Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I been thinking

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Oh come on, if you wanna goto bed early no-ones gonna stop ya. i can managed several days without sleep, but with 2-5 hours i'm fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

I find no real point in staying awake for days for no reason, if you have a project to finish or whatever then maybe a couple of days. But staying awake for no reason is pointless. I function perfectly on 8 hours or more of sleep, anything below and I don't work to my full potential. Sure, I can still work but not the best I can.

Now, this is coming from a guy who has to be up at 4AM for work most mornings and doesn't go to bed until 3AM most mornings. Yes, it causes problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

i only did it once or twice, and not at dcu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Ech, my PD-supporting roommate talked to me for hours on end about refugees and Travellers in the nights, leaving me with something close to sleep deprivation the first week. So I can relate with lights out at 10:30, but I don't honestly think the staff believe we go to sleep at that time, or anything. And didn't I see the occasional visitor in the last week? I can't remember.

But as for the rules, I didn't see any real enstrictitude from last year, I think I got it worse in 2000 than in this year. And Friday night study? It rocked, we got to "find product placements in" (i.e. watch) old episodes of Friends. So... yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

Back in the day (CTYI 00), I commuted from near Tallaght. I survived the 3 weeks on 4 hours sleep a night. Hell, I slept most of the morning (well until the first of our frequent coffeebreaks, come back Aine all is forgiven!). Thing is though, i did that for the whole 6 years of secondary school too. i just dont function in the mornings, and that worries me for college cos its 2 buses to either UCD or DCU (my first 7 choices), and imagine me at 7am at the bus stop! Damn, that aint pretty.
    Back to the point, even if I had slept at 10.30 at CTYI 01, id still have been bolloxed till about 11am and thats just the way I am. People are gonig to talk into the small hours anyway, so the RAs shouldnt piss you off for doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I remember my first week this year :)
    at about 12 i'd start talking, and talking and talking, I'd go int oa robotic trance and jsut bull****. Hell I'm pretty sure that night i spent with dukman that at differant points i fell asleep then woke up and started talking again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Friday study = good. Come on. It ended at 8:30, you got to go and do something pointless afterwards, and your weekend lasted until Monday morning.

Blanchardstown trip = bad. Everyone wanted to go into town... sure, it wasn't as bad as the trip to Wexford (shudder) but still, bring back the Grafton Street trip!

As for strictness... ack. This year was less CTYI and more boot camp. It was the little things. Like having lights out *right* after the disco ended. The RAs ordering you to stop *talking* after lights out... well, that could have just been mine. Bleh. Or that ridiculous rule that had to be brought in about CTYI students not being allowed see any 15's movies. *fumes* I think that the longer CTYI is in existence, the more 'official' it has to become, so it's just going to get worse.

Of course, this could just be me looking back on previous years with rose-tinted glasses through the haze of nostalgia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

aww. I feel for you. I still love you.

Advertisement