after classes was totally unrelated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

My ra group voted grafton street and at least 4 others, but they felt it was safer to bring us to blanchardstown. brillant :mad:

Miss-Misery: who are you btw?

i didnt want to go home at the weekends, but i know a fair few of my friends did, which was annoying. I think they reached the peak of strictness when they asked someone to "stand on the other side of a fence when that area was not classed as "out of bounds".

I know none of my RA group, hell, no-one I knew wanted to leave CTYI for the weekends this year. I know a couple wanted to see their folks which resulted in them leaving CTYI, but none left CTYI just to get away from the place. I don't see how anyone would, CTYI is brilliant and no matter what anyone says the RAs this year were brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

um.....
    Friday study was ok,

grafton street always, tried to get there for the session 2 peeps, but failed horribly.
    Lights out at 10.30? some nights i didn't close dukman's laptop until 3/4/5. and i mean it! (but what else are you supposed to do with 10 megabit ethernet connection, and using dcu's T1 line all on your own?)

Hmph, my identity is hopefully unknown, foobar. And i'm trying to remember who you are? Are you Neil? or am i confused...

Did you come visit? and was i talking to you?

Did you or the person you were there with go up and get a free dinner by any chance?

Well you didn't answer my question so i'm still not sure who you are so i don't know. Possibly. Free dinner? i wasn't carrying around my trusty 30 foot barge pole. I'm not that much of a masochist

Ok then.

Yes, i am Neil.

• Advertisement

Then yes,i did talk to you. But hopefully you still don't know who i am. I like all this anonymity and Eoins best laid plans to identify me have failed

ok, so if i have the facts straight, then you visited this session, were not able to come back this year, and are female, and i talked to you while you were there.

Therefore, i guess.....Jess?

Nopes

Simon, you my friend were not the only one using that connection right into the wee hours. I didn't sleep for the first few days I was there 'cos of that damn connection. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭qwidgybo

ok,haven't read all this thread,so i might be reiterating,but giving out about lights out at 10:30??come on!you people are supposed to be talented!!we have to be in class at nine o'clock every morning,and we have to be awake in class-lights out should remain at 10:30 to encourage us not to spend the whole night awake.WE NEED SLEEP!!if lights out were any later,we'd be even more sleep-deprived and even less awake in class(hate to remind you,that's the point of ctyi,even if we all do take more out of social time)

as for the rules et al,ctyi are just trying to save their own asses.they can't afford to have any trouble,any complaints,and law suits over accidents or anything-it's not ctyi's fault-it's society.you might think it's a bit of a cop-out to blame society,but it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

read what you just wrote, and see if it makes sense. no? i wonder why. at least 1/2 dozen people i know at ctyi were insomniacs, me included. we are made for the night!! that's why everything looks cooler then

Actually Plasticman, what Aideen wrote does make sense.

On average i'd say, no one (except one person) went to sleep at 10.30.

Now, lets say that on average everyone went to bed at 12.00 or say, excluding those who wer insomniacs (Its impossible to get to sleep on those beds!).

If they moved that to 11.00 for lights, people would tend to stay up even later.

Also, as usual, people's parents are assholes and would most likely complain that their "Little darling wasn't getting enough sleep! Boo Fecking hoo etc."

I can definitely understand that point. Don't necessarily agree totally with it, but understand it.

Neil, there were a couple of people who did go to sleep at 10:30. They were the ones who were able to fully open there eyes before 11AM. And, girls tended to go to sleep later than guys. Mainly because they enjoy, and can, talk to each other until three and four o' clock in the morning. Fellas would talk until two or three, then sleep. Unless there was a PC in the room. It's a silly rule, but you can't say it's an unreasonable rule.

That was my point bob. That was what i was trying to get across by pointing out the idiocy of plsaticmans post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

i stand corrected. but i still only slept from 5-6.30 every day, and my room-mate was a guy who fell asleep @ 11, and even when he was awake was incredibly boring :(

Advertisement