Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer **** up :(

• 31-07-2002 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

Just built a new computer and had everything working perfect, but then, when i moved it to my friends house, and set everything up again, it wouldn't play any games...something to do with the use of the video display i'm assuming because it wouldn't allow me to run a screensaver. - The error it gave was DINPUT.DLL missing or something...now, i don't have the internet so i started to delete everything with the hope of reinstalling and everything would be back to normal. This was not the case. - Then i wanted to reformat drive C:/ and just reinstall all of the drivers and software and hopefully everything would be back to normal, but when i right-clicked on drive C: and clicked "reformat", it wouldn't allow me. I then went into MSDos mode and again it wouldn't allow me.

Any suggestions as to how i might be able to reformat in a different way? Or just get the computer back to the way i first had it?

I'm running Win 98 SE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Try reinstalling directx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

i tried that - didn't work :( ..anyway, at the moment, i have half-deleted everything but they're not uninstalled properly (i done this while mad and not thinking) and now everything is, well...****ed - so all i really need for now is a reformat, then i will see if i get DINPUT.DLL back or not -

any ideas on how i can reformat, apart from the ones stated in my first post?..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

make a boot floppy, boot up in dos mode
    and run fdisk

should sort you out

maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Format C:\
    Reinstall Windows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

If your hardware supports it (ie. has compatible drivers) I'd recommend installing Windows 2000 or even WindowsXP. Less conflicts like those in Win98. I wouldn't dream of going back to Win95/98 after using 2k and Xp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Boot up your Pc with whatever version of Windows u want in the drive. Format from the windows installer and start again.
    Its actually that easy.

Copy this to C:\windows\system
    If it will not allow you delete the corrupt DINPUT.DLL in DOS

To format the disk:

Boot to the startup disk
    Type: A:\format c:

The disk will format.

Originally posted by Diabolus
    Boot up your Pc with whatever version of Windows u want in the drive. Format from the windows installer and start again.
    Its actually that easy.

it's not; when i put windows back into the cd drive, then reboot, it simply just loads up windows as usual - it doesn't give me an option saying "reformat" ..or any options for that matter..

Originally posted by Ryo Hazuki
    Copy this to C:\windows\system
    If it will not allow you delete the corrupt DINPUT.DLL in DOS

To format the disk:

Boot to the startup disk
    Type: A:\format c:

The disk will format.

thank you, that will sort the dinput.dll problem out - but i still want to reformat..i never tried an actuall floppy disk yet whilst starting up ...i'll create one tomorrow - A start up disk is just the same as the windows cd, yes?

You need to make a BOOT DISK
    Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control panel and Click on the startup disk tab. Strangely You will need One Floppy Disk.

Restart Windows
    Put the windows "CD-ROM"disk in the (you guessed it) cd drive.

Put the Boot disk you Just made in the floppy drive.

Pick "Start computer with CD-ROM Support"

Wait untill A:\ appears on screen.

Type: format c:

Wait till its finished.

Type e:\setup

Windows installer will guide you now luke

• Advertisement

Print this before formatting as you wont be able to read it when you format oh too late........

that should sort everything out - the floppy disk drive was bought from komplett (a basic NEC one), not a retail version so i didn't get any driver cd...i'll d/l the drivers tonight

thx

i've already posted a new thread about this but if you know where i can get them...do post..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You don't need other drivers for the floppy drive, just make sure it's connected properly. You should be able to make your computer boot off CD in the BIOS. If you decide you really need to format and reinstall, follow these steps: (assuming your CD drive is D: )

Boot off your Win98 CD, select boot with CD-ROM support.
    format your C drive
    create a c:\windows\options\cabs directory and copy everything from D:\win98 into it
    from the cabs directory run "setup /ie"

Robert's your father's brother.

i only wish.. :/

when i boot up with the win98 cd in the cd-drive, it simply loads windows as usual, and doesn't stop half-way through booting to give me an option of booting from cd-rom or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

ok doky back to basics here,

Have you set the BIOS(press and hold F2 on boot) to boot from the cdrom drive first, alterntively press and hold F8 before Windows boots to bring up the startup options.

Just set the BIOS to boot from the cd rom and follow SICO`s advice, any probs feel free to post

interesting....thx

f2 and f8...that's what i was looking for..but i doubt it's that simple :) ..i'll give it a try tomorrow and get back to ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

By the way Nick, you can download a bootdisk image from

http://www.bootdisk.com/

If you get stuck.

thx people, everything is back to normal - that f8 and format C: did the trick :D

Advertisement