Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night work?

• 07-09-2001 3:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Anyone got any ideas on Night/shift work?
    Hours can't encroach on 9-6 during the day but anything other than that considered.

Something like warehouse/hospital porter maybe? Thoughts? Offers? smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Perfect thing Net Cafe I work 12 to 8 in the morning thats where I am right now and you get to play loads of games as well very nice work realy smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [-UK-]Wolf:
    Perfect thing Net Cafe I work 12 to 8 in the morning thats where I am right now and you get to play loads of games as well very nice work realy smile.gif</font>

Hmmm interesting... Used to work in one in the good old days too... dropping you an e-mail smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,464 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I used to try to hold down two jobs and study part-time - ended up a jibbering idiot after about 6 months. Strictly spreaking you are not meant to work more that 48 hours a week (there is an obligation on your employer to monitor this). This 48 hours can be averaged over various periods of time.

ORGANISATION OF WORKING TIME (CODE OF PRACTICE ON COMPENSATORY REST AND RELATED MATTERS) (DECLARATION) ORDER, 1998

<snip>

4. The Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997, sets out statutory rights for employees in respect of rest, maximum working time and holidays. In summary, the key provisions of the Act on minimum rest and maximum working time are as follows:
    • maximum average net weekly working time of 48 hours;
    • a daily rest break of 11 consecutive hours;
    • rest breaks while at work;
    • a weekly rest break of 24 consecutive hours;
    • maximum average night working of 8 hours;
    • maximum hours of work for night workers engaged in work involving special hazards or a heavy physical or mental strain — an absolute limit of 8 hours in a 24 hour period.

<snip>

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    I used to try to hold down two jobs and study part-time - ended up a jibbering idiot after about 6 months. Strictly spreaking you are not meant to work more that 48 hours a week (there is an obligation on your employer to monitor this). </font>

Thanks for the info.. Actually I'm not *working* during the day hours I just need to be at home. Interestingly any companies I've been in contact with already were indeed quite strict about this, fair enough I reckon there's no point working yourself into the ground anyway smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you could always be a security guard like me and work simply beautiful 12 hour night shifts where u sit on your arse all night and read the paper :)

God I need a new job, anything!! .... tech support even...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rymus
    you could always be a security guard like me and work simply beautiful 12 hour night shifts where u sit on your arse all night and read the paper :)

Weird, I actually applied for something along those lines today :)

I sent you a private message and would be v.grateful if you could provide more info. E-mail me direct. Thanks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

uuugh!
    anything that involves 12 hour shifts and night work is bad.
    ask any of my friends. i worked 12 shifts day and night for 4 and a half years. i was so sick all the time. i was tired and lets face it the pay was crap. people tell you that it has its advantages. yeah, like being of on a a wednesday morning when all your mates are out in a proper job.
    if thats what you want then great, but no offence, but shift work is really the bottom of the ladder as far as im concerned, and i feel well able to comment on it due to the fact that i worked my way up out of it. mond you, i did drop 6 grand to do it. just depends on your priorities, but if you can help it, i wouldnt even start there. unless of course you are ding the night shift in nasa space control :)

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    uuugh!
    anything that involves 12 hour shifts and night work is bad.

I appreciate the concern and having done shift-work (including nights) for many years before I am not exactly relishing the thought of it again.

However I am unavailable during the day and circumstances dictate that more money comes in that is happening right now. So I don't really have a lot of alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

never a truer word spoken wwman. shift work is the pits. I've applied for a tech support job which I'm praying I'll get. part time for the moment and still the money is better than the security job.

So somebody say a prayer for me that I get the job and end up working all days (ohh bliss) and about 30 miles closer to home (bliss bliss)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

Originally posted by Bluehair
    Hi folks

Anyone got any ideas on Night/shift work?
    Hours can't encroach on 9-6 during the day but anything other than that considered.

Something like warehouse/hospital porter maybe? Thoughts? Offers? smile.gif

Have you considered Hotel night porter, usually 11pm-8am.

Worth a thought.

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've heard that data entry is a lucrative form of night work. The only thing I heard was that one can get a job from a recruitment company (?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Gordon
    I've heard that data entry is a lucrative form of night work. The only thing I heard was that one can get a job from a recruitment company (?).

shift work is not really well liked for the most obvious of reasons.
    it shouldnt be too hard to get a job doing data entry at night or whatever.
    look in the evening hearld small adds.
    this where a lot of the 'lesser' or less popular jobs lurk.
    people selling jobs nowdays have a tendency to pick up only the best.
    or try marlbourgh group recruitment.
    they spent about 3 years trying to offer me crappy night shift jobs.
    the bas7ards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thats cos your a pe0n tho :)

Advertisement