Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ford Capri

Options
  • 31-07-2002 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Does anybody have any ideas what the new capri will look like? Its supposed to be back in 2 years time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope it comes with furry dice as standard... ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

buy this weeks (actually by the time i post this it'll be last weeks) auto express. the new capri is on the front.

basically in my mind its more of a mondeo coupe although not on the same chassis.. its shorter and stumpier than the ill-fated probe and cougars but slightly longer and much sleeker looking than the car it replaces, the puma.
    it has the new ford frontend. i'd guess at about the 180/200bhp level (using hopefully the mondeo's st200/whatever its called now, v6)

i like it. and i hated the puma/cougar/probe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Perhaps this is the influence of those "I Love the not-very-distant-past, weren't things crazy back then" programs.

Now if we could just get Opel to resurrect the Manta we'd be in business...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Bring back the MANTA !!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Doesnt matter whether you call it the capri or not- theres still nothing like a 3.0litre v6 mark 1.Animal of a car.I know that the capri also came in 1.6 AND 2.0 lt engines but it was the looks that made it so popular plus the fact that you could put in high lift camshafts,uprated valves headgasket etc and gain a few more BHP.Even my mates one had a fur lined interior-classy at the time(just lewd now)-like a pimpmobile.
    Btw the probe was supposed to be the capri`s replacement but didnt sell well cos it was a bucket of $hit due to Ford using Mazda technology/engines in it.
    I quite liked the Puma but again it wasnt a capri beater-1.4 and 1.7 litre engines only cmon.
    As for the cougar-in tests it was beaten by a 2.0 litre Vectra.Say no more.

Hopefully this new one will give us plenty of BHP and something to rival the classics of yesteryear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 VinceBlack

The original Capri was a great car. The 2.8 sport was the best model to go for. My aunt had a measly 1.6 but of course I was about 12 at the time and could not drive it.

The 2.8 sport would do 140 and hit 60 in around 7 seconds. Jump sliding over the bonnet like Bodie and Doyle is optional.

I saw a 3.0 litre Manta recently, I think the driver was wearing a chest wig and a medallion! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by VinceBlack
    The original Capri was a great car. The 2.8 sport was the best model to go for. My aunt had a measly 1.6 but of course I was about 12 at the time and could not drive it.

The 2.8 sport would do 140 and hit 60 in around 7 seconds.

They also came with a 1.3 (cough!). The main problem with the Capri apart from perception was it would'nt go round corners with any conviction. As for the "new" model, plainly it has no connection with its namesake and will proberly be very good
    as a result.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Lads...
    Any online pics yet? I am dying to see the new Capri...
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Unlike the new GT40 a new Capri will never beat the old one. /me contemplates the past. I'm thinking of getting one of the oldies at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 VinceBlack

Originally posted by mike65

They also came with a 1.3 (cough!).

*** Good for cutting the grass but not much more. :D

The main problem with the Capri apart from perception was it would'nt go round corners with any conviction. As for the "new" model, plainly it has no connection with its namesake and will proberly be very good
    as a result.

*** LOL very true but the history and 'The Professionals' is why people would buy an old capri ghia.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement