Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worldcom - not this is NOT good news

Options
  • 31-07-2002 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

The Wall Street Journal reports that a top US telecommunications regulator has said that the government may be unable to prevent WorldCom from abruptly terminating its Internet services. The comment by Federal Communication Commission chairman Michael Powell came at a hearing of the Senate Commerce Committee called to explore the impact on telecom services of the bankruptcy filings and accounting scandals in the sector. Powell assured legislators he could force WorldCom to continue providing phone services to customers, but he was unsure if he had the legal authority to stop the company from shutting down its UUNET subsidiary's Internet backbone. Powell's remarks prompted calls in Congress for sweeping legislation to expand the FCC's authority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

jesus, there is no way, no way the states will let this happen and worldcom woudl be a double pariah if they did this..

i hope

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's not particularly bad news either though, since Worldcom are pretty likely to pull out of chapter 11 (at least in my view). Plus of course there's a good deal of separation between WC and UU.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Worldcom have $2B of debtor finance to get them thru + some of their own cash + incoming bills.

Kpnqwest failed because the banks were preferred creditor, thereby negating the deire by anyone else to supply any finance whatsoever. Chapter 11 is more lenient and attempts to enure the continuity of the entity.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

It sounds like the regulator is simply posturing - in search of more powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

I cant see WCom going under - let alone UUnet....to much at stake for all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I think, most likely Worldcom's infrastructure will be bought up by competitors where needed, however the problem will be lack of competition forcing up prices.

For us in Ireland, though, backbone costs are the least of our concerns. Phone bills are the big deal here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

agree with Vinny's reading of the situatin.

Completely Agree SkepticOne but it's the old knock on effect - if IP transit costs increase guess what will happen next - also it will increase the cost of leased lines to other potential ISP's - you cant view these things in isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by crawler
    Completely Agree SkepticOne but it's the old knock on effect - if IP transit costs increase guess what will happen next - also it will increase the cost of leased lines to other potential ISP's - you cant view these things in isolation.
    So you reckon it will have a minor impact here?

Tusk! the old give 'em a bit of rope and let 'em hang themselves! I am guessing you know the answer to these questions.....look at INEX and who peers there.....then look at LINX and who peers there - look at who provides the IP transit to the US and look at the likes of AC1 & AC2.

I dont thnk the impact would be dramatic but it gives the struggling Telcos ( which is every Telco ) an excuse to hype rates , which let's be honest on the global market are being sold below cost anyway....

In isolation a Wcom death may not be hugely upsetting but a Wcom , GC and Quest death would!

• Advertisement
Advertisement