Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telly Problems

Options
  • 31-07-2002 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Anybody got some expertise on Telly issues.

Got a Phillips 21" nicam st. It has started to act up. The picture is not filling the screen - it has moved up from the bottom about 1/3 and about 1" down from the top. Have tried everything to fix it - at least I think I have.

ANY ideas................

Could it be the tube? It is about 3 or 4 years old

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I'd say the tube is on the way out........ Very expensive to replace. May aswell buy a new TV, unless its under warrenty.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wow, a tube only 3/4 years old going is unlucky but then its a Phillips, not a Toshiba. You get what you pay for...what did you pay as a matter of interest.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i have a 21" tv in my room its cool because i can watch sunset beach and

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by sonic10
    i have a 21" tv in my room its cool because i can watch sunset beach and

You're a sick man:D

Oh if it is a tube, if you batter the side/top of the tv it can send the picture right......... however it wont fix the problem. Just "mend" it for a while.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by mike65
    Wow, a tube only 3/4 years old going is unlucky but then its a Phillips, not a Toshiba. You get what you pay for.

He, He. Never buy phillips. Dont like em at all. Sony are the best. My 32" (I could go on for ages explaining it) is great :D

Anywho, Check your warrenty. Some companys can give you like a 5 year warrenty cos they think there stuff will never stop working .... though doubt that with phillips. Ring the phillips store in Dublin... as far as i know they do do repairs but get a price of em. Sometimes it can cost more to get it repaired then it can to get a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

From previous experience with Phillips they charge an awful lot for repairs.
    My Phillips tv had this problem where when you switched it on the volume was at max. This always happened, so it was brought to Phillips and they quoted some outrageous fee to get it fixed. Brought it to a local TV repair shop and they did it for a fraction of the price Phillips were charging.
    So if the tele is not under warranty I would not recommend Phillips to repair it.

Originally posted by Lump
    I'd say the tube is on the way out........ Very expensive to replace. May aswell buy a new TV, unless its under warrenty.

John

It doesbnt matter what the brand is, if its the tube everyone charges loads........ (the tube is the tv like)

John

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CareerSearcher

Thanks for comments Guys 'n Gals.

Been on the hols and thought it would have fixed itself but no luck. Tried thumping it but to no avail.

General concensus is the tube...!

At least I have 3/4 of the picture. Probably get a quote to fix and dump if it is too much. Better putting money into a better, bigger, flatter version.

Any ideas on a good one to go for at reasonable price?

Anyhow, thanks for the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While I cant quote any prices I'd go for a Mitsubishi Black Diamond
    as a good VFM buy, they are always in my good books for the VCR we had by them that lasted 14 years (1984-1998) and gave a better picture than the Sharp I replaced it with. It was built
    like a tank and never complained.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement