Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Programmers"

Options
  • 31-07-2002 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

It was an open university program that was on this morning. I missed the first bit but the program was excellent.

Went through the history of Software Development and the people who developed the software. Intresting to know that at one time Software Engineering was a female dominated industry.

I've had a look at the BBC Site but it doesn't seem to be on again. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/lzone/results.shtml?it_all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Was that the one where they started off talking about OO, and where it came from, and why. Then in to Sun Microsystems, and discussed how they created a language called "Oak" initially for embedded consumer products. This language then went on to become what is known as Java today.

Yeah?. If so I'm well annoyed, coz I watched that the last time, and my VCR was broken, so I couldn't record it. Feck!

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Java didn't even get a mention except in a really cool "Family tree" of coding languages (which I'd like as a poster).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

This website gives you a full listing of the Open University programmes that are on BBC.

http://www.open2.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

No family tree graphics either.
    Dear Mr ...,

Many thanks for your enquiry. The Programmers is part of our course Computing: An Object-oriented Approach (M206) and, I'm afraid, we have no plans to show it again until March 2003. Neither do we have any pages, such as the "wallpaper" family tree you mention, to support the programmers.

I'm sorry I can't give you better news, but hope you continue to find our broadcasts informative and enjoyable.

Best wishes,

Polly Frazer
    BBC/Open University
    Viewer and Listener Information Officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Oh well, I'm sure it was good. But I'm glad it wasn't the one I was talking about. I would have been well annoyed missing the opportunity to record that again.

Some of those OU programmes are quite interesting, IMO :)

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement